8 replies to this topic

#1 ck552

ck552

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:19 AM

what brand of ground beef can i get? I looked at a gluten-free food list, but the only gluten-free ground beef on it is from marketday and they dont sell that in NY.. thanks~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:34 AM

the stuff your store's butcher grinds should absolutely be gluten-free - verify it with them. if it's not, ask them to grind it in the store. (they certainly won't put bread through the grinder (feel free to check with them if you're worried, of course), as it would affect the grinder.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:57 AM

I have yet to find a store ground beef that is anything except 100 percent beef.

richard

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:07 AM

You are lucky richard, stores around here add colorings, and preservatives and fillers!!! Always ask your butcher!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

Wal-Mart meats have 8-15% of a "solution" added to "preserve freshness." I shop for meat at my local small store, where they don't add anything.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:47 AM

I knew there was a reason not to shop at Walmart. Are you sure this 8-15 percent was in ground beef? I expect to pay for ground beef. And fillers in ground beef? That doesn't surpise me at a restaurant to help hold the patty together or in meatloaf, but not in store beef. The beef I usually buy at Kroger says 100 percent beef. Nothing else. Man I'm glad I don't have the groceries you have.

richard

#7 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

Hmm, I'll have to go to my Kroger store (Dillon's) and check out the meat there. The label on the meat at Wal Mart says right on it that it is "enhanced" with a solution. When I asked the meat department people about it, none of them knew what it is. I do not like "mystery" food! Thanks for the tip-off on the Kroger store, I have a preferred shopper discount card for that store!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#8 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

I know that all processed meats have gluten in them but what about ground beef?
Is there a difference between regular or extra lean? Do either of them have gluten fillers in them?

Thanks!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:23 AM

What processed meats are you talking about? Deli meat? If so, virtually every deli meat is gluten-free. You have to question the company, but at least in the U.S. very, very few have gluten. For instance in the U.S., every prepackaged meat by Hillshire Farm, Carl Buddig and Sara Lee is gluten-free (some Sara Lee meats that you have sliced at the counter DO have gluten). Every meat by Boar's Head except two are gluten-free. I imagine that vitually every Oscar Meyer meat is gluten-free, but to find out all you have to do is read the ingredients. Kraft clearly lists gluten.

Some here say they have found ground meat with fillers or gluten but I never have. If it says 100 percent beef and there are no other ingredients, it should be fine.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: