This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast, gluten-free, Low Carb, High Protein, Ideas Needed

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

OKay as I am workingon coping with yet another diet change that makes my pantry pretty much wasted money (Im starting to thin celiac disease is a supermarket created dease! LOL ) So this is what I am looking for, some good breakfast ideas. They need be gluten-free (we are a 100% gluten-free house), and since I appear to be a hypoglycimiac dude, I need skip sugary cereals like the 4 boxes of cocoa puffs I have.

No, its not limited to "breakfast" foods, but it has to be realy easy to prepair and travel well. Leftovers from dinners are usally that nights dinner (or lunch) so they are out... Son has egg allergy so we aviod eggs too.

thanks! y'all are great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nancym Enthusiast
OKay as I am workingon coping with yet another diet change that makes my pantry pretty much wasted money (Im starting to thin celiac disease is a supermarket created dease! LOL ) So this is what I am looking for, some good breakfast ideas. They need be gluten-free (we are a 100% gluten-free house), and since I appear to be a hypoglycimiac dude, I need skip sugary cereals like the 4 boxes of cocoa puffs I have.

No, its not limited to "breakfast" foods, but it has to be realy easy to prepair and travel well. Leftovers from dinners are usally that nights dinner (or lunch) so they are out... Son has egg allergy so we aviod eggs too.

thanks! y'all are great!

I get these wonderful chicken/turkey sausages from Trader Joe's. They're delicious and big and don't contain any fillers that I can't have. I usually have a couple of those for breakfast. They're pre-cooked so all I have to do is microwave them.

Another breakfast I make is eggs. I dump a couple of raw eggs, a little olive oil into a container. I might add other things like scallions or sun dried tomatoes. Anyway, when I get to work I shake the container REAL hard to scramble the eggs. I pour it into a bowl and microwave until cooked, but not overcooked!

Hard boiled eggs are another good one, although I get sick of them REAL fast. Deviling them makes them better.

I'm going to start using coconut milk and frozen berries to make dairy-free shakes. I have some of that vance's potato milk now too, so I could use that.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I like cottage cheese with frozen blueberries, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. Easy to make, lots of good stuff. Sometimes I eat it with some canned alaskan salmon on the side. Now my husband and 18 year old daughter eat it, too!

Nancym Enthusiast

Ah yes, the salmon reminds of another breakfast. Sometimes I make salmon patties. I have a recipe from "The Garden of Eating" that is divine, but if I'm in a huge hurry I just used dehydrated onion, eggs, salt and pepper and throw in some dried parsley. Make it up ahead of time, cook the patties until done and then store them in a fridge. Take them out and eat a couple for breakfast.

dlp252 Apprentice

So, by travel well, so you mean like eat in the car, or do you just mean easily portable? Do you have access to a microwave?

For breakfast I've been eating something like an apple with nut butter (either peanut, almond or hazelnut butter). That would be pretty portable.

Today I had a ribeye steak (insert any meat you like or can afford), with half an avocado and a little apple sauce. Could be portable as long as you didn't have to eat in the car and had access to a microwave if you don't like "cold" meat.

I've had tuna salad for breakfast...just tuna with mayo and a few peas. That's portable as long as it isn't kept too long before eating outside of refrigeration.

I've also had meat with a pureed winter squash (I think they sell at most chain groceries)--I just heat up in the microwave.

I've even had ham diced up with pumpkin (just plain old Libby's pure pumpkin).

How about sliced ham (not lunch meat, but my store sells a package of a little bit thicker sliced ham--like real slices of ham, lol) with applesauce.

Thought of more:

Do you like split peas...those are very reasonable and you can buy and make a big pot, with a little diced ham, carrots, whatever and freeze them in individual containers. I pop one out and heat in the microwave for breakfast sometimes.

I've even had chili for breakfast...I make my own with organic canned beans, crushed tomatoes and whatever ground meat I feel like...had it with ground beef, ground buffalo, ground turkey, ground ostrich and ground chicken. :)

By-the-way, I don't like to cook and live alone, so most of my "cooking" consists of a one-pot type of thing or microwave. I don't spend hours preparing all my food.

VydorScope Proficient
So, by travel well, so you mean like eat in the car, or do you just mean easily portable? Do you have access to a microwave?

I typicaly eat breakfast twice, once at home around 430am.. and once a couple hours later at my desk at work. I have a mircowave and fridge at work, and a fiarly short (less then 20mins) drive.

(just wanted to answer that real fast still reading the replies... thanks!! keep them comming pls! I cant be the only one needing this info :) )

penguin Community Regular

Here's what I eat for breakfast, without keeling over at my desk by 10:30...

- Hot dog roll ups (hot dog, american cheese, ketchup in a corn tortilla) It's toddler food but I love it, 2 roll ups do the trick. I usually drink some v-8 also with this.

- Omlette with cheese and spinach. (if you can get away with eggs)

- Grilled cheese sandwich (with v-8 juice)

- A couple of corn cakes or rice cakes with peanut butter and some fruit

- Cereal with milk (are you still dairy free?), but always with bacon or sausage (the jimmy dean precooked stuff ain't bad)

- Fruit smoothie with protein (I haven't done this in a while, so I don't know a good gluten-free protein powder)

- Breakfast tacos (see above about eggs)

- Quesadillas

I usually snack at work also, but it's usually whatever junk food I have in my desk :ph34r:

Nuts and fruit are good mid morning snacks. And jerky, if you can stomach it. Ooh! I just remembered that I have jerky in my desk. SWEET! :)

I buy very little specialty food, so most of that stuff is easily found at kroger.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I know I've posted some of these before, but I'll do it again to put them in one place and add to the list. (I'll even add some of those hated packaged foods! ;) )

• rice cakes and 'butter' (peanut, almond, hemp seed, sunflower seed, etc.)
  • hot cereal with flax meal (and cinnamon for taste!)
  • smoothie (made with rice protein powder and coconut milk for protein/fat)
  • Welshire Farms Sausages (freezer section - microwaveable)
  • homemade muffins (make on weekend, with flax meal, oil, etc. - freeze and heat in microwave during the week)
  • yogurt (soy or dairy) with a big dose of flax meal or hemp seeds (the later is tastier ;-) )
  • Imagine Tomato Soup with frozen baby shrimp (good for sticking in the microwave at work)
  • Clif Nectar Bars (or the like)
  • flax crackers

dlp252 Apprentice
I typicaly eat breakfast twice, once at home around 430am.. and once a couple hours later at my desk at work. I have a mircowave and fridge at work, and a fiarly short (less then 20mins) drive.

(just wanted to answer that real fast still reading the replies... thanks!! keep them comming pls! I cant be the only one needing this info :) )

Ha, you're schedule is a lot like mine. I do the same thing...eat around 4:45 then again at work (although I try to wait until 9:00 or at least 8:30. I bring two "lunches" with me to work, plus a snack. My two lunches combined would be most other peoples dinner I think. So basically, I'm dividing my big lunch in half because I get hungry early in the day because I get up so early, but if I ate the whole thing then I'd get too hungry in the afternoon. So, basically I eat at 4:45 am, 8:30 am, 11:30 am, 3:00 or 4:00 pm depending on whether I work out when I get home from work, and have a snack at 5:30 pm. I go to bed at 8:30, and sometimes I do have a bit of nut butter before I go to bed.

Today I brought pork for my two "lunches" and a whole package of the pureed squash (half with one and half with the other). I also brought a banana to have with one of them.

Nuts are good to leave at work so that you have something really quick to munch on when you get really hungry. At home I always have nut butter of some kind for those late night hunger pangs...I eat it straight out of the jar, lol (I live alone).

Nantzie Collaborator

We don't eat traditional breakfasts around here. My kids don't have any dietary restrictions, but my daughter is very picky. She doesn't like eggs. And she doesn't like any type of breakfast breads, cereals or pastries; no cereals or granola, no pancakes, waffles, donuts, french toast, poptarts, etc. So you can imagine "breakfast" went out the window a long time ago for us. <_<

When we visited my husband's family in Germany, I learned that they don't eat breakfast foods over there either. They have slices of bread, and then cheeses, meats, lunch meats, sausages, mustards, etc.

We do a lot of cheese, peanut butter, meats, fruit, yogurt, etc. for breakfast. I kind of approach breakfast like I do lunch. Try to hit 3 out of the 4 food groups and call it done. A cheese stick wrapped in lunch meat, or lunch meat rolled up or layered with some tomato and lettuce. Kind of like making fajitas, but using lunch meat or lettuce as the wrapper.

Also check out www.mrbreakfast.com . It get's you brainstorming.

Nancy

CarlaB Enthusiast

This is so funny, you sound like a Hobbitt, "What about second breakfast?" :lol:

I like Bumblebars (www.bumblebar.com). I don't know if they meet the criteria, 15g fat, 4g fiber, 11g sugar, 6g protein. Maybe if you ate it along with a handful of raw almonds it would be okay. It's definately portable.

Guest BERNESES

i admit, I hate breakfast, but the more I'm reading abaout what is happening to you Vincent, the more I'm realizing I NEED to eat breakfast. OK- so no gluten, soy or dairy? And no eggs because of Tymber?

Let's see- I'd go with breakfast sausages of some kind- al Fresco makes yummy sausages that are gluten-free (except the Teriyaki) and precooked so you just need to heat them up.

Peanut butter and jelly on rice cakes (OK- I admit, I like them on EK chocolate rice bars but that's probably way too much sugar).

Have you tried Lara bars. They take some getting used to but really good for you.

flax, buckwheat or corn pancakes that you could make the night before and then heat up. I'm not a big maple syrup fan so I eat them with some butter and cinnamon.

Cornbread? Like Gluten Free pantry?

Check out this link: gluten free and low carb. It looks interesting:

Open Original Shared Link

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!! B

penguin Community Regular

I don't know about any other hypo folks, but things like larabars don't do an effin thing for me. They're raw fruit and run through the bloodstream really fast.

on the bar references:

for me (and remember it's a totally personal thing, so this may or may not help you), I find that bumble bars are totally fine for not messing with my blood sugar (they've got enough fat/protein to balance the sugar and work well, actually, if I'm in a bit of a hypoglycemic episode). larabars have too much dried fruit for me (or maybe the taste is just off), but some of the flavors of clif nectar bars work fine.

Guest BERNESES
We do a lot of cheese, peanut butter, meats, fruit, yogurt, etc. for breakfast. I kind of approach breakfast like I do lunch. Try to hit 3 out of the 4 food groups and call it done. A cheese stick wrapped in lunch meat, or lunch meat rolled up or layered with some tomato and lettuce. Kind of like making fajitas, but using lunch meat or lettuce as the wrapper.

Nancy

this reminded me Vincent, if you can get your hands on some Boar's Head meats (turkey, ham, roast, beef) they are really good. I don't like cold cuts but i will eat theirs. And you could heat them up and roll them in lettuce or cheese (if you do dairy again).

Sounds like I need to try bumble bars!

i'm trying to think of some intriguing breakfast recipe for you. could you keep eggs at work for your second breakfast? My dad was an air traffic controller and he used to keep eggs in the tower, throw them in a cup, mix them up and cook them in the microwave because he worked such screwed up hours. He still does it because it's easier and less messy. Do it in a mug or a paper cup (NOT styrofoam- chemicals :ph34r: ). You could add some salsa or meat in it too. He calls them Tower Omelettes :P

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Typically,

I eat a Ham N Cheese Sandwich (Kinnikinnick Bread), Turkey n Cheese or Sausage n Cheese Sandwich (or bagel or english muffin, etc)

I also usually drink 1 "Ensure" in the a.m. to get me going (plus, they have great amounts of vitamins in them).

dlp252 Apprentice

I LOVE my chocolate Bumble Bars. I also love Lara Bars and Clif Nectar bars...with any bar I usually put a nut butter on it...I like fat, lol. Fat is about the only thing that keeps me full.

jerseyangel Proficient
I LOVE my chocolate Bumble Bars. I also love Lara Bars and Clif Nectar bars...with any bar I usually put a nut butter on it...I like fat, lol. Fat is about the only thing that keeps me full.

I do the same thing! I put some natural peanut butter on my bars--gives them an extra protein kick--and I stay full longer.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I get these wonderful chicken/turkey sausages from Trader Joe's. They're delicious and big and don't contain any fillers that I can't have. I usually have a couple of those for breakfast. They're pre-cooked so all I have to do is microwave them.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. They're made by Cantella, a bit expensive, but I can't get enough of the cilantro/green pepper ones, eat one of those with two eggs and NEVER get sick of them!

Warrior Woman Rookie

If you can do the eggs- this is what I do EVERY morning:

1) in a glass bowl (about 2 cup size) I pour in frozen corn, peas, broccoli, asparagus and spinach (yeah all of them!) and microwave it for two minutes to heat it up. If you try and cook the egg w/ the frozen veggies, there can be issues like the egg not cooking all the way in some spots. And if I remember I put the veggies in the bowl the night before so they can defrost

2) throw in some onion and 1/2 oz low fat cheese with a lot of flavor

3) mix it all up and microwave it for 3 minutes

There is more veggeis than egg for sure. the egg kind of keeps it all together. I love it!

I also usually drink 1 "Ensure" in the a.m. to get me going (plus, they have great amounts of vitamins in them).

Ensure, unfortunately, has dairy. As does Boost. And all the generics I saw. (I got smacked in the face by a tree this weekend, and twenty stitches in my lip and chin are making real food a problem, and I *WISH* that the enriched meal substitutes were an option, because homemade smoothies, tastier though they may be, are not as complete of a meal without going out and buying expensive liquid multivitamins, and it's hard to justify for just a few days.)

eKatherine Rookie

I used to bring a dish with peeled soft boiled eggs, breakfast sausage, spinach or some other vegetable, and rice for a late breakfast at work.

jerseyangel Proficient
Ensure, unfortunately, has dairy. As does Boost. And all the generics I saw. (I got smacked in the face by a tree this weekend, and twenty stitches in my lip and chin are making real food a problem, and I *WISH* that the enriched meal substitutes were an option, because homemade smoothies, tastier though they may be, are not as complete of a meal without going out and buying expensive liquid multivitamins, and it's hard to justify for just a few days.)

My gosh Tiffany--ouch!! I hope it's not too uncomfortable--feel better soon :)

Guest BERNESES

Tiffany- OUCH! Hope you recover quickly too. :(:blink:

VydorScope Proficient

OUCH!!!!! Sorry to hear that!

Archived