Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Who's Celiac Was Triggered By Gallbladder Removal?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Ang_*

Guest_Ang_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago, after suffering from recurrent stomach aches since I was 14 years old. According to the surgeon, I was very atypical for gallbladder problems. Perhaps it had more to do with celiac disease, because after the surgery, I would have "ghost" pains in the same area that I had gallbladder pain. I have heard about more stones forming in the duct, but I've never followed up on this, maybe I should.

I did feel MUCH better initally after having my gallbladder removed, so I would reccommend surgery.

I have only been diagnosed with celiac for about 2 months, and started having intermittent problems at the beginning of my 3rd pregnancy (2 1/2 years ago).

I still have D occasionally, and stomach pains do get worse around that time of the month. It's like I have a constant side ache. I still have so much to learn and change about my life. I haven't even checked or really taken seriously the non-food item issue of gluten. I think I need baby steps to alter my life habits!

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list for non-food items that DO or DO NOT contain gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jaten

jaten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

From articles I have read there is a 30% higher risk for Celiacs to have gall bladder problems. Some articles say that early on in Celiac that the gall bladder does not function properly (sorry I forgot the percentage of malfunction).

Yes, and I am definitely fairly early in the Celiac diagnosis about 4 1/2 mos. I really thought hard about this and even asked the dr. "Ok, so it doesn't work now. It's not going to work any better when you take it out. I'm at 0% either way." And, I really considered that somewhere along in the intestinal healing, my gallbladder may start to function again. Three factors pushed me into the surgery. In no particular order of importance...
1- Dr. answered my above rationalization with....but by leaving a gallbladder in place that can't empty the bile you are at an extremely high risk for pancreatitis and other very serious infections.
2- Two other drs. concurred with dr. #1
3- I was having severe gallbladder attacks. The pain was excrutiating, and when it wasn't I was still extremely nauseated and running a low-grade but definite fever. "Quality of life" was extremely low.
And ...
#4 if the malfunction was Celiac-related, I was 4 1/2 mos gluten-free and still at 0%!!??!? I couldn't keep going that way for another 4 1/2 mos or 2 years or whatever might be needed.

I have been looking into this because I think I am actually having full blown gall bladder attacks. When you have the pain, have you touched your skin over the pain? Does it feel colder than the rest of your skin? I really don't want to have any surgery, because most people seem to say they still have problems.

I don't know but the rest of me was going from chills to sweats with the pain and nausea. I've talked to a lot of people who have said they wish they had done it sooner. Very few problems afterwards. When you research online (if that's what you're doing) remember, the people who continue to have problems are more likely to post than the ones who have gone their merry way pain-free.

I'm still recovering from the surgery, and I've had some significant pain in the process, including some that felt like a gallbladder attack, the knife under the ribs pain. But that is lessening each day as well. (And since I did have a knife under the ribs 4 days ago, I think that's pretty normal)

Less than a week but so far I have no second-guessing or doubts. I'll be glad to keep y'all posted. I'll be happy to pm with anyone regarding this.

#18 shellbean

shellbean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

From articles I have read there is a 30% higher risk for Celiacs to have gall bladder problems. Some articles say that early on in Celiac that the gall bladder does not function properly (sorry I forgot the percentage of malfunction).
I have been looking into this because I think I am actually having full blown gall bladder attacks. When you have the pain, have you touched your skin over the pain? Does it feel colder than the rest of your skin? I really don't want to have any surgery, because most people seem to say they still have problems.
L.

Before they removed my gallbladder, the attacks felt like I was having a heart attack. They usually hit in the middle of the night. I will never forget all the pain. It was the most horrible thing i have ever felt. When I have the sharp pains now it is very sensitive in that area to touch. It's right where the 3 small incisions are. Actually it hurts to even brush the skin softly in that area. I can't lean on anything either and if anything even touches my belly in that area it triggers the pains. What has me guessing is the docs can't figure out what is causing it. They have tested my so many times and just gave up cause they don't know what it is from. That's why I was wondering if it's coming from damaged villi? Since I'm new to the diet maybe the pains are from damage that hasn't healed yet? I don't have any insurance right now since I quit my job and the new job has a probation period so I'm a little stuck right now. I don't hurt right now so maybe it has to do with eating the gluten the other night. I finally got most of the blocked bowel out of my system too so maybe that was part of the problem too.

#19 jaten

jaten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:16 AM

Before they removed my gallbladder, the attacks felt like I was having a heart attack. They usually hit in the middle of the night. I will never forget all the pain. It was the most horrible thing i have ever felt. When I have the sharp pains now it is very sensitive in that area to touch. It's right where the 3 small incisions are. Actually it hurts to even brush the skin softly in that area. I can't lean on anything either and if anything even touches my belly in that area it triggers the pains. What has me guessing is the docs can't figure out what is causing it. They have tested my so many times and just gave up cause they don't know what it is from. That's why I was wondering if it's coming from damaged villi? Since I'm new to the diet maybe the pains are from damage that hasn't healed yet? I don't have any insurance right now since I quit my job and the new job has a probation period so I'm a little stuck right now. I don't hurt right now so maybe it has to do with eating the gluten the other night. I finally got most of the blocked bowel out of my system too so maybe that was part of the problem too.

Barely brushing the skin and having pain sounds like nerve damage. Perhaps a nerve entrapped in a small amt of scar tissue. Disclaimer: I'm not in the medical profession. Having had injuries, however, that resulted temporarily in similar pain, that's just what came to my mind. I'd definitely get to someone who can help answer that for you.

#20 gavinsdaddy

gavinsdaddy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

had my galblader out on jan.4,2006 and hemorrhoidectomy the same day.thats when i started having problems. surgen and family doc said you have ibs .family doc said its all in your head said to go see a shrink.didn't get any better went and seen a gi doc he ran test got the results on may 4 thats when i found out what was really wrong with me. off work all this time .thats the worst part being off of work.

#21 shellbean

shellbean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

had my galblader out on jan.4,2006 and hemorrhoidectomy the same day.thats when i started having problems. surgen and family doc said you have ibs .family doc said its all in your head said to go see a shrink.didn't get any better went and seen a gi doc he ran test got the results on may 4 thats when i found out what was really wrong with me. off work all this time .thats the worst part being off of work.

I was told the same things. I actually had a GI doc do the endoscopy on me after my gallbladder was removed because I was having so many problems and I specifically told him to check for celiac while he was in there and lo and behold "he forgot". He even "forgot" I had my gallbladder removed. That's when I knew I had the wrong doctor. And they call us crazy! :rolleyes: I was so tired and hurting from all the testing that I never went back to have it redone. So the only diagnosis I got was severe acid reflux, inflammed stomach lining and intestines, IBS, and the dreaded really bad case of hemorrhoids. I can't believe I just told that to the world! :lol: Oh well, I'm SURE I'm not the only one with that problem!!!! :lol: Anyone have relief advice for that one?? heehee! I'm having a very hard time being at work all day myself. I'm afraid I'll lose my new job because I am always sick and hurting. Gavinsdaddy, do you get sharp knife like pains in the area of your surgery? I think in my case jaten may be right about the nerve damage....makes sense.

#22 gavinsdaddy

gavinsdaddy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

sometimes i get pains nothing real bad thou. I have had 2 colonoscopy and 2 endoscopy in less than a year.doctors aren't they great.I just hope I start feeling better soon . I think i have a good doc now.We will see thou.

#23 Naezer

Naezer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

I had my gallbladder taken out after my first and only attack in 1999. One week after I delivered my first son. The ultrasound showed "sludge" in the gallbladder and surgery was recommended if I was gong to have more kids. My GYN knew right away what it was. Said it was common post partum for women to have gallbladder issues. That was in 1999 and not diagnosed with celiac yet. 3 years passed and then the attacks started. I would get similar painful attacks just like the initial attack but why??? There is no gallbladder in there. The only thing I could track was that it would occur after I would consume some alcohol. I first time I went to the ER. The ultrasound did not show anything but the liver enzymes were elevated. I was sent home,given pain meds and told to follow up with doctor. I did eventually go to a GI doctor who thought a sphyncherotomy was in order. "It MAY help" he said. Well, I didnt know what to do, so I did nothing. After that, I had several more attacks and just rode them out at home with the help of my loving husband. They really did not come all that often so I didn't worry too much about it.
In 2004, I started having GI symptoms that lead to the celiac diagnosis in 2009. I have not had an attack since going on the gluten free diet so I thought it must have been celiac the whole time.......until now.
I am 2 years gluten freee and thought those attacks were a thing of the past until this week. WTH!!!!
I was having a few cocktails and it hit!! WOW! Same pain, same duration.
I have just moved to a new area and do not have a GI doctor yet.
There may not be any easy answer for any of us but it is good to know that we are not alone. So if anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: