This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Allergic To Carrots?

Ksmith

Ksmith Contributor

Hey everyone,

is anyone allergic or sensitive to carrots? I always get bloated/gassy after eating them, but perhaps it is just the roughage...any thoughts? Thanks

~K

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

is anyone allergic or sensitive to carrots? I always get bloated/gassy after eating them, but perhaps it is just the roughage...any thoughts? Thanks

~K

Good question.

I would assume anybody could be sensitive/intolerant to any food.

I have a big problem eating cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, or kale - they upset my stomach so much after eating them, very much like how you say you get after eating carrots, so I just stay away from them. I don't know if it's a fiber thing or if they are just hard to digest?

Sorry, I can't be more helpful. Maybe somebody else will know?

mommida Enthusiast

How strange, we were just talking about carrots today!!? My son seemed to have an intolerance to carrots. They would come right back up for the first introduction until he had been on the gluten free diet for about 2 years. He can now eat them raw. I don't know if that helps you. My opinion- If your gut is damaged you may have problems trying digest many foods.

L.

kabowman Explorer

I gave up carrots several months ago because of the digestive distress they were giving me. I guessed it was the in the raw form that was the problem but it could be all carrots. I don't eat too many cooked because they just don't taste right that way and can get mushy. Ewwww.

danikali Enthusiast

Just to but in here.....I thought I had an intolerance to carrots because I had major digestive problems after eating them.....but then I realized that it was what was ON the carrots that was bothering me. For example, if I buy organic carrots, peel them really well, and wash them in boiling hot water, then I'm fine with them raw or cooked. But if I get non-organic carrots, even the 'pre-washed' baby carrots (which I would now wash anyway even if they were organic) I would have problems. Why don't you try getting whole organic carrots, peel them and wash them really good, to test. Then if you STILL have a problem, maybe it's the actual carrot you're not ready for. But I would def. try this before you rule out carrots all together. They're a good healthy snack for someone who can't grab many things on the go.

Ksmith Contributor

Dani-

That is VERY interesting...because it always seemed that I'd get an upset stomach when I'd eat the baby carrots but never when I peeled them myself...I just thought I was nutty. I thought that maybe I would eat more of the baby ones at a time then the peeled carrots--which doen't make too much sense but I was trying to rationalize the situation. Huh...I am definately going to try this experiment. What do you think is on them that is upsetting to the stomach? Thanks so much!

~K

• 2 months later...
rogue Rookie

YES! Haha! I thought I was the only one (other than my brother). I noticed a few sensitivites to certain foods after removing the gluten factor and had some allergy testing done. I specifically requested the test for carrots and it came back positive. They make my throat itchy and give me gas and bloating. The nurse that was helping said she'd been an allergy nurse for 25 years and I was the first person she'd met with an allergy to carrots.

So nice to be unique :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...
GFinDC Veteran

Well, I just figured out that carrots are a no-no for me too. Darned if that wasn't a surprise. I am leaving them to Bugs Bunny from now on.

Archived