This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Restaurant In Calgary

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

A restaurant just opened yesterday in Calgary. It is run by two men who are Celiacs and it is totally gluten, lactose and smoke free. I haven't tried it yet but plan to very soon. It is located at 7746 Elbow Dr. SW and is called the Splitt Restaurant their phone number is 212-0304, for anyone who is interested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Lynxear had lunch there. Find his comments here:

Open Original Shared Link

I hope the link works.

Rusla Enthusiast

Thanks, it did work. I was under the distinct impression after talking with them that the place was totally gluten lactose free, I guess not.

• 4 weeks later...
Rusla Enthusiast

Tonight I went with my brother's to the new gluten/lactose/smoke-free restaurant/bar...Splitt.

I have to say I was impressed. The servings are huge, the bathrooms clean and the meals are not that pricey for great tasting, large servings. We had an excellent waitress and I must warn the jerk chicken is hot. Hotter than I even had it in Jamaica but then that could have been tourist Jerk. My one brother who is not into spicy had the Maple Chicken and the other had Paella hot level of 3. He can take lots of spice but said he would definitely tone it down to a 2 because he said it was hotter than my Jerk. My SIL had the jerk chicken also. The food was done excellently the chicken I could cut with a fork and my brother said the Paella was the best he has ever had any where. The other brother said his fish was delicious and done perfectly.

My family is not gluten-free and has not been tested except for me but we all agreed that we would definitely go back there. They were so worried that the food was going to be small portions, boring, bland and expensive and were so very pleasantly surprised.

Just a note to anyone with kids, after 4 PM it is turned into a bar. It is not noisy or nuts and the great supper menu applies but kids are not allowed in there but they will do take out.

I strongly recommend everyone give it a try. They have some great dishes and it is great service and food. We drove all the way from the NW end of the city and weren't the only ones who did. Believe me, I would do it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast
Tonight I went with my brother's to the new gluten/lactose/smoke-free restaurant/bar...Splitt.

I have to say I was impressed. The servings are huge, the bathrooms clean and the meals are not that pricey for great tasting, large servings. We had an excellent waitress and I must warn the jerk chicken is hot. Hotter than I even had it in Jamaica but then that could have been tourist Jerk. My one brother who is not into spicy had the Maple Chicken and the other had Paella hot level of 3. He can take lots of spice but said he would definitely tone it down to a 2 because he said it was hotter than my Jerk. My SIL had the jerk chicken also. The food was done excellently the chicken I could cut with a fork and my brother said the Paella was the best he has ever had any where. The other brother said his fish was delicious and done perfectly.

My family is not gluten-free and has not been tested except for me but we all agreed that we would definitely go back there. They were so worried that the food was going to be small portions, boring, bland and expensive and were so very pleasantly surprised.

Just a note to anyone with kids, after 4 PM it is turned into a bar. It is not noisy or nuts and the great supper menu applies but kids are not allowed in there but they will do take out.

I strongly recommend everyone give it a try. They have some great dishes and it is great service and food. We drove all the way from the NW end of the city and weren't the only ones who did. Believe me, I would do it again.

I really want to eat at Splitt, but I am afriad of getting contaminated. Do you think that the food is safe there? Do they have a section in their kitchen for preparing gluten-free foods?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I haven't been there, and probably won't go, because they don't let kids in and it's my 6 year old who needs the gluten-free meal. I was under the impression that everything was gluten-free/lactose free EXCEPT the booze. You should give them a call. The owner's name is Jeff.

Splitt Pourhouse & Grill at 7746 Elbow Drive S.W. (about 5 blocks south of Glenmore on Elbow Dr.)

ph: (403) 212-0304.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Linda,

Are there any restaurants that you guys trust in Calgary?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Thanks Linda,

Are there any restaurants that you guys trust in Calgary?

Bearing in mind that my son has NO OUTWARD symptoms (so we'd never know if he was getting gluten accidentally) we've only been to the Mongolie Grill (4th Street downtown and Dalhousie Station in the Northwest) and Chianti. Chianti has (I believe) 3 locations in town, we go to the one at Crowfoot. They use cornstarch as a thickener - I think he said all sauces are gluten-free and they stock rice vermicelli to use for noodles, but if you bring in your own noodles, they'll cook those.

On the Calgary Celiac website there is a link to restaurants and stores. I think it's something obvious like Open Original Shared Link

How's the new job? Have you found a place to live yet?

Rea Newbie

Splitt - The pictures!

I was going to take some of them before we started eating - and then we forgot because the food was so good. I overheard a lot of people mentioning that they were celiac. I like the idea that they have separate prep counters and that the main chef is one of the owners (and a celiac).

The other day we met my family there for wings. They had a lot of skin (My mom picked some off) but were tasty overall. Also, I had some La Messagere gluten-free beer. It's 4.7% and made from buckwheat and rice. Whodathunk!

Mom said that when she went with a friend a couple of weeks ago the rib meal was a little tough - she of course suggested a 'mom approved' method of cooking them instead :-) I'm sure they are perfect now!

I'm still quite impressed with my now 4 visits to Splitt. I bet they are doing great, and the more good reviews they get the better!

I'm not a trueblood celiac, but my colleague is, and another's daughter is, and they are both tickled with their experiences there. Long Live Splitt!

IMG_8007.webp

collage2.webp

Open Original Shared Link

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Well I have been to Splitt twice now and I am quite impressed. I had their version of Pad Thai Noodles both times and they were very good! The first time I was in, I had a chat with the waittress and asked a few questions and everything seemed to be fine. I am really happy to have a place like that here.

Archived