This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Glutening Bring On Reflux Flare-ups?

megsylvan2

megsylvan2 Apprentice

I know many people here also have GERD/reflux. BUt what I don't know is if getting glutened would bring on flare-ups of reflux. I had finally gotten myself to feeling pretty well, then I ate a small piece of cake and a little bit of cheesecake with graham cracker crust. Well, that started me on a huge downhill slide. Although the reaction from the gluten wasn't as bad this time as it has been in the past as far as D and inflamed intestines and all, it seems that my reflux, which had been quiet for quite a while now reared its ugly head with a vengeance. I've been so miserable and in so much pain. Would this be brought on by the reaction to gluten - or is this just a coincidence? It seems to me to be related in the chain of symptoms that i am noticing, but why would gluten cause reflux issues?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I know many people here also have GERD/reflux. BUt what I don't know is if getting glutened would bring on flare-ups of reflux. I had finally gotten myself to feeling pretty well, then I ate a small piece of cake and a little bit of cheesecake with graham cracker crust. Well, that started me on a huge downhill slide. Although the reaction from the gluten wasn't as bad this time as it has been in the past as far as D and inflamed intestines and all, it seems that my reflux, which had been quiet for quite a while now reared its ugly head with a vengeance. I've been so miserable and in so much pain. Would this be brought on by the reaction to gluten - or is this just a coincidence? It seems to me to be related in the chain of symptoms that i am noticing, but why would gluten cause reflux issues?

It's the gluten. Both my DD and my husband only had gerd and gas as a presenting symptom. I can't tell you the reason why other than that gluten is a systemic poison but it most certainly causes GERD symptoms. I hope you get some relief soon, when this happens to me I take pepto bismal and it seems to give quick relief, watch out for some anitacids though, Tums for example is NOT gluten-free.

Lisa Mentor

That was a very good response. I also have a large hernia which often casues alot of acid. The diet cannot cure that, only through surgery. Try taking a pepsid in the morning and one at night and see if will subside your symptoms. If not, go to a blander diet with less spices. Maybe that will help.

Lisa

flagbabyds Collaborator

It's def. the gluten, i get really bad heartburn when i get gluten posioning.

megsylvan2 Apprentice
watch out for some anitacids though, Tums for example is NOT gluten-free.

OMG - I've been consuming them by the bucketsful!!! :o

mouse Enthusiast

I agree with everyone else - it is the gluten. I get such severe heartburn when I get cross contamination, that I think my heart is acting up. I have Angina and a mild heart problem and when that heartburn starts, I am always hoping it is the gluten and not the other.

judy05 Apprentice

Acid reflux is often one of the first symptoms which occurs with Celiac. Anyone with severe heartburn should be "scoped", that's how I found out I have Barrett's Ring in my esophagus which can lead to cancer. I have to be biopsied every 3 years, after having 2 negatives.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shellbean Apprentice

I'm glad I read this because I was wondering about the gluten/acid reflux thing too. I was bad last night and ate a fast food meal to test myself (....BAD I know! :angry:) and I ended up with the heartburn pains and reflux, etc. just to name a few. Well, I guess that explains that part!! :)

nogluten- Newbie

I used to have reflux a lot, but since stopping gluten (and dairy) i never have reflux.

megsylvan2 Apprentice
I'm glad I read this because I was wondering about the gluten/acid reflux thing too. I was bad last night and ate a fast food meal to test myself (....BAD I know! :angry:) and I ended up with the heartburn pains and reflux, etc. just to name a few. Well, I guess that explains that part!! :)

Shell - this is the same problem that I seem to have. I'm still new to this and still trying to take it all in and accept it. I get myself feeling pretty good and normal again, and then I start to thinking I must be REALLY back to normal again, and I test myself with a little bit of gluten. I guess some can accept it right away and move on, but I am having trouble accepting that this is permanent, so I keep trying to see if it was just a fluke.

I've done this a couple of times now, and each time I say I've learned my lesson. I think part of it is because the doctors don't believe it, and they keep asking me about symptoms and how long this takes and that takes for reactions etc., so I also do if for myself so I'll know. Maybe this will be the time that convinces me permanently. Probably not quite yet, but this is close. This was bad, and if I can connect a definite reaction of reflux to gluten, that will do it. I'm really concerned about the intestinal cancer aspect of it all due to family history, so maybe that will help to scare me straight. :o

I just wonder why it causes the reflux to flare up. And I STILL wonder - WHERE ARE THE STUPID DOCTORS ON THIS? WHY HAVEN'T THEY FIGURED THIS OUT? WHY DO WE HAVE TO SUFFER SO MUCH WHEN, IF THEY'D LISTEN, WE COULD TELL THEM? (Oops -sorry. That just really annoys me.)

I used to have reflux a lot, but since stopping gluten (and dairy) i never have reflux.

nogluten - I think I'm slowly but surely becoming convinced... I'm just one of those kinds that has to be very certain. It's stupid, I know, because I already know better.

nogluten- Newbie

I don't think it's stupid at all to want to be certain. It's an inconvenience that i would love to not have ,but you do get used to it. Good luck!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yep, acid reflux every time I get glutened, without fail. I don't always get diarrhea any more, but the acid reflux and stomach ache and heartburn are to be expected. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the gluten causes the acid reflux.

key Contributor

Yup, I believe it is happening to me too. When I get gluttened. I had this symptom before going gluten free mildly. I have been gluttened lately from somewhere and I am so frustrated not knowing where. I am sick of being sick. I was doing GREAT for two weeks and then bam. Here I sit again. Depressed not knowing where it came from. I am so ticked that I feel like not eating anymore AT ALL! I just feel like everything makes me sick. I don't eat meat, gluten and now I am pretty sure dairy is bothering me and my mom swears that soy killed my stomach even as a baby and I know that might be a problem. I just don't know what to eat anymore. Oh and I already gave up caffeine, because it seemed to be making the heartburn worse and I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat out. My life is really boring and I feel like the only foods to eat are fruits and veges. I can't live on that alone.

Sorry, this was about me, but I feel better now. Yes, it can cause heartburn, definitely. By the way, I "tested" myself about every six weeks for about six months and then finally said, NO MORE! I would never willingly eat it again. I think eventually you will learn it makes you sick.

MOnica

jerseyangel Proficient

I never had reflux until I was gluten-free for several months. It was about this time that I also began to really experience additional food intollerances. After doing well for a while gluten-free, everything seemed to bother my stomach and give me reflux. I did a 3 week course of Prevacid--stopped due to side effects. I have spent the last several months trying to determine and sift through the foods that cause problems for me. The reflux is getting better on it's own--I think it was food intollerances that caused mine. When I do get glutened (by CC) it does get worse.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
OMG - I've been consuming them by the bucketsful!!! :o

Of course you have, that's what they want. I know I am quite cynical but I believe these companies are very aware of two things, one that gluten is addictive and two that if they put it in stomach meds folks will get quick relief but then the delayed reaction of the gluten on the system will ensure that the person needs their med again in a couple days. After all addiction and meds are what this country seems to thrive on. I often wonder wheter in other countries people are subject to continuous advertisements for miracle cures that they can then run to their doctors and demand. And then we wonder why our kids are experimenting with illegal drugs, when from infancy on they are told by the media how drugs fix everything. I'm ranting and I'll stop, it just makes me so angry that this toxin is in so much and it should never, ever, ever be used in any mediacation or mediacal preperation.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I never had reflux until I was gluten-free for several months. It was about this time that I also began to really experience additional food intollerances. After doing well for a while gluten-free, everything seemed to bother my stomach and give me reflux. I did a 3 week course of Prevacid--stopped due to side effects. I have spent the last several months trying to determine and sift through the foods that cause problems for me. The reflux is getting better on it's own--I think it was food intollerances that caused mine. When I do get glutened (by CC) it does get worse.

Ditto for me. I never noticed it until after being off gluten a long time and now that I've also eliminated corn I really can tell when I've eaten something wrong. Reflux is new to me and I dont like it. :angry: I get it in conjunction with bloating, cramping and a fast heartbeat.

flagbabyds Collaborator

casein also used to give me reflux, so maybe if you cut that out also, it could all go away!!!!!!!! YAY~!~

shellbean Apprentice
Shell - this is the same problem that I seem to have. I'm still new to this and still trying to take it all in and accept it. I get myself feeling pretty good and normal again, and then I start to thinking I must be REALLY back to normal again, and I test myself with a little bit of gluten. I guess some can accept it right away and move on, but I am having trouble accepting that this is permanent, so I keep trying to see if it was just a fluke.

I've done this a couple of times now, and each time I say I've learned my lesson. I think part of it is because the doctors don't believe it, and they keep asking me about symptoms and how long this takes and that takes for reactions etc., so I also do if for myself so I'll know. Maybe this will be the time that convinces me permanently. Probably not quite yet, but this is close. This was bad, and if I can connect a definite reaction of reflux to gluten, that will do it. I'm really concerned about the intestinal cancer aspect of it all due to family history, so maybe that will help to scare me straight. :o

I feel the same way you do. I guess you can say I'm a hard headed girl! :rolleyes: Also, a family member of mine died from intestinal cancer so hopefully I will be scared straight soon too.

megsylvan2 Apprentice
Yup, I believe it is happening to me too. When I get gluttened. I had this symptom before going gluten free mildly. I have been gluttened lately from somewhere and I am so frustrated not knowing where. I am sick of being sick. I was doing GREAT for two weeks and then bam. Here I sit again. Depressed not knowing where it came from. I am so ticked that I feel like not eating anymore AT ALL! I just feel like everything makes me sick. I don't eat meat, gluten and now I am pretty sure dairy is bothering me and my mom swears that soy killed my stomach even as a baby and I know that might be a problem. I just don't know what to eat anymore. Oh and I already gave up caffeine, because it seemed to be making the heartburn worse and I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat out. My life is really boring and I feel like the only foods to eat are fruits and veges. I can't live on that alone.

Sorry, this was about me, but I feel better now. Yes, it can cause heartburn, definitely. By the way, I "tested" myself about every six weeks for about six months and then finally said, NO MORE! I would never willingly eat it again. I think eventually you will learn it makes you sick.

MOnica

I know what you mean about feeling like not eating anymore AT ALL. It gets depressing when you feel you're better off not eating at all because eating just makes you sick and brings on a lot of pain. If only I could stay at the not eating stage for awhile -- I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds!! When I am in a lot of pain I live off of homemade smoothies made from frozen fruits and rice or almond milk and concentrated juice for flavoring/sweetness. It helps with the hunger and is soothing.

I'm starting to understand the fear of eating out. It was over a week ago that I had gluten and I am still in pain. I guess I will eventually learn permanently - even when I have been feeling well for awhile. I wouldn't mind the typical gluten reaction so much, but with the reflux kicking in with a vengeance, this is pretty unbearable. Maybe this will convince me.

Cheer up. Many others here post that it gets better after a while and they learn how to deal with it and get back to the business of having a halfway decent life again.

slpinsd Contributor

Yep- reflux gets me everytime I get glutened. This was a really bad symptom before going gluten-free that has resolved except when I get glutened.

Meg, I know what you mean. I do the exact same thing. I test it every now and then because I just keep thinking what if it was a big fluke, and I'm not gluten intolerant at all. Then I get the reflux and stomach ache and tell myself don't try this again. Then afterwhile I start to wonder and want to test it again. My doctors also are not convinced it's Celiac so it's like I'm trying to prove something.

BoulderEm Newbie

tums is not gluten-free?? oh &^%$....

megsylvan2 Apprentice
tums is not gluten-free?? oh &^%$....

I wonder what ingredient contains gluten?

Active Ingredient is Calcium corbonate;

Inactive Ingredients are sucrose, calcium carbonate, corn starch, talc, mineral oil, natural and artificial flavors, sodium polyphosphate, red 40 lake, yellow 5 (tartrazine) lake.

Ursa Major Collaborator
I wonder what ingredient contains gluten?

Active Ingredient is Calcium corbonate;

Inactive Ingredients are sucrose, calcium carbonate, corn starch, talc, mineral oil, natural and artificial flavors, sodium polyphosphate, red 40 lake, yellow 5 (tartrazine) lake.

Natural and artificial flavours could contain anything, and often gluten is one of those things I hear. I do know that tums always used to make the reflux much worse, when I tried it a few years ago.

JodiC Apprentice

I take Prevacid for the reflux and hate the fact that I even have to. Did anyone else's voice change due to inflammation of the vocal chords? This is also caused by acid going up the back of the esophogas instead of the front. Had to pay yet another doc for that answer. Doing the gluten challenge caused my stomach to have peptic apperaring erosions, delayed emptying ( which caused vomiting constantly), horrible painful bloating, but no d. Doc said that was because the food was never reaching the intestine to begin with. Isn't it crazy that this disease can cause so much, yet is dismissed the same way a cold is? Forty years ago there wasn't the amount of gluten in foods that there is nowadays. No wonder people are being dx left, right, and center. I would love to know what is going to wake these companies up. I wonder if there are more of us then there are of the "healthy people" lol

Archived