This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Or Fish

Guest Stepha

Guest Stepha

Does anyone have any good chicken or fish recipes?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Uh... what do you want to do with it?

Use it in a salad (green, bean, veggie, etc)?

Part of a main course (enchiladas, soup, pasta, stir-fry, etc)?

On it's own (grilled, baked, panfried, deep-fried, poached, etc)?

Use it for dessert (oh, ok, now I'm being silly... I know it can be done, but I can't think of any common chicken desserts... :-) )

Anyway, check your bookstore or library for cookbooks, and check recipe sites like www.recipesource.com (previoiusly SOAR) and www.allrecipes.com and even www.foodtv.com if your brave enough to try their sometimes complicated (but sometimes easy) recipes.

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Stepha,

For a REALLY (I mean SUPREMELY) wonderful collection of chicken recipes, check out The Cook's Illustrated Complete Book of Poultry (Open Original Shared Link is a link). It has an entire chapter devoted to each major way of preparing chicken (*including* stir-fries, curried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie, and recipes that use ground chicken), turkey (including burgers and other applications of ground turkey), Cornish hens, goose, duck, and game birds! They also include a short essay in each chapter describing their recipe testing process and why they chose the cooking methods they did. I plan to see about converting the dumpling and pot pie recipes to be gluten-free, and the other recipes are all pretty easy to convert. I am SO thrilled with this book! You might be able to find it at your local library if you want to look it over before you decide to buy it. It is OUT OF PRINT, so you'll probably need to order it online--but www.cooksillustrated.com had the best price I saw anywhere, anyway ($22.75 plus shipping).

Another book I use frequently is 1,000 Lowfat Recipes by Terry Blonder Golson. I get the feeling it is out of print, as well. Among many other things, it has a chapter full of delicious fish recipes, and some really yummy vegetable side dishes, too (I am ADDICTED to Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary and Garlic!). It's true that you would need to ignore the chapters on breads and cookies and convert some of the other recipes, but that's a small price to pay (in my opinion) for a densely-packed book of nutritious and delicious meal ideas!

I hope this information is helpful!

Connie R-E Apprentice

Mango Chicken

4 leg quarters work well.

Marinate skinless, salted chicken pieces in:

1 really ripe mango, mashed

1 lime, juiced

1 tsp. ginger, ground

1/4 onion, chopped

pepper, to taste

2-3 oz.(to cover chicken) Alessi White Balsamic Vinegar

--found at Wal-Mart is a sweet, salad vinegar

Let marinade for at least 10 min.

Next, remove chicken from marinade and brown on all sides in 2 T. oil(I use a large, lidded cast iron skillet). Drain oil. Add mango marinade back in and bake, covered, for 45min.-1hour, or until tender!

Serve with rice cooked with ginger and chopped carrots.

Enjoy!

Connie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stepha

Thank you so much I will let you know how I liked the recipes!

gf4life Enthusiast

Sarah, could you post the recipe for Roasted Cauliflower with Rosemary and Garlic? It sounds wonderful, and I'd like to try it.

Thanks, Mariann

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Done, Mariann--and thanks for reminding me that I have some leftover roasted cauliflower in my fridge! :D I don't think it will be there tomorrow! I hope you are doing well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Thanks Sarah. I'm going to make it as soon as aI get my hands on some cauliflower.

I'm doing fine, just getting used to eating gluten-free again. It is such a relief after the last few months! Within one day my intestines were not rumbling violently and the pain was much less. I am looking forward to the results of my biopsy (in three weeks!)

God bless,

Mariann :)

Archived