3 replies to this topic

#1 marilyn

marilyn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:32 AM

Good morning. I under stand that I cannot pick up wheat bread and gluten free bread with the same tongs. However, what about washing plates and utensils in the same dishwasher. Or if I cook a grilled sandwich on a grill and wash it can I use the same grill for gluten free cooking. This may sound odd but I have been told that dishes need to be kept separate.
Thanks for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:20 AM

A good working dish washer should be okay for washing dishes and utensils, from what I have heard. The grill is a definite no. Stay away from porous materials for cookware. Stainless steel is one of your best choices. Do NOT use Teflon coated cookware.

Keeping things separate is good. Wash your hands after touching anything contaminated with gluten, or the best thing is never to touch anything gluten. The hands are very porous and will hold the gluten in for a long time. You donít want to release gluten into anything you eat!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:50 AM

While I have read the same thing about teflon (don't use it for wheat and gluten-free), my personal experience hasn't shown a problem IF (and this is a HUGE IF) the pan is in perfect condition. This almost never happens, it means you can never touch the pan with something metal, you can't touch the pan with anything put a soft sponge, and that you can't store anything on top of the pan either. We have ONE pan, only ever used for pancakes (nothing too liquidy or hard to clean up), that I'm willing to use for both - for the moment. And I haven't had any problem with my old teflon baking sheets. But to be safest, you'd want to use your own pan, because that's an IF that's almost impossible to be sure of.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

wow-
this post is just another reminder of how many details there are to think of. and minutia was never my strong suit... I am learning lots of good lessons-

extreme cleanliness
patience
attention to detail
compassion
GRATITUDE

not to say I have these dialed, but I may be a perfect angel any day now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: