Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Hamburgers

9 posts in this topic

what brand of ground beef can i get? I looked at a gluten-free food list, but the only gluten-free ground beef on it is from marketday and they dont sell that in NY.. thanks~

Ads by Google:

the stuff your store's butcher grinds should absolutely be gluten-free - verify it with them. if it's not, ask them to grind it in the store. (they certainly won't put bread through the grinder (feel free to check with them if you're worried, of course), as it would affect the grinder.)

I have yet to find a store ground beef that is anything except 100 percent beef.

richard

You are lucky richard, stores around here add colorings, and preservatives and fillers!!! Always ask your butcher!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Wal-Mart meats have 8-15% of a "solution" added to "preserve freshness." I shop for meat at my local small store, where they don't add anything.

I knew there was a reason not to shop at Walmart. Are you sure this 8-15 percent was in ground beef? I expect to pay for ground beef. And fillers in ground beef? That doesn't surpise me at a restaurant to help hold the patty together or in meatloaf, but not in store beef. The beef I usually buy at Kroger says 100 percent beef. Nothing else. Man I'm glad I don't have the groceries you have.

richard

Hmm, I'll have to go to my Kroger store (Dillon's) and check out the meat there. The label on the meat at Wal Mart says right on it that it is "enhanced" with a solution. When I asked the meat department people about it, none of them knew what it is. I do not like "mystery" food! Thanks for the tip-off on the Kroger store, I have a preferred shopper discount card for that store!

I know that all processed meats have gluten in them but what about ground beef?

Is there a difference between regular or extra lean? Do either of them have gluten fillers in them?

Thanks!

Karen

What processed meats are you talking about? Deli meat? If so, virtually every deli meat is gluten-free. You have to question the company, but at least in the U.S. very, very few have gluten. For instance in the U.S., every prepackaged meat by Hillshire Farm, Carl Buddig and Sara Lee is gluten-free (some Sara Lee meats that you have sliced at the counter DO have gluten). Every meat by Boar's Head except two are gluten-free. I imagine that vitually every Oscar Meyer meat is gluten-free, but to find out all you have to do is read the ingredients. Kraft clearly lists gluten.

Some here say they have found ground meat with fillers or gluten but I never have. If it says 100 percent beef and there are no other ingredients, it should be fine.

richard