12 replies to this topic

#1 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:10 PM

I've read in recipes that "Log Cabin" maple syrup is okay. What's the difference between the maple syrups?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dionnek

dionnek

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

I've read in recipes that "Log Cabin" maple syrup is okay. What's the difference between the maple syrups?

I have Aunt Jamima and the ingredient list looks ok. I was planning on having some gluten free pancakes tomorrow with it - I hope it's ok!

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

Some have, actaully many have gluten in them. If its 100% pure maple syrup it should be fine. Aslo if you have a kroger near you all Kroger storebrand maple syurps are gluten-free. I never check Log Cabin or Aunt Jamima but I think I read that only some of thier varities are safe.

- Vincent -

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Be careful--Log Cabin Syrups are NOT gluten-free, with the exception of their Log Cabin Country Kitchen Syrup. Aunt Jemima syrups are gluten-free.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Thanks so much! The recipe that I got the Log Cabin syrup from was a gluten-free recipe! Argh! I'm still very new at this so I have much to learn. Y'all's input was very helpful...I shall pick-up different maple syrup on my next shopping trip.

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:50 AM

I use real maple syrup, but I recently confirmed with Aldi's that their Aunt Maple's Original Syrup is gluten free.

#7 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

A lot of the "maple syrups" are maple flavored or contain some maple syrup in them. I prefer 100% maple syrup, which is gluten-free.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#8 mac3

mac3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

So is it the maple flavoring that is the gluten-culprit with maple syrups? If so, why?

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

The problem with the Log Cabin, in particular, is that they use barley in the processing.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Pure maple syrup is absolutely gluten-free, since is has only one ingredient: sap. Okay, that doesn't sound so good, but the sugar maple is tapped for its sap during the spring season when days are warm and nights are cold, which results in a high volume of sap which contains lots of sugar. It is boiled down to remove much of the water leaving the thick, sweet liquid.

Maple flavored syrup is an attempt to duplicate this. It uses various flavoring, sweetening and thickening agents, and many of these are potential gluten sources. It does not have to be the flavoring. Many flavored syrups are gluten-free, but you have to check. As Vincent said, Kroger house brand syrups are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

I think it does sound better to say I like pure maple syrup than I like tree sap!!

Here's a recipe that uses pure maple syrup, as usual, no measurements from me, sorry, I just pour! I make salad dressing with olive oil, maple syrup (about the same amount as the oil), a little less lemon juice, some chopped garlic, a little gluten-free mustard and salt. I make it right in the bottom of the salad bowl before I toss the lettuce into it. It makes even the pickiest eaters eat their salad!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#12 dish23

dish23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

I just bought Vermont Maid Syrup and it says Gluten free on the package. The only thing is, the ingredients list malt. I emailed the company to find out what's up.

#13 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

I hate to confess, I did kind of like the taste of all those fakey syrups--but one look at the ingredient list, and I will NEVER buy them again. They all use high-fructose corn syrup, which seems to leave me hungrier than when I started to eat, and makes me thirsty all day, and is just generally EVIL. I refuse to EVER feed them to my kids.

Luckily, I think real maple syrup does taste even better than fakey syrup. You can buy it quite inexpensively at Costco or Sam's Club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: