22 replies to this topic

#16 elonwy

elonwy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Valerian root is another herbal supplement that works as a sleep aid. It also helps with anxiety, which can contribute to lack of sleep. Your body eventually gets used to Melatonin, and you have to keep upping the dose as you go, and there have been studies that link it to thyroid problems. Anyone with an abnormal thyroid should not take melatonin without consulting thier physician.
The thing about Valerian is it tastes really gross. Make sure you get it in capsule form, drink it with alot of water and try not to burp. It works well though.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

Valerian root is another herbal supplement that works as a sleep aid. It also helps with anxiety, which can contribute to lack of sleep. Your body eventually gets used to Melatonin, and you have to keep upping the dose as you go, and there have been studies that link it to thyroid problems. Anyone with an abnormal thyroid should not take melatonin.
The thing about Valerian is it tastes really gross. Make sure you get it in capsule form, drink it with alot of water and try not to burp. It works well though.
Elonwy

My son never had to up his dose, but I didn't know that about the thyroid! That's not good!
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#18 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

Yeah my mom has had thyroid issues for years, and was specifically instructed not to take melatonin. I was advised not to take it as well, because of her history. They actually use it in some cases to treat thyroid issues, depending on the case, but when not prescribed it can cause problems. Melatonin is naturally created by our thyroids, so we're adding something to our bodies we already make. In some cases it can cause the body to stop making as much, since its relying on the supplement.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#19 azmom3

azmom3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I have horrible insomnia also, but these things sometimes
help....

-lavendar oil...a couple drops on the pillow
-very, very soft music where I can barely hear it...Norah Jones, ocean music, lullabyes, etc
-write down my next day's "to do" list BEFORE I go to bed (then, I don't sit there thinking about everything I have to do and worrying about whether or not I'll remember) YOu may even want to put a pad of paper and pen by the bed and if something's really bugging you, write it down, so you don't stress about it
-ok, this one sounds crazy, but I count backwards from 100. It takes a lot of concentration on my part because I usually get to about 93 or 94 and then realize that I'm thinking about something else. I then start over from 100 again and try to concentrate harder to see if I can get to 1. You gotta try it before you knock it. :rolleyes:
-reading in bed

Good luck! Lack of sleep can be so debilitating.

#20 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

My insomnia has been pretty bad lately. I have always had good and bad weeks even before I knew about Celiac and went gluten free. I have only been gluten free (to the best of my knowledge, considering I still feel pretty awful) for almost one month and my insomnia is probably the worst it has ever been. Between my anxiety and depression, getting a real full night's sleep has been a rare occasion for this month. I just started to do yoga this week and I'm in love with it (well for the 2 times I actually did it!!). It helped me to ease my anxiety with the breathing exercises and it relaxes me a lot. After doing my 45 minute yoga DVD on Sunday and Monday night, I had a glass of sleepy time tea (a mix of peppermint and chamomile) and with the help of my comfy padded eye mask, I was out cold in a short time with only waking up twice throughout the night. For me, that's a huge improvement. It probably doesn't help that I have two very active cats who go crazy throughout the night in my very small one bedroom apartment. I didn't do Yoga last night and I was up all night long. So who knows if Yoga has any validity, but anything to ease my anxiety and calm my nerves is great for me!

I know exercising is the best thing for anxiety and helps with insomnia but the hard part is actually getting up and exercising. It's hard to want to be active when you're already feeling down in the dumps, fatigued, and have to run to the bathroom all the time!!

One day at a time though right?
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

#21 utdan

utdan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

My doctor told me to shut of all the lights in the apartment or at least stay in a completely dark room 1/2 hour before going to bed. It's important to do all the brushing of teeth and other bathroom stuff before that 1/2 hour as any bright lights trigger a wake-up response in the brain. Even turning on a light for a second will ruin it. Also no computer or Tv in that time. I think I remember him saying that keeping your eyes open in the dark at night causes your brain to produce more melatonin. When I have had the discipline to do it, I've seen good results!
Dan

Negative blood work
gluten-free since 3/5/06

#22 Papa_Hen

Papa_Hen

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:04 AM

Ambien works well for me. Fortunately, I only need it occasionally and I try not to use it at all.

Tylenol PM has also been suggested to me.

- Henry

#23 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:52 AM

My doctor told me to shut of all the lights in the apartment or at least stay in a completely dark room 1/2 hour before going to bed. It's important to do all the brushing of teeth and other bathroom stuff before that 1/2 hour as any bright lights trigger a wake-up response in the brain. Even turning on a light for a second will ruin it. Also no computer or Tv in that time. I think I remember him saying that keeping your eyes open in the dark at night causes your brain to produce more melatonin. When I have had the discipline to do it, I've seen good results!

That is neat! Never heard of that. :)

Brush teeth, warm bath (epson salts added), fresh air in room, and spray pillow with lavendar spray. Get into comfortable bed and good pillow. :)
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: