6 replies to this topic

#1 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:21 PM

I just made Pilsbury ready to bake cookies with the american flag on them (like the one's in the canister that you cut and bake, but they're in a box already cut too.

Of course, I didn't eat any, and I washed my hands after, but I'm suddenly sick (1hour later) and wonder if this is why.

Could I have absorbed it through my hands? Does anyone get physically sick from touching gluten?

thanks,
donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:02 AM

You cannot absorb gluten through your skin. The molecules are too large. Either you didn't wash your hands well enough or you put your fingers to your mouth without realizing it. This is very easy to do.

richard

#3 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:20 AM

Actually, I've heard you CAN absorb it through the skin, but who knows.

Anyway, I figured out what happened: I was VERY careful about making the cookies, BUT, I bought a new cookie to try yesterday and today I found out that it was merely wheat free NOT gluten-free.

That explains it! No more Newman's Own cookies!!!

Thanks!
donna

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

Donna, next time try Pamela's brand cookies. The taste pretty good, and are wheat and gluten free.

I don't know if you can absorb it into your skin, but I think sometimes it is hard to wash it completely off of your skin. It is best to use disposable plastic gloves if you have to touch a gluten food like the cookie dough or making sandwiches for the kids, etc. I know that even though I was extremely careful about washing my hands EVERY time I fed my kids a gluten food I continued to get sick all the time. I was very happy when their tests came back that ALL of the three kids also needed the diet. It makes it much easier to feed us all the same way. And now that the whole house is gluten-free I am not feeling sick all the time. :)

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#5 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

I am gluten sensitive and I have been instructed to not touch wheat products. Although it will not affect my intestinal lining, it will compromise my immune system. I want my health to be as optimal as I can make it. B)

I love Pamela's cookies. I especially love the peanut butter and the chocolate chip.

Enjoy

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:38 AM

Even if you could absorb gluten through your skin (which the experts say you cannot do), you most certainly could not absorb cookie crumbs. Not only are your pores too small, but the next level of skin below simply would not allow the crumbs to pass. It's a physical impossibility.

richard

#7 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:11 AM

I see, but I'm not referring to crumbs but the actual cookie dough. And Pillsbury dough is REALLY greasy and hard to wash off too.

I know my problem was probably the not gluten-free cookie I unknowingly ate (Newman's Own), but I'll probably move to gloves next time I bake for the kids.

BTW, I personally don't care for Pamela's, however, I simply LOVE Schar cookies!!! They are SOOOO good - but a little pricey! Gonna have to take up a part-time job just so I can afford this stinkin' diet! :D

d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: