Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Cross Contaminating With Utensils

4 posts in this topic

Good morning. I under stand that I cannot pick up wheat bread and gluten free bread with the same tongs. However, what about washing plates and utensils in the same dishwasher. Or if I cook a grilled sandwich on a grill and wash it can I use the same grill for gluten free cooking. This may sound odd but I have been told that dishes need to be kept separate.

Thanks for any help.

A good working dish washer should be okay for washing dishes and utensils, from what I have heard. The grill is a definite no. Stay away from porous materials for cookware. Stainless steel is one of your best choices. Do NOT use Teflon coated cookware.

Keeping things separate is good. Wash your hands after touching anything contaminated with gluten, or the best thing is never to touch anything gluten. The hands are very porous and will hold the gluten in for a long time. You don

While I have read the same thing about teflon (don't use it for wheat and gluten-free), my personal experience hasn't shown a problem IF (and this is a HUGE IF) the pan is in perfect condition. This almost never happens, it means you can never touch the pan with something metal, you can't touch the pan with anything put a soft sponge, and that you can't store anything on top of the pan either. We have ONE pan, only ever used for pancakes (nothing too liquidy or hard to clean up), that I'm willing to use for both - for the moment. And I haven't had any problem with my old teflon baking sheets. But to be safest, you'd want to use your own pan, because that's an IF that's almost impossible to be sure of.

wow-

this post is just another reminder of how many details there are to think of. and minutia was never my strong suit... I am learning lots of good lessons-

extreme cleanliness

patience

attention to detail

compassion

GRATITUDE

not to say I have these dialed, but I may be a perfect angel any day now...