19 replies to this topic

#1 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

So i need to get my hair toned down a little to a brown, however my salon uses Goldwell products which contain a wheat protien, of course!
ANy suggestions as to what I can do? I WONT do it myself, cause i dont trust myself....
If i have to buy my own product and bring it into her what hair color products are safe?
Thanks.
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

I use Clairol Nice and Easy, which reads gluten-free according to the ingredients, and I've used it 4 or 5 times without problems.

I used Garnier Nutrisse last time and really liked it, and it reads gluten free, too.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

I use Feria by Loreal. I contacted the company and was told there was no gluten whatsoever in the product.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks
Another forum, they are telling me that it is ok to use the color with wheat, because there is almost no chance you'll ingest it. And it will eventually wash off cause its just the protein that makes it stick...
im confused?!

Boston, MA

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

Believe me, I'm no expert on this, but I was under the impression that the wheat was used for conditioning purposes. Some companies use silk or soy proteins instead. I don't see how it would make the color stick--my color lasts for a good 8 weeks.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thanks
Another forum, they are telling me that it is ok to use the color with wheat, because there is almost no chance you'll ingest it. And it will eventually wash off cause its just the protein that makes it stick...
im confused?!

I also think that the wheat would be washed away. If you do decide to try it out, just make sure that the shampoo or conditionor doesn't get into your mouth after the first week or so of washes.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

Since you're darkening your hair and it's already been lightened previously, you might want to consider using a demipermanent color, which doesn't contain lighteners (bleach or ammonia) and is gentler.
Nothing

#8 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

Im kinda torn...i bring my own conditioner into the salon, but im not quite sure if just the color would be ok....i get that it would get washed away but im still not sure....

does anyone use color without worrying whats in it?

Boston, MA

#9 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

Well, I did have my hair highlighted last summer, and the dye/toner had wheat protein in it. This is coming from a person literally never eats out and worries about CC constantly, so doing this was a *huge* leap of faith for me. And I was fine--I told my hairdresser the situation, and I kept my mouth firmly shut as she rinsed out the dye in case any splashed up in my face when she rinsed my hair. When I washed my hair at home afterward, I did the same thing and was very careful. I never got sick, and I'm micro-sensitive.

However, as nervous as it all made me, I don't know if I would do it again, but I know it's possible to do it safely.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#10 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

Im kinda torn...i bring my own conditioner into the salon, but im not quite sure if just the color would be ok....i get that it would get washed away but im still not sure....

does anyone use color without worrying whats in it?

yeah, I do... I don't worry about what's in my hair color... I used to be a hairdresser and I do my own color, but I buy the pro stuff at Sally's...

I have had some mysterious accidental glutenings, but I don't think they had anything to do with hair color.

#11 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

Thanks guys it made me feel a lot better, i didnt feel like searching for a gluten-free toner...the ones at my salon are so good!!

Boston, MA

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

Never thought about hair color ... and I thought I'd checked everything! :blink: Most of the time I just get bleached highlights ... my hair's pretty light anyway, but occassionally get lowlights, too, so I'll have to check them out next time; but just to be aware to be careful for some time afterward as I'll still get them. I would think the bleach would be okay. I've already checked all the other stuff she uses. Gosh, this list of things to check seems never-ending!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#13 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

I don't trust myself with doing my own color. I only go to Aveda salons, and I know most of their stuff has wheat, but I haven't gotten sick. I'm just careful for a few days.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#14 mermaid64

mermaid64

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Is the Goldwell hair color gluten free? I don't want to take any chances!!
Thanks!

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

I don't trust myself with doing my own color. I only go to Aveda salons, and I know most of their stuff has wheat, but I haven't gotten sick. I'm just careful for a few days.

You don't have to avoid wheat in hair color unless you have a topical allergy to wheat. No one should ever get color into their mouths anyway and unless you are a hair chewer, it should not be a problem...as you have discovered. Color does not absorb into the skin as peroxide is used and that burns off quickly once it hits air.It's a chemical reaction.

I have colored my hair for years and use Framesi hair color. I have no idea whether it contains wheat or not because I don't ingest it. I have never, ever had any problems with it and I am super sensitive....I don't eat from shared lines as I have gotten sick from doing that. Hair color is not a worry unless there are other allergies at play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: