2 replies to this topic

#1 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:03 PM

I was wondering if the cold cuts you typically buy at grocery store delis are gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:09 AM

Hillshire farm meats are all gluten free except beer brats and corn dogs. I eat their ham quite often.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:35 AM

Are you talking deli meats you buy in packages or the ones they slice at the counter.

The vast majority of both are gluten-free, although not all. Some of Sara Lee's that are sliced at the counter are not (you'd have to contact Sara Lee to find out which ones aren't). All Boar's Head except a couple are gluten-free. With Oscar Meyer, just read the ingredients as Kraft clearly lists any gluten. Hillshire Farm is OK except the ones mentioned above. All Carl Buddig packaged meats are gluten-free.

There is, however, a contamination problem with meats sliced at the counter. Because some are not gluten-free, you must ask the counter person to clean the slicer. I've had one person give me a hard time about this (and even then somebody else stepped in and took care of it) but everybody else I've asked has been very understanding.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: