This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

M&M's Candy

barilla

barilla Explorer

Does anyone know if M&M's milk chocolate candies are gluten free. I noticed on the ingredients it says Dextrin.

also, are the peanut M&M's gluten free.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

M&M's are my choice of desert. Enjoy.

Lisa

jerseyangel Proficient

The only M & M's that ever had gluten in them were the crispy ones--and I believe they have been discontinued. As Lisa said, enjoy! :D

Lisa Mentor

Patty,

You are always there to give uplifting comments to everyone. I'm glad that you are....always there. :)

Lisa

jerseyangel Proficient
Patty,

You are always there to give uplifting comments to everyone. I'm glad that you are....always there. :)

Lisa

What a sweet thing to say, Lisa. How did you know that was just what I needed to hear right about now? I'm glad that you're here! ;)

Lisa Mentor

Hope you're feeling ok. In about three weeks no one will hear from me. June 10 is the wedding date, so I will be having stress attachs in other places.

Keep on Patty, you do good work here and always make everyone feel better then when they posted.

xx00 Lisa

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Patti and Lisa,

Your both dear 'ones' on the forum.

We need you both.

and yes, i'm watching Grey's :lol: It's comercial time. :lol:

judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin
Patti and Lisa,

Your both dear 'ones' on the forum.

We need you both.

and yes, i'm watching Grey's :lol: It's comercial time. :lol:

judy

I agree and include you too Judy!!! :) You all three are a comfort/help to so many people on here!

barilla Explorer

Thanks so much for your help!! It's good to know I can still eat some M&M's!!!!

tiffjake Enthusiast
M&M's are my choice of desert. Enjoy.

Lisa

Ditto! My husband and I played poker with M&M's tonight. I ate my "chips" when I won!

mac3 Apprentice

I guess I'm confused...I thought Dextrin was on the "no-no list?" The last M & M's I looked at for my daughter have Dextrin listed boldly in the ingredients' listing. Do we know what kind of dextrin it is and that is why they are thought to be okay?

Lisa Mentor

Perhaps you were thinking of Maltdextrin....key word malt. (but not 100% possitive on that, so don't rely on my info)...No....... Maltdextrin is ok, but Malt is not. That was one of my early facts. After a year, sometimes I forget what I have learned and have to do it over again. Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive is truely my way of life.

I go through the Delfi List about once a week just to refresh myself or I get slack and make some mistakes.

I DO know that M& Ms are wonderfully gluten free, except for the crispy ones, as stated.

Lisa

mac3 Apprentice

Dextrin is listed in Bette Hagman's cookbooks as something to avoid...it can be made from rice, etc., so if it's not specified we are to assume that it's made from wheat. M&M's milk chocolate candies have dextrin listed clearly on the ingredients...I just bought these 2 days ago. So...who's right? Maltodextrin is made from cornstarch so I know that's safe. What's the delphi list?

mac3 Apprentice

My husband called the company. M&M's are NOT given in their list of gluten-free products.

penguin Community Regular

M&M's are definitely gluten-free, except for the crispy ones, which I don't think they even make anymore. There was a thread a while back about the m&m's not showing up on the phone gluten-free list, and there was some glitch or something.

Also, I'm pretty sure M&M's/Mars clearly lists gluten on the label.

LyndaK Rookie
Dextrin is listed in Bette Hagman's cookbooks as something to avoid...it can be made from rice, etc., so if it's not specified we are to assume that it's made from wheat. M&M's milk chocolate candies have dextrin listed clearly on the ingredients...I just bought these 2 days ago. So...who's right? Maltodextrin is made from cornstarch so I know that's safe. What's the delphi list?

So is the dextrin in M&Ms from rice? I'm allgeric to rice but LOVE M&Ms (actually all choc.).

Have a good day...

LyndaK

mac3 Apprentice

That's my question...what is the source of the dextrin in M&M's? Everyone is telling me that they're gluten-free but no one is giving me any factual information about the source of the dextrin listed on the ingredients. I'm not sure when I can ignore the ingredients' listing - like I'm told to do with the m&m's - and when I can't. I would think that if everyone can eat m&ms' without getting sick that the dextrin must be from corn or rice, etc., but not wheat. I just need concrete evidence before I can give them to my daughter without feeling guilty. I have a call in to the company (not just getting their gluten-free list of products that are given on a recording on the phone) asking them to confirm for sure whether m&m's are gluten free or not. Can anyone out there confirm the source of dextrin in m&m's?

flagbabyds Collaborator

I don't know the source, but i am deathly allergic to wheat and before the soy and corn came out i would never get sick from them, so i am positive they are not from wheat, not sure what the source is though.

mbg98 Contributor

I read somewhere they are gluten-free and since reading that I have had a bag a day of the peanut M&M's and have had no issues (other than weight gain)!

JenAnderson Rookie

I've also heard that M&M's are gluten-free. I eat about a bag a day and I have had no ill effects. Also I wanted to add that there is a new M&M. It's to promote the Pirates of the Carribbean movie and they're white chocolate M&M's. OMG they're heavenly!!! They only come out in the Large bag, but BOY are they worth it!

mac3 Apprentice

I finally got it...straight from the horse's mouth...!!! The dextrin in M&M's is derived from corn...so I can rest easy now in giving these to my daughter! Just thought I'd share! :D

LyndaK Rookie

Thank you so much for finding out that it is from corn. I didn't know what I was going to do if I had to quit eating M&M's. Yeah!!!!

Have a good day!

LyndaK

barilla Explorer

Yes, thank you very much for finding out the facts!!

• 3 years later...
srsssss Newbie

Either dextrin bothers "some" people or I am also lactose intolerant because M & M 's bother me every single time...

I am also irritated by "carmel color" such as that in some of the root beer's (barqs), dry roasted peanuts, maltodextrin in spices and many of the "gluten free" marked instant rice noodle soups.

I just ate some m&m's and i am suffering!!! ugh!

Just FYI...anyone else have that problem? I also break out in hives from touching any wheat/rye/barley/oats (products) and cannot be in the same room or smell range as something baking or a baking aisle in a grocery store because I start wheezing and getting a closed throat!

I have dermatitis herptaformairs too so I guess you could say I'm pretty easily irritated.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

cannot be in the same room or smell range as something baking or a baking aisle in a grocery store because I start wheezing and getting a closed throat!

I have dermatitis herptaformairs too so I guess you could say I'm pretty easily irritated.

It sounds like you also have an allergy to wheat in addition to celiac. I would talk to an allergist about this as you may want to get and carry an epi pen just in case.

Archived