Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Why to be careful with Lotions, makeup, shampoos etc.

51 posts in this topic

Kathleen,

Thank you for your reply...a good point made: the soap is rinsed off, anyway. Surprisingly, my immune system was never really bad in the first place....for example, there was a TERRIBLE flu going around the upper grades of my school last December. My seventh grade homeroom normally had 20 kids and dropped to a mere 5....I was one of the five. An eighth grade class of 20 dropped to 3, another dropped to 8, and another seventh grade class went from 20 down to about 12.....it was crazy. I was so suprised to be one of the few standing....I think my immune system was never really that bad, but my celiac symptoms got me sick, instead. I get fewer colds now than I did before the diet, but I never had that many, anyway.

-celiac3270

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Now that my initial rage has calmed a tad.... your daughter has to fulfill 4 out of 5 of the diagnostic criteria. Second opinion can do a gene test. If positive, then she will have4 out of 5 of the dx criteria to dx without a positive biopsy. See: http://www.gastro.org/news_items/a-biopsy-should-not-be-required-to-make-the-diagnosis which says in part: The presence of signs and symptoms compatible with celiac disease. Positive serology screening (high serum levels of anti-TTG and/or EMA). Presence of the predisposing genes HLA-DQ2 and/or –DQ8. Histological evidence of auto-insult of jejunal mucosa typical of celiac disease. Resolution of the symptoms and normalization of serology test following the implementation of a gluten-free diet.   Also see: http://www.tenderfoodie.com/blog/2014/5/1/dr-fasano-on-new-gut-autoimmune-research-autism-clearing-up.html She can get a dx after her symptoms resolve on a gluten-free diet!
    • OMG!!!! The doc wants her to get sicker & sicker & do further damage so he can diagnose her? Don't do me any favors doc!!! I'm so spitting med right now I can't even speak! Find a new doc, take the records & get a second opinion. Maybe the next doc will have a freaking brain & dx your daughter. She should be dx'd! This is absurd in the extreme. The very least that should happen is the doc give her a dx now & then in a year or 2 have her do a gluten challenge & do a biopsy all over again but seriously, that would be just as cruel as what he's doing now. He's an ASS!
    • Celiac disease may lead to a host of other inflammatory, gluten-related ... Fortunately, Diet Doc offers gluten-free diet plans which are customized to ... View the full article
    • Cyclinglady is absolutely correct, after hours of internet research the only gluten-free food available at JNB is a fast food chain called 'Nandos'. I was hoping for a bit more variety, but I'll take what I get.   
    • I'm so confused about my daughter's diagnosis.  I hope somebody can help.   My 4 year old daughter has a swollen belly, stomachaches, and lots of gas.  She does not have diarrhea or delayed growth.  Because of her symptoms and because it runs in the family (2nd degree relatives) I had her tested for celiac.   She was weak positive for TTG (IGA)  and strong positive for DGP (IGG)   TTG (IGA)  8   (0-3 neg, 4-10 weak positive, greater than 10 positive) TTG (IGG)  2   EMA: Negative DGP (IGG)  47  (0-19 negative, 20-30 weak positive, greater than 30 positive) Last week, she had her endoscopy.  The doctor found inflammation and little holes or bumps on her duodenum.  He started her on prevacid and said based on his observations, he was suspicious of celiac, but he would not be able to confirm until the biopsy came back. The biopsy showed no signs of celiac disease.  He said that he could not diagnose her with celiac without the biopsy report saying there was celiac damage.  He said he would categorize her as a potential celiac, keep her on a gluten diet and redo the endoscopy in a year or two to check for damage again.  My questions are: 1.)  If it is not celiac, something is causing her duodenum to be inflamed and have little holes or bumps on it, right?  Could it be a wheat allergy or gluten sensitivity?  What else could it be and how do they test for it?  Given her elevated celiac antibodies, how likely is it to be anything besides celiac causing the damage?  2.)  How likely are false positives for TTG and DGP?  I've heard they are pretty sensitive and specific.  Does getting two positives make false positives less likely? 3.) What have you done in this situation?  I want her to have an official diagnosis to make things easier at school and to feel confident that we are eliminating gluten permanently for a worthy reason, etc.  But, I'm having a hard time imagining keeping her on gluten and waiting for her to get more sick and have more intestinal damage just for a diagnosis.     Thanks in advance for your help.  I'm so overwhelmed and confused.  I hope someone has some insight and experience that will help clear things up for me.            
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    georgemathews