This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ireland

GF/WW In Tulsa

GF/WW In Tulsa Rookie

Help!

I'm takinga 2-week tour of Ireland in June and I'm starting to think about my food challenge ahead. Any one ever been? I would apprecaite any help with the do's and don'ts I need to know. I see a lot of potatoes and irish whiskey in my near future????

Thanks!

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link
rmmadden Contributor

Ain't nothing wrong with the old spuds & whiskey diet....................hiccuip!!!!!

Erin Go Braugh!

Cleveland Bob B)

GF/WW In Tulsa Rookie
Ain't nothing wrong with the old spuds & whiskey diet....................hiccuip!!!!!

Erin Go Braugh!

Cleveland Bob B)

• 3 weeks later...
Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Hi. I have been, but was staying with relatives so was a bit easier. Eating out was tricky, as the pub in particular was pre-made food - even the jacket potato skins were glutinous apparently. Also, they will have irish breakfasts over there, which include white pudding (made from chicken's blood), black pudding (made from pig's blood), sausage, and fried bread and possible toast too, which will all contain gluten. also hash browns are sometimes ok, and sometimes not - they are made from potato, but it depends on the coating. As always, pretty much, you need to ask if a dish is gluten free, and explain that you mean free from wheat, oats, barley and rye. You should aslo watch out for things being cooked in the same pans - a lot of places may well cook chips in with the battered fish/chicken nuggets, so just be careful.

Baked potatoes are usually a safe bet....just keep an eye on the fillings - pre-grated cheese can be coated in flour to stop it sticking together in transit.

Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TerpyTaylor

I'm going to Ireland in June too! A gluten-free friend of mine studied abroad for a semester in Dublin, and she said that the big grocery store in Ireland, Tesco's, has a lot of gluten-free stuff. She also said that the hard cider on tap in most of the pubs is gluten-free. I'm not really a drinker, but it will be fun to actually get a pint of something in a real Irish pub! :P

I'll be staying in hostels (we're backpacking) and cooking some of my own food. But hopefully there will be places to eat that will be accomodating, you can always ask for plain chicken and rice or a veggie.

IrishLisa Newbie

Hi Susan!

I'm Irish and as per earlier post supermarkets such as Tesco's carry quite an extensive stock of gluten free products. Also, as Coeliac is quite common in Ireland, most supermarkets (Dunnes Store, Roches, Superquin etc), health food stores & pharmacies stock gluten free products. Tesco's would be my preference though as they also label their products very well.

There is a deli type chain called itsabagel in Dublin. They do fresh gluten free bagels and homemade gluten free soups and salads. They have 3 that I know of in Dublin. 16 Fitzwilliam Lane, Dublin 2

Royal Marine Rd, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin & Epicurean Food Hall, Lower Liffey Street, Dublin 1

There is also a restaurant called O'Connells, which is located in the Bewleys Hotel on Merrion Rd., Dublin 4. This restaurant is definitely worth a visit. Rosemary Kearney, author of ‘Healthy Gluten Free Eating’, has joined the team as a consultant, and the goal is for O’Connell’s to become Ireland’s most coeliac-friendly restaurant.

In general, finding coeliac friendly restaurants in the major cities in Ireland is pretty easy. Many have gluten-free options and are quite accomodating.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Samantha Newbie

Hi. I might be late to posting a reply, but I went to Ireland in April and was pleasantly surprised at how easy eating was. It made the US look very, very bad. After explaining the gluten intolerance at the first restaurant, I was told to just say that I am a "celiac".

Yes, it was THAT easy! Some of the hotels/restaurants that we went to actually had bread and/or rolls for me. I couldn't believe it. I felt like moving there!

Apparently, they take it seriously over in Europe, even though data shows that more Americans have been diagnosed. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Anyway, if I caught you in time, have a great trip!

Archived