This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oeliac Disease And Lactose Intollerant

joalabbs

joalabbs Newbie

Hello all, I have three great kids. Two of them, Alex 11 & Abbey 8, have celiac disease. Alex has just recently been diagnosed as being lactose intollerant. He has many other issuses as well. He is very angry. I am hoping someone might have some suggestions on how to cheer the kid up, and what to feed him without hurting him. Thanks,

joalabbs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

What kinds of foods does he like to eat? There are lots of great kid-friendly substitutes out there.

lonewolf Collaborator

I have an 11 year old son who has been off milk for his whole life and just recently we found out he is gluten intolerant. He has some behavioral issues, mostly attention problems rather than being "naughty" and a lot of negativity. He was very angry when he was told he couldn't have wheat/gluten anymore. It's been a few months and he's doing much better. The attention problems have been clearing up some and the anger has subsided. I notice a lot of negativity when he eats something questionable, like Easter candy that I didn't have a chance to check on before he devoured it.

We've tried cheering him up by doing things that aren't associated with food - going fishing, playing more baseball out in the yard, letting him have a few more turns on the computer, etc. And I've made a lot of special treats for him - more than usual. All my kids (I have 4) have enjoyed homemade cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. and it makes my son feel good that I make "special" food that everyone likes that really is for him. He's really into popcorn now too. We've been experimenting with different flavors and seasonings to put on it. Sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips, garlic powder - he likes all of these.

Good luck!

kabowman Explorer

I have a 12YO son that is lactose intolerant but not gluten-free. He eats sorbets (you would have to check for ones that are gluten-free) for desert. That seems to have eased the "pain" of giving up a food he ate at every meal plus all the stuff in between. Hoping we don't have to go gluten-free yet too but I think that is coming...

And, like most of us, the longer he is LF, and he has something with regular milk, the more severe his symptoms which helps him stay away from milk products. He cannot even handle the hard cheeses (cheddar) like many people can BUT he is OK with lactaid milk so I am not worried about casien intolerance yet.

tarnalberry Community Regular

If he's just lactose intolerant (not casein intolerant), then he can use lactaid (the lactase enzyme) to still be able to have milk, unless he's REALLY REALLY intolerant. And in that case, there's still an awful lot of other foods out there he can have, you'll just have to start experimenting and trying a lot of new foods.

mmaccartney Explorer

We get chocolates from this place:

Open Original Shared Link

I live nearby and have spoken with the owners. They are quire serious about dairy free, and gluten free as well.

My children are allergic to milk, eggs, and all nuts. I can't have any milk or gluten and their under diagnosis for celiac, but are still gluten-free at this time. We haven't run into any issues with their candies yet.

Also, the allergy grocer has several good candies as well:

Open Original Shared Link

Their all expensive, but it's worth it for their smiles :)

• 2 weeks later...
marja Newbie
Hello all, I have three great kids. Two of them, Alex 11 & Abbey 8, have celiac disease. Alex has just recently been diagnosed as being lactose intollerant. He has many other issuses as well. He is very angry. I am hoping someone might have some suggestions on how to cheer the kid up, and what to feed him without hurting him. Thanks,

joalabbs

There are so many things he still can eat. I've a 2 year old celiac and lactose intolerance and a 7 year old who has PDD NOS...for these children Gluten are also poisson and milk also so we try to keep him on the same stuff his brother gets and for everything i normally use milk in it i now use soya or goatmilk and there are really a lot of things you can make like that or buy. A lot of people has both the problems and the lactose intollerancy can be for a couple of years. I really hope so.

For my PDD son not eating gluten and milk worked out great for a lot of other things so when he noticed that he will find out himself that he is feeling much better!

Good luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived