Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Can You Tell What Had Gluten By Time Frame?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sibewill_*

Guest_Sibewill_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

Anybody,
This past weekend I had two things that could possibly had gotten me ill (and I sure am!). Perhaps from my descriptionm of the timing, someone can tell me from past experience which would have caused my issues that really kicked in today. On Saturday (morning) at a trailhead for an overnight 20 mile hike/climb, I realized that my gluten-free camp meals had been punctured. I had no idea for how long, so I opted to discard them and try to find something else to eat. THe closest thing to safe i could find in this (semi-remote) area was a 8oz block of cheddar, but it was not Cabot which I know is okay. i think it was Helluva good, but am too foggy to remember. That was all I ate until Sunday noght (except coffee) when we went to a restaraunt which supposedly was safe. Last night, was pretty bad and this morning has been terrible with all the old symptoms back. Sorry for the lenght, but are there any guesses that can be made from the time frame?
thanks,
Will

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:15 PM

If it was block cheese it should have been fine. But if all you ate for almost two days was cheese and coffee, that alone could give you some pretty strange symptoms! And then the restaurant might have got you contaminated, but it is hard to say. It is really hard to track down what might have made you sick based on time, because for some people they have a reaction within minutes, others take hours, and still others take days. Some people never have a reaction until the damage has compounded enough to start symptoms again. I hope you start feeling better soon.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:43 AM

People react anywhere from 1 hour to 48 hours. In this case, though, it was without question the restaurant. I've never, ever found a hard block cheese that has gluten and most certainly never a cheddar. In fact, I never even check on block cheeses any more. Restaurants, on the other hand, are always a gamble, even the best ones.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: