10 replies to this topic

#1 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:24 PM

Can anyone tell me if McDonalds french fries are gluten-free in Canada? Their fact sheet appears to show no gluten. If they are gluten-free, has anyone ever had a problem after consuming them?

Thanx, Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JsBaby_G

JsBaby_G

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:28 AM

Tracy,

I haven't a problem with them, I also haven't had a problem with thier hash browns. I live in Ontario. :blink:
Crystal

#3 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

Thanx Crystal. I guess i take my chances and hope the counter person does not have gluten on thier hands. I live in B.C.

tracy

#4 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:26 AM

Hi there. I live in the US, but my Mom (who is also Celiac, isn't the gene pool fun?) lives in Canada and has no problems with McD. fries. As far as worrying about the server having gluten on his hands, as far as I've seen McD. fries are always put in the little boxes with a special scoop, and are never touched by the employees. I personally am glad to know that thier fries are gluten-free, because that is something that doesn't need to be messed with, I mean potatoes aren't really that expensive...

#5 foxyfire24

foxyfire24

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:20 PM

Yes! Ive had a severe reaction to Mc Donald's fry's. I live in Barrie ONTARIO CAN. and the other day thinking that their fry's were okay had the super size. 10 mins, which is the normal time I react to gluten was all it took after eating the fry's. I had a really bad migrane and was sick to the point where i was throughing up every hour. It took me 2 weeks to recover from that incident. Now ive heard good things and bad things on Mc Donalds and i guss it all depends on how everyone react's. Everyone is diffrent. I still do not know why I was so sick and I know it was the fry's on the account that's all i had to eat all day. I hear that they coat their fry's in TBHQ. Somthing we Celiac's cant have. I got that information from the U.S. web site. In Canada im not sure if it would be the same here. If anyone know's more about that let me know cuz i would love to hear about it!

Danielle

#6 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:54 AM

My mom works in McD's in the US and the grease used for the frys is the same grease that they use for the chicken nuggets. And there's breading on the nuggets, right? So im i would say that the fries are bad! If im wrong im sry.

Joe Moe
Julianne

#7 Thomas

Thomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

I hope they don't use the oil from the Mcnuggets....

#8 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:07 PM

I live in kansas....and here they bake their nuggets in these little toaster oven things. Their fries are in dedicated fryers. The hashbrowns are the only other thing that go into them.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:23 PM

But some hash browns have wheat starch in the coatings, so be careful!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

They are listed on the United States McDonalds Website as Gluten Free!! So ENJOY!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#11 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

The fries and the hashbrowns in the US are gluten free. I don't know about Canada, but I can't see why they would be different. Only some restaurants use dedicated fryers though, so it is a good idea to ask. Especially if it is a McDonald's
Express station like they have at malls and gas stations. They don't have the room for dedicated fryers, so those places are not usually safe to have the fries/hashbrowns.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: