This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Im Going Crazzzzy!

DragonQueen

DragonQueen Explorer

Ive been gluten free/caesin free for 1 year and I pretty much hate it. I hate being different from everyone else at school. i hate looking at people eat a cupcake or a slice of cheesy pizza right in front of me. I JuSt WanNa Eat A cupcake! :wacko: I just really miss gluten and dairy. I know ive had symptoms and some have gotten better but I just wanna be eating normal food at school, I dont know what to do. Should I eat gluten again, I reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy miss it :rolleyes: !

*~_____ KK_____~*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

never eat gluten again!!!!!

You could very well develop other diseases that are far worse than celiac, like diabetes. I am casein free, but find that I can do a little w/ a lactaid, so i just get heartburn when i have casein, so I have started to put that back in my diet.

You should make some really yummy gluten-free treats that you can keep at school, and then just have those when you are tempted, and then feel like everyone else, just with my crumbly treat.

e-mail me or talk to me on IM if you want!

~molly

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You should try vegan recipes because they can be done gluten-free and are always dairy-free. I have had lots of good things! You can still make cupcakes, brownies, and pizza. I am personally am fine without having cheese on my pizza and use a vegan recipe for the crust. If you really want the food just try and try and try making it yourself until you get it right. Why eat the gluten ones and feel horrid just so you aren't different? Make food for you that you want and then you can be healthy and happy.

tarnalberry Community Regular

no, you shouldn't eat gluten again. but consider redefining 'normal' food. I serve my food to my friends when I invite them over all the time (I'm an adult, so I'm doing the cooking), and I'm Gluten-free Casein-free. Everyone loves my food, never complains about missing a thing, and asks for the recipes. Stir-fries, soups, stews, mexican food, chinese food, grilled stuff, etc. Redefining what is normal to you is kinda important, but it takes *months* to do that - at least. Think about any foreign kids at your school who come with culturally unique stuff their parents make - it's normal to them, but you guys probably think it's weird.

In the meantime, work on what substitutions you can. Make Gluten-free Casein-free brownies and muffins. Find fun recipes for new things your friends haven't tried - the vegan suggestion is a good one, actually. Some raw food recipes work great too. (There's a good raw food recipe for 'ranch dressing' made from raw cashews that's very tasty that uses no dairy or soy.)

eKatherine Rookie
...consider redefining 'normal' food.

Absolutely. We are surrounded by people who eat little but processed wheat products. This in no way is a normal or healthy diet. Humans were meant to eat a variety of whole foods. Eating almost exclusively wheat is a third world diet.

Mango04 Enthusiast
(There's a good raw food recipe for 'ranch dressing' made from raw cashews that's very tasty that uses no dairy or soy.)

I agree, the cashew ranch dresing is the best. I've put it on everything. It's even great on Tinkyada - makes a great gluten-free/CF creamy pasta. Don't give up Dragonqueen!!!!! :) Eating gluten again is not worth it!

Guhlia Rising Star

You might want to try the Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids cookbook by Sheri L. Sanderson. It has some amazing recipes like cookies, cakes, pies, breads, etc... It has a replacement for virtually everything you'll miss while on the gluten free diet, even pizza. It also has gluten-free/CF adjustments for casein intolerant people.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gabrielle Contributor

Have the strength to not harm your body like that. I still need to get use to gluten-free food and it is difficult but it is totally worth it!! Good luck!

key Contributor

Do you have to be dairy free?? Could you try reintroducing just small amounts? I can handle it in small to moderate amounts. Maybe since you have healed enough you could tolerate it. If you have an allergy to it, then that is out.

I understand your "pain". I have times when I feel so desperately hungry and deprived of regular food and then most of the time I am ok. I am vegetarian too, so it makes it a bit harder. Also it is hard when I feel really cruddy anyway, despite the gluten free diet.

Like others have said, finding subsitutes and mixing up your diet a bit can help. THat is a big thing for me. I grow weary of cooking for myself and family differently and then never being able to eat out at all is frustrating at times. I think you will find that you won't be able to eat gluten whether you want to or not. Being sick will outweigh your desire for it. THis is the way it is for me. Having inconclusive testing is hard. My tests were borderline, so I go into denial about every two months or so.

I can't imagine doing this diet in college. I don't know how to do that in a dorm. It would be extremely difficult.

Monica

lorka150 Collaborator

to be honest, you really just have to get over the frustrations, and learn how to make the food that you miss, so you can enjoy them.

DragonQueen Explorer

Thanx for the advice and support. Its just annoying when i eat lunch i feel different and uncomfortable that im eating a rice cake and everyon else is eating pizza and cupcakes. Normal food to a 12 yr old girl like me is pizza and burgers and stuff EVERYONE eats at school. I guess more than anything it wasnt missing the food its just that i feel so different and stupid around my friends.

This is the first time ive been depressed about the diet to this extreme. When I think about it iate out with my dad this past weekend and i probably got glutened, because some of the symptoms came back but i got more emotional than i usually do.

Ya Guhila thanx for the kids cookbook idea, i'll check it out.

Key, i cant introduce dairy just yet because theres still too much malabsorption. hopefuly in a year it will get better :D

lorka150 Collaborator

i understand your difficulty, as i was diagnosed as a 22 year old in my prime days of beer and wings.

make your own pizza, make your own burgers, bake brownies and cookies, and remember all the wonderful things you DO get to eat. be proud that you 'caught' this at an early age to avoid damage :)

if you want, i can help you with easy recipes. send me a pm, or we can connect via msn. my mission in life? to make others' lives extremely pleasing.

corinne Apprentice

It's no fun eating ricecakes while everyone is eating your favourites. It's a lot easier if you have things to eat like everyone else. If you or your parents make burgers or pizza for dinner, make some more so that you can take them for lunch (you can have both gluten free). You can make gluten free gooey brownies or cupcakes or find a chocolate bar you really like. That way you don't have to feel like you're eating different than everyone else.

Swingin' Celiac Newbie

I totally can relate to what your going through. It's not so much the food as it is the social principle behind it all. I recently had an emotional blow up after coming home from a school-related party. It was so frustrating because I hadn't had time to make something to bring that I could eat. I had to explain to like ten people why I wasn't eating. Coming home, my frustration kind of exploded into tears when my parents said they were going out to a restaurant (one that I couldn't eat at). Now I will admit that I like gluten free food, but I didn't want to make myself something knowing that I was being left out. I know it sounds very childish but sometimes our frustrations just slowly build until they burst. So then I felt really embarrassed when my mom cooked me something to make me feel better and then sat at the table with me while I ate before she and my dad when to dinner. Anyway, after that little explosion I felt a lot better from all the release of energy and realized that what was really bothering me wasn't the Celiac, it was my own irrational fear of being "different" from everyone else in not being able to what they are doing. It really helps to have similar substitutes with you (particularly the same food others are eating only in gluten free form). For instance, if you know there's going to be pizza and cake, bringing gluten-free pizza and gluten-free cake will help you feel more included (I know from experience). As far as lunch goes, I pretty much eat the same thing I always used to eat (e.g. pb&j, lunchmeat, carrots, apples, etc.). Although some of your friends might get cafeteria food on a regular basis (like some of mine) know that there are tons of non-Celiacs who normally bring their own lunches (and yes, even with rice cakes [i used to be one of them]). Anyway the most important thing I can advise you is to not label things or people as normal vs. gluten-free and normal does not equal anything that is not gluten-free. Most of all stay positive and realize that everyone has something they can't do, so your not alone

DragonQueen Explorer

hey thanx swingin celiac. That really helped alot. You seem to be going through the same stuff im going through. thanks for your support :) .

*~**~***___KK___***~**~*~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChloeB
Ive been gluten free/caesin free for 1 year and I pretty much hate it. I hate being different from everyone else at school. i hate looking at people eat a cupcake or a slice of cheesy pizza right in front of me. I JuSt WanNa Eat A cupcake! :wacko: I just really miss gluten and dairy. I know ive had symptoms and some have gotten better but I just wanna be eating normal food at school, I dont know what to do. Should I eat gluten again, I reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy miss it :rolleyes: !

*~_____ KK_____~*

I dont think you should eat gluten again becuase you could get like sick or something that would probably be because of the gluten! sorry! I know it is hard because none of my friends eat gluten free only I do ! they even offer me stuff I can't have , so I just deal with it I mean they even think the food I have is good by just looking at it!

sorry I know how you feel,

chloe!

Archived