This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two-week Trip

mac3

mac3 Apprentice

We have a two week trip scheduled at the end of August. My daughter is gluten-free. It will take us about 3 days to arrive at our destination...along the way we stay with family and friends so we'll be staying in guestrooms on the road as well as when we reach our destination. I'm a little nervous as to:

1. how I'm going to pack enough food for my daughter to last the entire two weeks?

2. even if I have food, how will I ever prepare it in a strange, non-gluten free kitchen?

3. How do you travel on the road and grab fast food during the gas-stops without hurting my daughter's feelings. I don't expect her to munch on trail mix and peanut butter the entire time while the siblings munch on burgers. I can't afford enough gluten-free food for the entire family the entire two weeks.

We were suppose to go on a trip in just a couple of weeks but I don't think I'm ready for it yet! I'd like to see if we can survive a day-trip first!!! :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Maybe you can stock up on as much naturally gluten-free food as you can for the entire family. That way you won't be spending extra money to keep everyone gluten-free (by purchasing the specialty packaged food). You can pack enough food in a cooler for the three days it will take you to get there. Just keep adding new ice packs. Then get special gluten-free treats just for your daughter to have when everyone else gets to eat the burgers and stuff. You can also ask if some places will prepare bunless burgers for her.

When you get there you can find a grocery store to buy more food. That way you don't have to stock up for the entire two weeks. If you're cooking in a non gluten-free kitchen, just make sure to clean the pots and pans and everything really well. If you have access to a grocery store and a kitchen your trip should definitely be doable. Good luck!

Guest cassidy

At least you will have a car so you can bring stuff with you.

I would recommend a cooler and put yogurt, cheese (if she can have dairy), fruit, nuts and all sorts of gluten-free stuff in there.

You could make your own "tv dinners" by making a casserole and freezing it in meal-sized portions and microwaving them at different houses on your trip.

Then, you can find health food stores along the way to pick up other food as you travel. I go the Cascade Fresh and print a list of all the stores that sell their yogurt. This way I know I will either find a health food store or a grocery store with a lot of health foods. I was surprised how many grocery stores out west have a large health food section.

I'm sure she is used to eating food that is different from everyone else. If she has some favorites, maybe now is a good time to spoil her with gluten-free treats so she doesn't feel left out when others have burgers. You could also cook burgers at home and freeze them individually so you can just microwaver hers when the rest of the family has fast food. Many restuarants and grocery stores have microwaves and will let you use them. If her food is in saran wrap, it doesn't matter how clean the microwave is.

It will take some effort, but I don't think it will be too hard.

mac3 Apprentice

I know that there's a pretty good grocery store available once we get there but I'm not sure to what extent they go to as far as gluten-free food though. The frozen burger idea was great...I'll try that. That would be a great thing to try out on those overly long trips to town too...thanks. Someone just told me about a cooler that plugs into the cigarette lighter to keep it cold. Sounds like an investment to me!!

We tried the salad at Burger King (brought my daughter's own salad dressing packet) for her and she ended up with a stomach ache so I'm a little hesitant about eating "quickie-fast-food." I'm assuming it was the lettuce...?

Thanks for the assurance!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

"Battery Operated Coolers"

-- Those get me through road trips -- It costs a little bit, but my food stays cold the whole trip...I pack sandwiches, Amy's Mac N Cheese, Juice boxes, soda, Cottage Cheese, Yogurts, etc...

Green12 Enthusiast

I just got back from a road trip, although it wasn't as long as yours will be, and like the others said took all my own food in a cooler (the non-perishables in handle bags). I just kept repacking the cooler with fresh ice and it got the job done. I took all finger type foods, easy to prepare, for me and the family- cheese sticks, lots of fresh fruit like grapes and cut up melon, nuts, hard boiled eggs, tuna, and a jar of gluten free mayo to make up tuna salad or egg salad, baby carrots, and hummus. In the handle bags I had gluten free crackers and chips to dip with the hummus, and cookies for the sweet toothers.

CarlaB Enthusiast

For the times you do stop, you can get her chili and a Frosty at Wendy's. She probably won't complain about having a Frosty! Another safe stop is a grilled chicken salad and waffle fries at Chik-fil-a. If everyone else is getting junk food at a gas station, a lot of it is gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Here's the cooler I was talking about -- only $20!

Open Original Shared Link

Green12 Enthusiast
Here's the cooler I was talking about -- only $20!

Open Original Shared Link

broncobux,

Are you by chance a Denver Bronco fan? Just curious about your nickname

broncobux,

Are you by chance a Denver Bronco fan? Just curious about your nickname

Julie,

I am actually a Cincinnati Bengals fan, but my "hero" growing up was John Elway. I always held the Bengals as my #1 team, but I had posters of John up in my room and I always had his jersey.

I did not realize my "lack of love" for the Broncos until he retired -- it wasn't the same feeling after that. So yes and no...

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie,

I am actually a Cincinnati Bengals fan, but my "hero" growing up was John Elway. I always held the Bengals as my #1 team, but I had posters of John up in my room and I always had his jersey.

I did not realize my "lack of love" for the Broncos until he retired -- it wasn't the same feeling after that. So yes and no...

Ok cool, I thought maybe there was a Bronco connection. I live in Denver and John Elway was my childhood crush, had my walls pretty much plastered with his posters as well as with other Bronco stuff, like the Orange Crush and the 3 Amigos! I haven't been a Bronco fan for a while now though, the team really isn't the same, especially like you said without John and so many of the other 'regulars'.

mac3 Apprentice

Oh wow...great! We have a 3-day trip coming up in about a week so I'm busy taking notes. Y'all have been very helpful. I found more coolers at the Flying J website too...but they're more expensive. What about the salads at Wendy's?

Guest cassidy

I have a cooler that plugs in and I got it on Ebay very cheaply. My only complaint is that it is loud. It isn't that loud but if I have it on the floor in the front seat, it is distracting. Also, my car turns the power off when the car turns off, so if you are making long stops along the way and it is very hot, that may be a problem.

I use it for lunches and on the way home from the grocery store.

Green12 Enthusiast
Oh wow...great! We have a 3-day trip coming up in about a week so I'm busy taking notes. Y'all have been very helpful. I found more coolers at the Flying J website too...but they're more expensive. What about the salads at Wendy's?

mac3,

I don't know about the Wendy's, or anything eating out, but as far as packing a cooler I find that the easier to prepare items work best and are key. Also easy to grab/easy to eat- think finger foods, with not alot of fuss.

Have fun on your road trip.... I love road trips!!

mac3 Apprentice

I'm starting to feel a little more confident about our upcoming trip. thanks for all your input. I found another plug-in cooler at Wal-Mart but still...just another added expense. I think I'll see how this trip goes without one. I hadn't thought of them being loud. We have a suburban so I was thinking maybe I could stash it in the back.

Archived