#1 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Hey, I just thought of something...

Is anyone else here a Celiac with NO ONE else in their family ever having been???

We are looking back on both sides of the family and NEVER any digestive problems or cancers of ANY kind on either side. Wierd!

Isn't Celiac genetic/hereditary??? How do you get it otherwise?

donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

i wonder

#3 sunshine264

sunshine264

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

Same here Donna. However, from what I have read, Celiac Disease RECOGNITION is on the rise. Its possible that people in your family have had some of the symptoms, but never sought help from it.
Also the incidence is 1/20 for brother/sister/parents, but 1/40 for aunt/uncle/grandparent. Because of this, you may be the only one (like me) who "got lucky"!

Eileen

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:41 PM

No one else in my family is aware of having celiac. Since there are SO MANY silent celiacs, it could be that someone has it, but doesn't know it, or that it's a recent "addition" to your family's genetic makeup.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Guest_Evelyn&Ric_*

Guest_Evelyn&Ric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:18 PM

My husband Ric who is half Greek, and became gluten intolerant in his 50s. No one in is family that we know of has Celiac. We think it may have been triggered by over use of antibiotics. He was seeing a dermatologist for many years who kept switching his meds. After getting no results from doctors, I found this web site and he tried a gluten-free diet with great results. This acne also cleared up! Thank you Celiac.com and all it's supportive members.
Evelyn

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

My 19 year old sister just started the diet and she says she never knew how sick she felt uuntil after starting the diet and feeeling SO much better. You could always have people in your family tested or just have them start the diet and see what happens if you are really curious.
Molly

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

My parents and brother have been tested -- and don't have it. Nobody in my family is known to have it or has symptoms like it except for me. However, my grandmother on my mother's side...who came from Switzerland has osteoporosis (a long-term symptom) and has always been REALLY thin...thinner than I ever was. I think she has it, but don't know for sure. Anyway, it's not worth getting tested when you're already 80 years old...you can't turn around osteoporosis, scoliosis, thinness, and all the other things once they've progressed so far....techinically nobody in my family has it, but both grandparents on my mother's side are European (Swiss and Swedish), so it makes sense I would have it. I personally believe that my grandmother has it, but based upon solid testing, nobody in my family has it.

No one else in my family is aware of having celiac. Since there are SO MANY silent celiacs, it could be that someone has it, but doesn't know it, or that it's a recent "addition" to your family's genetic makeup.

I concur with Tarnalberry...my parents don't have it, my brother doesn't have it, and the only one who possibly has celiac disease in my family is my grandmother. Perhaps an older relative had SILENT celiac disease...after all, back in the day they didn't test for it...or even know about it (did they?).

-celiac3270

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: