This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

NestlÉ Toll House Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels

fanny

jerseyangel Proficient

Armetta--I'm sensitive to soy but find that the lecithan and the oil don't bother me. It's the soy milk, protein and flour that I can't take. I really don't like using the Crisco, because of the soy, and also because it's hydrogenated. When I use it up, that's it. It makes things taste good, but it's not all that healthy--IMO! Oh, when you make the cookies, leave them on the baking sheet a few minutes, because they're really tender. They hold together well after they cool.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mouse Enthusiast

Thank you for telling me to leave them on the baking sheet. All I am doing is eating healthy and at my age I can use a little unhealthy. Just kidding. I have not baked from scratch since my diagnosis and am so looking forward to making these. If they don't turn out, I will bawl.

VydorScope Proficient
Mine weren't gummy at all--kind of a light, tender texture. Of course, I used an egg--that could have made the difference. I didn't use butter, either--I used Crisco. Normally, I would have used Spectrum Shortening, but I'm almost out and have not gotten to Whole Foods for a while. I thought about using my Smart Balance margarine, but was afraid it would make them spread out too much. I might still try it sometime. If I do, I'll use a bit less.

Yea. I think the egg was prbly the issue, but that cant be helped. The Flax Oil margin I used was smart balance, I think next time I will use crisco since we never have butter around. The flax oil stuff is a much different consitancey then the regular smart balance and I was worried about it. In fact I woudl say the criso is prbly better choice then the even the regular smart blance. But I cook with what I have, not what I think will work. :D

dionnek Enthusiast

ok - reading this got me craving (just came back from a pool party/luau where everyone was eating all kinds of goodies and I couldn't eat A THING!). I tried the tollhouse recipe here and they are flat as a pancake and all run together. No problem though since I like the dough the best anyway :)

VydorScope Proficient

Welp, I think they have at least ONE fan...

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Whacha ya think? LOL

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh my God Vincent--that precious little face eating his cookies! Looks like you should leave your recipe just the way it is :D

ok - reading this got me craving (just came back from a pool party/luau where everyone was eating all kinds of goodies and I couldn't eat A THING!). I tried the tollhouse recipe here and they are flat as a pancake and all run together. No problem though since I like the dough the best anyway :)

Did you use the butter? When I used to use butter for baking, I always noticed that it made cookies spread out on the sheet too much, and come out too flat. I hate to say it, (because it's not the healthiest choice) but I think solid shortening works best. Glad you enjoyed the dough, anyway! :D

mouse Enthusiast

Vincent, you could not have done too bad of a job with the cookies. He is actually holding a cookie - not a crumb :lol: . He is so beautiful. I love to look at the photo's you attach.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out why y'all get flat cookies. I use real butter, egg or substitute and follow the regular recipe with my gluten-free flour and they turn out just like "normal". In fact, I made them today for my son's baseball team snack, using Sunspire Sundrops instead of chocolate chips. The kids all scarfed them down without a complaint. Are you all following the recipe that calls for potato starch or the regular recipe with gluten-free flour?

VydorScope Proficient
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out why y'all get flat cookies. I use real butter, egg or substitute and follow the regular recipe with my gluten-free flour and they turn out just like "normal". In fact, I made them today for my son's baseball team snack, using Sunspire Sundrops instead of chocolate chips. The kids all scarfed them down without a complaint. Are you all following the recipe that calls for potato starch or the regular recipe with gluten-free flour?

Falt cookies come most often from either greasing your pans, or using non-stick cookware.

dionnek Enthusiast

I used the potato starch recipe and margarine sticks (not real butter) - do you just use gluten-free flour (instead of potatoe starch) in the normal recipe and not change anything else?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

vincent & patti

I've just scaned the thread..do the toll house c/chip have the soy or just the soy lethicin in it.

Pamelas, does it have soy.

don't think the recipe V printed at first has soy, right.

judy in philly

VydorScope Proficient
vincent & patti

I've just scaned the thread..do the toll house c/chip have the soy or just the soy lethicin in it.

Pamelas, does it have soy.

don't think the recipe V printed at first has soy, right.

judy in philly

The recipe does not have any soy in it, but what ever cholate chips you use might so you will have to check them. I do not have the Toll House Bag in front of me to see if hte toll house chips have soy, but I know the Enjoy Life Chololate chips do not have soy so you can use them instead.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Liz--I used the potato starch recipe because I can't tolerate grains, period, anymore. That's why I was so happy to see that recipe that used no grains at all. The potato starch is so fine and soft, that if I could use a regular gluten-free flour or a mixture, I would. But I plan on making them again this way since mine came out fine.

Hey Judy--I used the Nestle's Semi Sweet Choco. Chips. They do have soy lethicin in them. :)

Cheri A Contributor

I also had a hard time w/cookies coming out flat and crumbly when using margarine and subbing for egg.

I found a slightly different recipe that had gelatin in it, used Ener-G egg replacer and Spectrum Shortening instead and they turned out great! The recipe belongs to someone else, but I'd be glad to PM to anyone that wants it.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Cheri :) --The next time I make these, I would rather use Spectrum than Crisco--what do you think? I have always found that using butter or margarine make my cookies too flat and crunchy. Not bad, but I just prefer chewy.

VydorScope Proficient
Hi Cheri :) --The next time I make these, I would rather use Spectrum than Crisco--what do you think? I have always found that using butter or margarine make my cookies too flat and crunchy. Not bad, but I just prefer chewy.

Try it! What can it hurt? :D

mouse Enthusiast

Thank you everybody for the cookie advice. I used Crisco and parchment paper. I also let them set a couple of minutes before I transfer'd them to my cooling rack. They are awesome. I can't believe that I am eating chocolate chip cookies. My family really liked them. The only thing I changed was add a cup and a half of chips instead of the one cup. Everyone loves the chips, but they know they only get a couple as I am trying to put 2 1/2 pounds back on. Thank you for all the good cooking advice.

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Armetta--I'm SO glad they turned out well for you! I know what you mean about everybody else wanting to eat them on you--I'm like "you all can have anything else you want, I get these!" :D (Not really, I do share ;) )

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Cool! Let me know what you think. (PS: 5 days till NYC! : )

Oh nice!!! We should try and meet up when you're here!

VydorScope Proficient
The only thing I changed was add a cup and a half of chips instead of the one cup.

hehe IM soooo guilty of that too. :D I mean, realy, who thinks the recipe calls for the right amount of chips? LOL Okay fine... so I poured the entire big bag in... :D

mouse Enthusiast

Hey Vincent, I could not throw the whole bag in as I had bought one of those gigantic ones at Cosco. LOL>

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, I made a batch today and used the Spectrum Organic Shortening. They came out exactly the same as the ones I made with Crisco. Just thought I'd update :D

lonewolf Collaborator
I used the potato starch recipe and margarine sticks (not real butter) - do you just use gluten-free flour (instead of potatoe starch) in the normal recipe and not change anything else?

Yes, I use the Bette Hagman gluten-free flour recipe. 3 C br. rice flour, 1 c potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. I sift it 3 times, then put it in a container to store in the fridge.

To make the cookies, I just follow the recipe on the back of the bag, substituting the flour. I substitute eggs usually too, and still don't get flat cookies.

VydorScope Proficient
Yes, I use the Bette Hagman gluten-free flour recipe. 3 C br. rice flour, 1 c potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. I sift it 3 times, then put it in a container to store in the fridge.

To make the cookies, I just follow the recipe on the back of the bag, substituting the flour. I substitute eggs usually too, and still don't get flat cookies.

What egg sub did you use? I tried te geltin one this time, and I think thats why mine are a bit gummy.

Cheri A Contributor

Patti ~ glad that it worked the same w/the Spectrum ~ I love that stuff ~

Vincent ~ sorry your cookies came out gummy...I think my recipe used Ener G egg replacer.

Now I'm in the mood for chocolate chip cookies ~ will have to make some later!

Archived