7 replies to this topic

#1 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:04 AM

My product listing of gluten-free products has listings for household products like diswashing liquid and laundry detergent and stuff like that.

If I don't have dermatitis herpetiformis, do I need to use these? There aren't many gluten-free ones listed. The only cleaners I'd be able to use are Seventh Generation (expensive!) and I'll miss my Cascade for the dishwasher (hate Polmolive!).

Is there a concern with the dishwasher gel getting into the food? Doesn't the heat and water get rid of it? What would the risk be (if any)?

Thanks,
donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:54 AM

you should defenitley use all gluten-free household produccts. even if you don't have Dh they can still affect you skin. i get rashes and eczema from gluten when i just touch it. the heat might get ri out the gluten and it might not, you never want to take that risk, use all gluten-free
Molly

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:38 AM

you know what... call the company of the products. i see no reason why diswashing gel or laundry detergent would have gluten in them - and have never seen an ingredient to suggest as such. some one on here - a while back - contacted proctor and gamble on all their household cleaning products, and were told they had no gluten-containing ingredients. so a call to the company may allow you to use all the stuff you prefer.

(though i can't stand regular dishwasher gels... the cascade reeks of chlorine. ;-) trader joe's has an environmentally friendly option that isn't as expensive as the seventh generation stuff.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

Tiffany,

Where do you get "Trader Joe's"? Through the mail? I've never seen it - not even at Whole Foods Market today - the only place left that would have sold it around here (MA).

thanks,
donna

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

Trader Joe's is a "grocery store" of sorts. More of a specialty store, but one with cheap prices and good food. I'm not sure I can describe it well to someone who hasn't been to one. ;-) It's pretty unique.

Anyway, here is their page listing their stores in Massachusettes: MA Trader Joe's Locations.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

Wow, thanks! I'll try them next weekend!

donna

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:56 AM

Last time I checked Cascade was gluten-free.

I try to get gluten-free household products just because of the chance of getting some in my mouth accidentally. I do have DH but gluten products on my skin do not cause the DH to flare. Most experts think you have to swallow the gluten even for DH.

richard

#8 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

I try to get gluten-free household products just because of the chance of getting some in my mouth accidentally
-------------------------------------------------
Never thought of that. I'm calling Cascade...

Hmmm...the lady at Cascade told me that none of their products have gluten. That Proctor and Gamble is very careful to list any known allergens to their packaging as a warning to consumers. She said "I looked for gluten and cassien on the prod. info. and there wasn't any. I explained to her that it wouldn't be listed neccessarily that way and she insisted that the products are gluten-free.

I'll give it a try. I've got a huge box of the 2in1 packets from BJs and don't wanna throw them away! We'll see....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: