- - - - -

Chinese Food Recipes

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:09 AM

Does anyone have any great Chinese food recipes? I have been looking everywhere and cannot find any. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

I have my Chinese cookbooks and recipes and just use them substituting gluten-free soy sauce and gluten-free teriyaki sauce. Some recipes I can't make as they call for gluten ingredients but Pepper Steak, Beef and Broccoli, and some like that are fine. I need to find a way to make Kung Pao Chicken though as my recipe calls for Black Bean Sauce, Chili Paste and Hoison sauce which all have gluten. I'm scared to death to go to a Chinese restaurant now, so I bought the short grain rice and an electric wok and am having fun. You must keep a positive attitude and look on the bright side. (Think of how much less fat and sodium in the meals you make yourself!) But it is hard!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:31 AM

Aside from black bean sauce, I've had no real problems substituting gluten-free ingredients in Chinese recipes.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:40 AM

gluten-free Doc has posted some good asian recipes in our recipe section. She posted Egg Rolls and Kung Pow Chicken and some others..you can find them here:

http://www.glutenfre...p?showtopic=887
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:11 AM

Most Chinese recipes calling for noodles can easily, and un-noticably be substituted with rice flour or tapioca noodles, which can also be found in Asian markets.

The gluten-free pantry on-line store has some gluten-free Hoisin sauce and for chili paste you can use Sambal.... I am almost sure its' gluten-free, but it's really, really spicy. I use it for soups sometimes to give it a kick, and for a gallon of soup, I only use about 1 tsp of the sambal. As far as the black bean paste goes, my mother in law has made her own, but I think it's rather time consuming because it has to ferment for a while, but my husband says that you can buy the fermented black beans, then pound them down yourself and add the garlic to your liking. I would assume you could only buy these at fairly large Asian markets though.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: