Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Old El Paso

14 posts in this topic

Ok, I went on their site to find out what the ingredients were in their taco seasoning mix.

Well, from what I read, the Hard Taco "Kit" includes a seasoning packet which clearly indicates Wheat as an ingredient.

BUT, if you look at the ingrdients in the seasoning packet on it's own, it does NOT contain wheat.

Am I having brain fog here or am I right? :blink:

Here is the link, if you click on the different items, they show you a picture of the ingredient list.

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/bran...t.aspx?catID=72

Ads by Google:

I use the individual packet all the time. On your link, 4th ingredient from the end is wheat flour. The kit seasoning has 800 more ingredients that the individual packets (or so it seems).

I use old El Paso all the time with no problems -

I buy the hard and soft kit and just checked the link online -

on that ingredient list there is no wheat

I would find it hard to believe that they'd but a different seasoning mix in that kit -

the individual packets have no wheat listed either

I use it all the time without problems, but I think others are concerned about the MSG (not gluten, but not good either)

Thanks guys. I do usually make homeade ones and they are delicious!!!!

My husband said he wanted to make the package stuff tonight...I didn't ask why cause he's cooking and I don't have too :D

I use old El Paso all the time with no problems -

I buy the hard and soft kit and just checked the link online -

on that ingredient list there is no wheat

I would find it hard to believe that they'd but a different seasoning mix in that kit -

the individual packets have no wheat listed either

On the ingredient list of the Taco Kit (doesn't say soft or hard) on the seasoning mix 4th ingredient from last is the wheat flour that Francelajoie mentioned. On the link anyway.

Dinner tonight:

Not kit mix but individual packet (not in a kit) says. Old El Paso

Maltodextrin, Chili Pepper, Salt, Onion Powder, MSG, corn starch, garlic powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide, ethoxyquin. - no wheat flour in the seasoning mix (not in boxed).

Apparently, they are different. Confusing though. B)

Lisa

I posted about this before, as it confused me also....

The taco mix is gluten free. When you buy the whole package, the ingredients are listed in such a way that the wheat they are actually talking about is the wheat in the tortillas, but the way it's listed it's printed right under the taco mix ingredients......

They really should change it. I was not using it forever because reading the box, I had assumed it contained gluten.......

Karen

Good to have you back Karen

Lisa

I posted about this before, as it confused me also....

The taco mix is gluten free. When you buy the whole package, the ingredients are listed in such a way that the wheat they are actually talking about is the wheat in the tortillas, but the way it's listed it's printed right under the taco mix ingredients......

They really should change it. I was not using it forever because reading the box, I had assumed it contained gluten.......

Karen

Karen, check the ingredients on the kit. It divides up the lists and the dinner kit says: Taco Seasoning Mix: blah blah blah, wheat flour, blah blah blah...it's the fourth last ingredient. Taco shell: corn flour, water, whatever. Salsa: Tomatoes, whatever, more stuff, etc. This is for the item that comes up on the link provided that says Taco Kit.

I know that you're very sensitive, so I want you to make doubly sure. The ingredients may very well be different in Canada, but on that link the taco mix and the taco KIT mix are quite different. (I assume it's an American site)

...and welcome back.

Hi Linda!

I checked out a package of the taco mix alone at the supermarket, and on that ingredient list, there is no wheat. That's how I finally figured out that it was okay.

p.s. Thanks for thinking of me! How is your dog doing?

Oh, and Lisa, I am kinda "popping" in and out! Hope all is well with you and wedding plans are running smoothly!

Hugs.

Karen

Hi Linda!

How is your dog doing?

He's good. We're still finishing our giant bag of food, and he still gets milk bones (made by Kraft :o so they clearly indicate wheat) but he hasn't vomited in a while. He's good for a while and then he'll vomit or hack for 3 days and then doesn't happen again for a couple of months. He has seizures once in a while, too, but his blood work came back negative for epilepsy. He has those about every 6 - 8 weeks, but can't track it to the moon, or 30 min after eating or whatever. Like the vomiting, it seems completely random. :blink: I'm sure the vet will think I'm insane if I mention gluten. Actually, if I get the right one (there are 3) he'll take it seriously.

Thanks for asking.

Have a great day!

Isn't maltodextrin something we Celiac's have to watch out for? I don't know that my taco mix was Old El Paso but I really reacted from it and thought it was from maltodextrin.

Maltodextrin is gluten-free in Canada and the United States, unless specifically declared to be from a gluten source. If if just says maltodextrin, then it is gluten-free, and almost certainly corn based. Old El Paso is a General Mills brand, and will clearly disclose all gluten sources on the label. If you had a reaction, it could be something other than gluten (consider MSG as a possibility).