Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why to be careful with Lotions, makeup, shampoos etc.

• Please log in to reply

50 replies to this topic

#46 Guest_sushi_*

Guest_sushi_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:52 AM

Reading this thread of postings has been very enlightening. Does anyone know if there is a list posted anywhere of what is gluten-free? I have been looking for a shampoo and will check out those mentioned here. I have also been wondering if I should continue coloring my hair. I had a very bad allergic reaction the last time I went to the hair dresser and had my hair colored.

Susette
HI

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Pegster

Pegster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:49 AM

A list of products would be very helpful. Try http://www.celiac.co...-12104486024.2d
the list of mainstream products that are gluten-free on this website.

I had my hairdresser check the ingredients on all of her haircolors for me and she found one that didn't have wheat listed. I also have her put a roll of cotton around my hairline which really helps because I used to get blisters on my face after a dye job. I'm not ready to give up coloring my hair. I also bring my own shampoo with me to the hairdresser now.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#48 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:09 AM

I don't really use lotion...don't have issues with my shampoo....use Banana Boat sunscreen.......but about the soap.

My dad travels a lot and sometimes he brings home some of the soaps from hotels if he stays at really good ones. Is this bad?.....how impt. is the soap thing? I wash my hands A LOT...I used to do it because I thought that I just had a terrible immune system and washing a lot would avoid germs, thus avoid sick. Since then, I'm not as crazy about washing my hands unnecessarily, but still do it a lot.....esp. with cross-contamination issues. Is soap a big issue? If so, what are some mainstream brands of soap that I could use? Thanks.

-celiac3270

#49 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:40 AM

celiac3270,

The celiac disease experts say that things that touch your skin do not affect celiac.
My nutritionist told me that things like dish soap don't matter because you rinse the dishes after using the soap.

However, it's obvious from reading posts on this site that a lot of people are sensitive to products on the skin, whether or not they have an intestinal effect.

I use gluten-free choices only in instances where there is a possibility of ingestion. (hand lotion, makeup, lipstick, suncreen, hairspray, hand wipes, etc) I am not particularly careful about soap, dish detergent, etc, since they are rinsed clean.

Best wishes,
Kathleen
(gluten-free since Aug. 2003, confirmed celiac disease, possible DH)

PS BY the way, has your immune system improved since diagnosis? I have had substantial improvement and rarely even get colds now. The pneumovax helped a lot, though.

#50 Roxyk

Roxyk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:29 AM

I was just at a Clinique counter & their makeup does say wheat & the newer one says barley. The girl argued with me that if I hadn't had a problem, then what does it matter. Well, it sure explains why my rash has gone away since I quit using Clinique products. Same with Estee Lauder.

I am now going to try Bare Essentials makeup - made from crushed minerals - "definately gluten-free".

I have been using one Neutrogena shampoo/conditioner that doesn't have anything listed, but I can't tell you how bad my head itches.

I did ask Victoria's Secret about a specific lotion & splash & they said it was gluten-free.

I am beginning to think it's all in who you ask - you can get many different answers from the same darn company!

#51 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

Kathleen,
Thank you for your reply...a good point made: the soap is rinsed off, anyway. Surprisingly, my immune system was never really bad in the first place....for example, there was a TERRIBLE flu going around the upper grades of my school last December. My seventh grade homeroom normally had 20 kids and dropped to a mere 5....I was one of the five. An eighth grade class of 20 dropped to 3, another dropped to 8, and another seventh grade class went from 20 down to about 12.....it was crazy. I was so suprised to be one of the few standing....I think my immune system was never really that bad, but my celiac symptoms got me sick, instead. I get fewer colds now than I did before the diet, but I never had that many, anyway.

-celiac3270

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: