This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross Contaminating With Utensils

marilyn

marilyn Apprentice

Good morning. I under stand that I cannot pick up wheat bread and gluten free bread with the same tongs. However, what about washing plates and utensils in the same dishwasher. Or if I cook a grilled sandwich on a grill and wash it can I use the same grill for gluten free cooking. This may sound odd but I have been told that dishes need to be kept separate.

Thanks for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

travelthomas Apprentice

A good working dish washer should be okay for washing dishes and utensils, from what I have heard. The grill is a definite no. Stay away from porous materials for cookware. Stainless steel is one of your best choices. Do NOT use Teflon coated cookware.

Keeping things separate is good. Wash your hands after touching anything contaminated with gluten, or the best thing is never to touch anything gluten. The hands are very porous and will hold the gluten in for a long time. You don

tarnalberry Community Regular

While I have read the same thing about teflon (don't use it for wheat and gluten-free), my personal experience hasn't shown a problem IF (and this is a HUGE IF) the pan is in perfect condition. This almost never happens, it means you can never touch the pan with something metal, you can't touch the pan with anything put a soft sponge, and that you can't store anything on top of the pan either. We have ONE pan, only ever used for pancakes (nothing too liquidy or hard to clean up), that I'm willing to use for both - for the moment. And I haven't had any problem with my old teflon baking sheets. But to be safest, you'd want to use your own pan, because that's an IF that's almost impossible to be sure of.

Guest Libbyk

wow-

this post is just another reminder of how many details there are to think of. and minutia was never my strong suit... I am learning lots of good lessons-

extreme cleanliness

patience

attention to detail

compassion

GRATITUDE

not to say I have these dialed, but I may be a perfect angel any day now...

Archived