This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pain Lower Right Side

Sharon K. Wolfgram

Sharon K. Wolfgram Newbie

:(

Hello -

I'm new to this forum. Found out about it at Celiac Support meeting last night. Does anyone out there have pain in the lower right abdomen. My GI says its not related to the celiac - I disagree because I have it after I have the pain when I accidentally ingest gluten. Thanks for your input!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hello -

I'm new to this forum. Found out about it at Celiac Support meeting last night. Does anyone out there have pain in the lower right abdomen. My GI says its not related to the celiac - I disagree because I have it after I have the pain when I accidentally ingest gluten. Thanks for your input!

Welcome to the board. You have found a great place to get lots of info and support. You know your body your doctor doesn't. Many of us get pain when glutened some in the GI tract, some in the joints and muscles and some in both. Gluten acts as a systemic poison from the time it is placed into the mouth where it starts to be absorbed by the mucous membranes to the time it exits the rear and beyond. With that pain location though if it ever escalates and is accompanied by a fever and nausea make sure you rule out an appendix inflammation. Again welcome to the board and feel free to ask any and all questions you need to.

mommida Enthusiast

I complained about this pain in the lower right side to a doctor. He said that is where the colon is, and pain in that area, (like I described) could be spastic colon.

L.

eKatherine Rookie

My sister's pain in the lower right side of her abdomen turned out to be Crohn's disease.

Sharon K. Wolfgram Newbie
I complained about this pain in the lower right side to a doctor. He said that is where the colon is, and pain in that area, (like I described) could be spastic colon.

L.

Welcome to the board. You have found a great place to get lots of info and support. You know your body your doctor doesn't. Many of us get pain when glutened some in the GI tract, some in the joints and muscles and some in both. Gluten acts as a systemic poison from the time it is placed into the mouth where it starts to be absorbed by the mucous membranes to the time it exits the rear and beyond. With that pain location though if it ever escalates and is accompanied by a fever and nausea make sure you rule out an appendix inflammation. Again welcome to the board and feel free to ask any and all questions you need to.

Thanks for your reply - very informative. Doctor says appendix is ok. Seems like one incident of gluten will set it off for a week. This is a great "site" - will continue to read.

Stay well!

Thanks for your reply - very informative. Doctor says appendix is ok. Seems like one incident of gluten will set it off for a week. This is a great "site" - will continue to read.

Stay well!

junie20002 Newbie

Stay well!

Wow this site is wonderful!!!! I've thought that I was just imagining things because I also suffer from that horrible pain. And now I know that it must be from accidental Gluten intake. Thanks be WELL to all of US.

carochip Newbie

Hello -

I went to have a colonscopy done because of this pain in the lower right side! A year before that I was in the ER because I had no idea what this pain was! I have never heard of anyone else getting it.

So the results were that my colon was fine but that I had celiac disease. So I have been gluten-free for a week and the pain has not come back. Talk to me about his! This is the first time I've heard of someone else having it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

4getgluten Rookie

I had pain on my lower right side before I went gluten-free. It used to keep me awake at night. Now, if I accidentally get glutened, the pain comes back. I have to believe it's from the gluten.

ageearmywfe Newbie

I am not sure but when I got pains in my lower right side it was my gallbladder. Then since I guess it was whenever I ate something my body didn't like. I have been on the gluten free diet for five days and haven't noticed pains anywhere for about two.

megsylvan2 Apprentice

I get these strange, funny little pains in my lower right side - just at the bottom of my right rib cage. It does happen after I eat gluten. They come and go and are not too sharp or severe - kind of shooting pains. DOn't know what it is, but do know that it is related to what I have eaten. Doesn't seem to last more than a day or two at the most. I haven't totally pinned down their cause or the timing of them yet.

Moongirl Community Regular

I had that lower right side pain for about a year off and on before i was DX, the day i went gluten-free it went away and havent had it since, my GI thinks it was related to me Celiac, he said it could have been a number of things, but since i had a positive repsonse to my diet it was most likely some sort of imflamation/irritation, which btw also caused pain around my belly button area.

megsylvan2 Apprentice

One other thing -- if the pains are strong and sharp and stabbing, it might be something different. Someone I worked with had strong, stabbing pains in the lower right side. I think they were really sharp. She was concerned about appendicitis, so saw a doctor about it. Turns out the pains were from constipation. Once that was taken care of - no more pain.

JodiC Apprentice

I too had this pain. Turned out to be my liver. Because of celiac our bodies organs respond differently to gluten. Some people's livers will send off extra enzymes to deal with the "toxic" problem. My levels were only slightly elevated but is something my GI is monitoring closely. I am actually due for blood tests next month to see if they have come back down. If not I will be scheduled for a needle biopsy. Don't forget that the bodies defenses are severly damaged with celiac. The liver is what detoxes our bodies. You have to get copies of all of your blood test results and put the pieces together yourself. You just may find something your doctor missed.

DEE BAERTSCH Newbie
I too had this pain. Turned out to be my liver. Because of celiac our bodies organs respond differently to gluten. Some people's livers will send off extra enzymes to deal with the "toxic" problem. My levels were only slightly elevated but is something my GI is monitoring closely. I am actually due for blood tests next month to see if they have come back down. If not I will be scheduled for a needle biopsy. Don't forget that the bodies defenses are severly damaged with celiac. The liver is what detoxes our bodies. You have to get copies of all of your blood test results and put the pieces together yourself. You just may find something your doctor missed.

Hi Jodi;

When I first had the pain in my liver the Dr. diagnosed me with primary billiary cirrhosis and treated me with Urso which controlled my diarrhea, but after progressing to osteoporosis after 2 years of taking Actenol, they finally found Celiac. I have now returned my liver enzymes to normal after having stopped all medication and being gluten free for 2 years, as well as improving my osteoporosis. I still get occasional liver pain when I take vitamins without food. I think the gluten caused my liver inflammation, which is called PBC. The symptoms of PBC & Celiac are so similiar, it will be interesting if they are someday universally considered to be the same thing. Once you have had the intestinal damage, your liver & intestines are still very touchy; the pain is telling you you're eating something wrong.

• 5 weeks later...
Steve798 Newbie

Hello -

Hi,

My body went strange in July of 2005. Had the bloating, constant upset stomach, discomfort in the lower right side of my abdomen. Doctors were of little help. The only thing they found after tons of tests was that my thyroid was off. So they prescribed synthroid for my thyroid... only problem was that it made things worse vice better as at the time I was still eating things to upset my stomach without knowing it. I eventually discovered that my problems had to do with my eating. I slowly went gluten free and my symptoms relaxed enough that the thyroid medication could take effect. Just a note... about 30% of people that have a gluten intollorance leading to Celiac also have a thyroid problem.

Now and then when my body goes off due to something I ate, the discomfort will return in my lower right side, along with the foggy head, upset stomach, and weird stools.

So, I'd say that you are correct in thinking that the discomfort you feel is in relation to what you are eating.

Steve

Steve

• 9 years later...
Treece68 Rookie
On 5/9/2006 at 1:29 PM, carochip said:

I went to have a colonscopy done because of this pain in the lower right side! A year before that I was in the ER because I had no idea what this pain was! I have never heard of anyone else getting it.

So the results were that my colon was fine but that I had celiac disease. So I have been gluten-free for a week and the pain has not come back. Talk to me about his! This is the first time I've heard of someone else having it!

This is how my problems started my blood test came back celiac I'm getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow. I also have lower back pain.

gilligan Enthusiast

d

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome to the forum Treeece68! :)

You may not get many response since this is an old thread.  But we are glad to help you with questions. 

Archived