Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why to be careful with Lotions, makeup, shampoos etc.

• Please log in to reply

50 replies to this topic

#16 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:10 AM

Thanks. Will try the Fructis or L'Oreal.

As for symptoms with hair products and soaps - I've never had many symptoms to begin with. Mine come over time, and mostly neurological. A very high percentage of Celiacs have no noticable symptoms at all.

I'd rather be cautious and avoid it all just in case, especially since I know I can't always tell when I've had gluten anyway. Actually, the Neutrogena shampoo I was using gave me a terribly itchy scalp, SO, I guess that was a symptom?

donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

I'm glad someone asked this! I'm so new still, and was having trouble with the connection. My My Mary Kay friend, who sells me product, thought I was a bit tetched, I think! Anyway, she is trading me a few things, as some are, and some aren't gluten-free. I also bought mascara at Wild Oats recently.

My explanation to these folks who wonder how make-up, hair, and skin products can affect a dietary problem, is that as I become more gluten-free, the less gluten it will take to set me off! So, I'm working at getting rid of it now, before it makes me sick. And even though I haven't had a skin biopsy, I do have scars on my knees and elbows, indicative of DH. Having seen the Dr. Tues, and she was in agreement as to the probability of it being DH.

I had emailed to Pfizer, the makers of Lubriderm, my hand lotion. They said their product didn't have wheat in it, but wouldn't guarantee it not to be cross contaminated. I'm still using it. What do you think? Shouldn't???

I had the dumbest and funniest repy from Victoria's Secret. I had bought a few bottles of their bath gel on sale this winter. I emailed them as to it being gluten-free. They emailed back that they didn't know, and to ask the people at my local store! How dumb! There are young girls working, and we know hardly anyone knows about gluten, of any age, for that matter!!!!

My daughter is a hairdresser, and she just traded me out a couple of products that weren't gluten-free. I'm not sure about my shampoo, but it looks okay, from the label. So much to learn! Good thing I can still read such small print, as all I ever do is read labels!
Nita

#18 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:40 AM

I'm off to get my hair done today and as an afterthought packed my L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner in case the salon doesn't have gluten-free shampoo. My hairdresser hates me to use drug store products but that's too bad. We do what we have to do. Then I'm going to ge my acrylic nails filled. Do you think the nail glue can hurt us? Am I going to far to worry about it? The glue is on the inside of the nail and under the polish...
Thanks for listening!
Terri
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#19 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:54 AM

My husband who is Celiac uses Clinique post shave healing lotion. I asked them over email if it's gluten-free; their response is for me to read the label. I am not a chemist, how the heck would I know what came from a gluten source. Does any one know of a suitable gluten-free replacement product for this? this product is like a face lotion, but fragrance and color free.

Thanks, Debbie
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#20 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:38 AM

Speaking of Clinique...It's bonus time at Nordstrom and two of the free items (body lotion and lipstick) clearly say "Wheat" in the ingredients! So much for being allergy tested and safe. I just emailed them about some of their other products. We'll see. I'm finding that the cheaper brands of toiletries are the ones that DON'T contain wheat products. I have started carrying a magnifying glass with me when I shop now. Those ingredients sure are hard to read!
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#21 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:25 PM

Pegster,
Let us know what you find out! I just got some different skin products from my Mary Kay friend that look gluten-free. Will go check them out, right now! The face and eye cream I was using, had wheat in them, clearly labeled.
Nita

#22 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:34 PM

I just bought some Neutrogena face wash and body wash and all that jazz because I thought it was gluten-free, so I should take it back (I havet opened them yet)?

Kristina

#23 eramica

eramica

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:54 PM

It's amazing how many shampoos have wheat protein as an ingredient! Yellow Number 5 is common too. (Can cause asthma) I have a sensitivity to many frangrances as well as gluten and yellow #5...try finding unscented shampoo!!! As someone mentioned there is a unscented neutrogena if you can find it but it doesn't agree with my hair. My longtime favorite shampoo is Orgene Herbal which is almost impossible to find also...I'm pretty sure it is gluten free but I'm going to contact them as I haven't been able to find a bottle of it at my usual NYC health food stores, so I report my findings!
Good luck y'all, stay strong!

#24 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:53 AM

Accidental ingestion isn't the only reason to worry about gluten in cosmetics! I had a horrible experience at the hairdressers that you guys need to know about. I NEVER had contact dermatitis before going gluten-free, no skin reaction to gluten of any kind at all. Then a couple of months into being gluten-free, I had my hair washed at the salon. I usually just have my head sprayed with water--my hair's really short and I always wash it before going, but we washed it. I thought maybe there was peppermint or something in the shampoo because my scalp was uncomfortably tingly. This was before I paid any attention at all to gluten-free products for skin and hair. About two months later, I went back, got shampooed again, being even more gluten-free, and felt like my head was ON FIRE! I couldn't breathe, my heart was racing, tears were coming out of my eyes, it was awful! A little light went on in my thick head, and I read the shampoo label. It said "Hydrolized Wheat Protein". Duh! I have since replaced EVERY product in our home with gluten-free products. My daughter is also celiac disease and at 11, starting to wear shiny lip gloss and such, and it's gluten-free all the way! Our sunscreen is gluten-free,so are baby wipes, and all hotel souveneirs have been tossed. I am living proof that you can suddenly develop a nasty reaction to gluten that has nothing to do with DH. Do yourselves a favor and go gluten-free before your head catches on fire (just kidding!)
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#25 Queen Serenity

Queen Serenity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

Dana q,
I had a bad experience with shampoo, also. I used a Paul Mitchell product, without realizing it had wheat protein in it, and my scalp burned for days! You are not alone in the experience. I warn all people who have Celiac's to bring their own shampoo and conditioner to a hair salon. I learned my lesson. Thanks for sharing.
Vicki :)

#26 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:16 AM

Just a little note that I discovered at the salon. My haircolor dye has wheat in it! Luckily there is another brand that does not. Unfortunately, she checked AFTER she had put my color on! I did bring my own shampoo and conditioner though. So, before coloring, please check out the ingredients. (I had no ill effects though, thank goodness).
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#27 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2004 - 12:44 PM

My daughter is a hair stylist, so she has been very careful with me! We've learned to read the labels of the products she uses. She even got me some new products, and took my leftovers in trade! I will remember when I go for a color, to have her check that, too! Thanks for the tips!

#28 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:09 PM

Clinique contacted me with a list of names for wheat, barley, oat etc. chemical names.

Wheat ingredients all say "wheat" in them (Ex: hydrolized wheat protein) except triticum vulgare. A barley derived ingredient is "hordeum vulgare" and something called "panicum Miliaceum" comes from millet whatever that is. The other ingredients say the actual grain used. I was surprised that their lipstick which I have used for years has wheat in it. I gave mine away and bought Lancome. I have to be really careful with what I use, because my major symptom is DH. I'm sure many people with celiac disease will have no reaction from wheat in cosmetics, but I do.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#29 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:13 PM

Thank you, Pegster!
I will look at the Lancome line, also. I think my Mary Kay and Estee Lauder lines both have several products with wheat in them.
Even though I haven't been biopsied for DH, I may have it. I still get small, sore bumps on my elbows and knees, but they come and go so quick, I haven't had a chance to get an appt. with a dermatologist! I think mine have never been real bad, so hadn't thought much about it!
Nita

#30 joyce

joyce

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:33 AM

HI everyone!
Thanks for the info. on shampoo. I started breaking out on my face and realized that my conditioner from Paul Mitchell has wheat germ in it. Been gluten-free for 6 mo. I bought some Garnier Fructis and like it. I also have been using Mary Kay face cleansing products. I called there 1-800 and they are suppose to be sending me the ingred. in the mail. Why they just couldn't tell me on the phone I don't know.
Anyone know about the cleansers???????? I don't use the make-up or cosmetics
Something is really breaking my face out. Anyone else having that problem. It all seemed to start after I had a gluten accident.
Maybe it hormones- I don't know
Any help would be appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: