Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Hair Color/toner/highlights....

20 posts in this topic

So i need to get my hair toned down a little to a brown, however my salon uses Goldwell products which contain a wheat protien, of course!

ANy suggestions as to what I can do? I WONT do it myself, cause i dont trust myself....

If i have to buy my own product and bring it into her what hair color products are safe?

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I use Clairol Nice and Easy, which reads gluten-free according to the ingredients, and I've used it 4 or 5 times without problems.

I used Garnier Nutrisse last time and really liked it, and it reads gluten free, too.

I use Feria by Loreal. I contacted the company and was told there was no gluten whatsoever in the product.

Thanks

Another forum, they are telling me that it is ok to use the color with wheat, because there is almost no chance you'll ingest it. And it will eventually wash off cause its just the protein that makes it stick...

im confused?!

Believe me, I'm no expert on this, but I was under the impression that the wheat was used for conditioning purposes. Some companies use silk or soy proteins instead. I don't see how it would make the color stick--my color lasts for a good 8 weeks.

Thanks

Another forum, they are telling me that it is ok to use the color with wheat, because there is almost no chance you'll ingest it. And it will eventually wash off cause its just the protein that makes it stick...

im confused?!

I also think that the wheat would be washed away. If you do decide to try it out, just make sure that the shampoo or conditionor doesn't get into your mouth after the first week or so of washes.

Since you're darkening your hair and it's already been lightened previously, you might want to consider using a demipermanent color, which doesn't contain lighteners (bleach or ammonia) and is gentler.

Im kinda torn...i bring my own conditioner into the salon, but im not quite sure if just the color would be ok....i get that it would get washed away but im still not sure....

does anyone use color without worrying whats in it?

Well, I did have my hair highlighted last summer, and the dye/toner had wheat protein in it. This is coming from a person literally never eats out and worries about CC constantly, so doing this was a *huge* leap of faith for me. And I was fine--I told my hairdresser the situation, and I kept my mouth firmly shut as she rinsed out the dye in case any splashed up in my face when she rinsed my hair. When I washed my hair at home afterward, I did the same thing and was very careful. I never got sick, and I'm micro-sensitive.

However, as nervous as it all made me, I don't know if I would do it again, but I know it's possible to do it safely.

Im kinda torn...i bring my own conditioner into the salon, but im not quite sure if just the color would be ok....i get that it would get washed away but im still not sure....

does anyone use color without worrying whats in it?

yeah, I do... I don't worry about what's in my hair color... I used to be a hairdresser and I do my own color, but I buy the pro stuff at Sally's...

I have had some mysterious accidental glutenings, but I don't think they had anything to do with hair color.

Thanks guys it made me feel a lot better, i didnt feel like searching for a gluten-free toner...the ones at my salon are so good!!

Never thought about hair color ... and I thought I'd checked everything! :blink: Most of the time I just get bleached highlights ... my hair's pretty light anyway, but occassionally get lowlights, too, so I'll have to check them out next time; but just to be aware to be careful for some time afterward as I'll still get them. I would think the bleach would be okay. I've already checked all the other stuff she uses. Gosh, this list of things to check seems never-ending!

I don't trust myself with doing my own color. I only go to Aveda salons, and I know most of their stuff has wheat, but I haven't gotten sick. I'm just careful for a few days.

Is the Goldwell hair color gluten free? I don't want to take any chances!!

Thanks!

I don't trust myself with doing my own color. I only go to Aveda salons, and I know most of their stuff has wheat, but I haven't gotten sick. I'm just careful for a few days.

You don't have to avoid wheat in hair color unless you have a topical allergy to wheat. No one should ever get color into their mouths anyway and unless you are a hair chewer, it should not be a problem...as you have discovered. Color does not absorb into the skin as peroxide is used and that burns off quickly once it hits air.It's a chemical reaction.

I have colored my hair for years and use Framesi hair color. I have no idea whether it contains wheat or not because I don't ingest it. I have never, ever had any problems with it and I am super sensitive....I don't eat from shared lines as I have gotten sick from doing that. Hair color is not a worry unless there are other allergies at play.

Is the Goldwell hair color gluten free? I don't want to take any chances!!

Thanks!

This thread is from 2006. As the pp mentioned if you don't have a topical reaction you probably don't need to worry about it. I have topical reactions however (due to a wheat allergy) and do try to look into everything so I understand why you would ask. You will probably get better (and more up-to-date) answers by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Garnier Nutrisse original with avocado/grapeseed oil (2011) is gluten free.

I have very sensitive skin and haven't had any problems.

I do not use any sort of conditioner with any sort of wheat/gluten/oat products, I refuse to get that oily residue smeared all over the place.

While it is somewhat controversial over whether or not topical applications make a difference, those of us who have had longer hair and past problems with shampoos/conditioners are happier with the results of careful avoidance. Soy (why, oh why do they put this in shampoo) makes my scalp slightly itchy now, also, but in the past I've had some real intense reactions to shampoos and could never figure out the common allergen chemical.

___

edited to add if you want natural hair care tips you can check out the Long Hair Forum (even if you have short hair) for ideas.

Apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and shea butter are your friends!

Does anybody have any good products for hair color? My stylist has always used Goldwell products but just found they contain gluten and the only one that doesn't has two ingredients in it that my doctor doesn't want me to use. PLEAE HELP. Have to get my hair done for daughter's wedding in the next two weeks and haven't found anything yet!!! Email me

Ok, it's way expensive to start but after the initial cost, I cannot recommend dreamcatchers hair extensions enough! My hair was so dry from all my deficiencies, & I splurged (when I could affORD it, & got them). They stay inyour hair like your own normal hair & u can wash it less often & they always look great. U never have to color them. You just get your roots touched up every so often & I have a stylist who knows my health issues. So I get the roots (but my extenstions blend so well that I hardly see my roots until it's a disaster (which it never really is). Then I just get partial foils. My hair looks luxurious all the time. I wash it and let it air dry. I barely do anything to it. I can sleep in a braid & wake up with spiral curls. I can brush it straight. Instead of haIr cuts, I go every other month and have them pulled up. I'm seriously Ill (that's another story) so the extensions have been a great investment & it's nice to have pretty hair when ur sick & cant deal with worrying about it. Aa for conditioners, I used to search for the perfect products but I dont need them now! It's expensive, I warn u, but only for the initial hair.

I always appli cider vinegar as well coconut oil and they have given me great results.