This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Alcohol (pototoe Vodka ) Drinks Cause Outbreak? Help Suggestions For The Dh Rash Which Is Out Of Control?

Guest ellyntoomey

grrtch Rookie

Uh, slurping on a kaluha and rice milk right now... thought it was safe. :( We'll see.

• 3 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lane R Rookie
Potato vodkas sold in the US:

Blue Ice (Idaho)

Chopin (Poland)

Teton Glacier (Idaho)

Luksusowa (Poland)

Also, 44 North, a huckleberry flavored vodka that is quite tasty is made from potatos in Idaho.

heli Newbie

After I found out that I have an intolerance to grapes, I had to give up wine. My husband bought me an expensive, aged Tequila. Severe gluten reaction. I haven't figured that out yet. I wonder if the aging process (in the oak barrels) has some way contributed to cross contamination. Any thoughts?

gfp Enthusiast
I was going to reply to my above post anyway because I realize that it was not clear, so I'll just do that here, as I had some questions about some of the things you wrote too.

First and foremost, I am not saying that no distillation process ever removes the gluten. What I AM saying is that according to my molecular biologist friend, SOME distillation processes MAY NOT remove all the gluten. It just depends on the process, as they vary from maker to maker.

Also, according to my friend, the higher quality the alcohol, the greater likelyhood that it IS gluten free, though, as with anything, we should always check.

My sister, who is also celiac, reacted to Sky Vodka, after consuming it. We thought that alcohol was safe, so we weren't even looking for a reaction. She just had one.

I have also had prblems with distilled things, and have no other food intollerances (other than nitrates, and that is a completely different kind of reaction - the reaction I get to alcohol is definitely a gluten reaction). But then again, I react to things made on equipment "shared with wheat". (Prior to noticing that on the label).

I don't understand why people who are new to the disease would react more than someone who was not "new". Could you explain that please?

Also, why would someone react to the whaet strands or fibers if all the gluten has been removed?

I'm not trying to be all psycho & "anti-distillation" here - this all started because I have had (and my sister has had) independent from one another reactions to distilled alcohols. So then I asked my friend, because it didn't make sense as to why, if this stuff is safe, we were reacting to it. I know that various people have different levels of reactions & sensitivity. Maybe I'm just really sensitive. Maybe there is something else I am reacting to.

Again, I am not in any way saying that no one should ingest distilled things. I am simply saying that it might not, as previously reported, be 100%, always safe.

Lil

Lillyth... I have been saying this for a LONG time.

I have spent a lot of my professional life working for the research departments of oil companies ...

and ANYONE who say's distillation always removes gluten does not understand distillation.

A company I worked for spent millions researching multiphase azeotropic distillation (which your molecular chemist will tell you is what alcohol distillation is) and it is a crapshoot. (perfect description)

When I modelled this I used one of the fastest most sophisticated supercomputers in the world ... at the time in the top 20 in the world ... we had pressure sensors measuring the tiniest fluctuation in air pressure and someone opening the doors before the air pressure could be stabilised in the double doored chameber would competely change the imputities of the distillate.

A change in air pressure of a few psi-ft (like it raining outside) will change the composition, sometimes drastically (and this was in a airpressure controlled environment, the machinary can't react fast enough). A change in temperature of 1/100th of a degree will do the same as will a change in the composition of the mash (which can never ever be the same anyway since its a biological process) and we were using known components measured to parts per billion ...

Still people post ALL DISTILLED ALCOHOL is gluten-free.....

I KNOW it isn't but I can't publish confidential research ... nor would most people here even understand it or even begin to understand it.

Meanwhile many celaics react to grain alcohol....

I wonder if the aging process (in the oak barrels) has some way contributed to cross contamination. Any thoughts?

Probably .... it rather depends what the barrels were used for last.

• 1 month later...
little flower Newbie
Regarding gluten in Kahlua, I found out from my local liquor store, - they checked with the manufacturer. The store manager has a long history of Celiac disease, so she and her staff go out of their way to educate and guide their customers with any form of gluten intolerance. Before finding out that Kahlua had gluten in it, I purchased a bottle of Kahlua from someone there that didn't know I couldn't have gluten, when the store manager found out, she had me drive 17 miles home and bring the bottle back. Same with Irish Cream. It was a sad day. I've learned to be a lot more careful since then.

I got accidently glutened by vodka. I never drink it, but the husband of a friend had hidden his secret supply in a bottle of mineral water... on a hot day I poured myself a glassful and took a big slug. I thought I'd drunk poisen, infront of his wife he said it was fertiliser so I phoned the anti-poisen centre and told them that; they said it shouldn't be a problem, so I didn't do anything about it. It burnt my throat, nose and ears, the only reason it didn't hurt my eyes was because I cried so much. He only told me it was vodka after I phoned him up and said it couldn't be fertiliser as it would kill the plants. A couple of days after I had the rash come up. Six months later I still have hearing problems. I only ever drink wine and don't have a problem with it.

brizzo Contributor

I too have a severe reaction to Kahlua. And yes, I understand that it is supposed to be gluten-free. But guess what ....It jacks me up. Tangueray Gin does me the same way. I think I am going to stick with Rum and Red Wine.

• 2 months later...
Katie618 Apprentice

Cold River Vodka is gluten-free!! and marketed as gluten-free (only sold in maine right now) as for cosmos-- if it is a cosmo mix, have to be careful with red 40

to someone else's comment about new celiacs have a worse reaction-- maybe cause our guts are still healing/hurting? when i was frist dx i couldnt tolerate ingredients that may or may not contain gluten (maltodextrin, modified food starch, etc) but now i can.

i react to all grain alcs no matter the distillation process

it sucks being a college student trying to gout to parties or bars-- i either have to bring my own alcohol cause i can't drink from the keg... i have to be careful at the bar that the soda fountain does touch the liquid of a previous drink , that the glasses are actually clean...

i'll just stick to wine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Guest starmiller

Has anyone tried Bard's Tale Beer? I am highly sensitive and I did not have any reaction. It is marketed as gluten-free - and I believe it is!

cchhrriiss Newbie

I called several potato vodka manufactures, and they said, they also use grains. Luksusowa said, they use 100% potato for theirs.

Guest starmiller
You have to also make sure that you are not using any shampoos, soaps or make-up with gluten. Alot of those products have gluten in them. Me and my kids will still break out if I am not careful.

Which brand of shampoo and soap do you use?

gfp Enthusiast
i react to all grain alcs no matter the distillation process

it sucks being a college student trying to gout to parties or bars-- i either have to bring my own alcohol cause i can't drink from the keg... i have to be careful at the bar that the soda fountain does touch the liquid of a previous drink , that the glasses are actually clean...

i'll just stick to wine

It sucks full stop.... my girlfriend works in a bar and her manager is moving on so after having ordered a drink I didn't really want to start off with ... her manager bought it... and we were in another bar at the time and the barmaid gave us all shots, which I had to decline anyway... (already getting that look) then she balances the shots over red-bull or something and does some neat trick like dominoes where she flicks one and they cascade drop into the whatever... splashing liquid all over the bar, in my drink and ...

So I have to leave my drink bought by someone else...

Archived