66 replies to this topic

#46 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hey Vincent, I could not throw the whole bag in as I had bought one of those gigantic ones at Cosco. LOL>
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Well, I made a batch today and used the Spectrum Organic Shortening. They came out exactly the same as the ones I made with Crisco. Just thought I'd update :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#48 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

I used the potato starch recipe and margarine sticks (not real butter) - do you just use gluten-free flour (instead of potatoe starch) in the normal recipe and not change anything else?

Yes, I use the Bette Hagman gluten-free flour recipe. 3 C br. rice flour, 1 c potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. I sift it 3 times, then put it in a container to store in the fridge.

To make the cookies, I just follow the recipe on the back of the bag, substituting the flour. I substitute eggs usually too, and still don't get flat cookies.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#49 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:35 PM

Yes, I use the Bette Hagman gluten-free flour recipe. 3 C br. rice flour, 1 c potato starch, 1/2 C tapioca starch and 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. I sift it 3 times, then put it in a container to store in the fridge.

To make the cookies, I just follow the recipe on the back of the bag, substituting the flour. I substitute eggs usually too, and still don't get flat cookies.

What egg sub did you use? I tried te geltin one this time, and I think thats why mine are a bit gummy.

- Vincent -

#50 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:53 AM

Patti ~ glad that it worked the same w/the Spectrum ~ I love that stuff ~

Vincent ~ sorry your cookies came out gummy...I think my recipe used Ener G egg replacer.

Now I'm in the mood for chocolate chip cookies ~ will have to make some later!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#51 Lane R

Lane R

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

Nestle SemiSweet is Gluten free. And they even have a gluten-free version of their famous cookie recepie, some one posted it not long ago, I will try to find it and copy it over for you.....

EDIT: here foudn it...

OMG! This is fantastic! I make these cookies for my family and they LOVE them...Now I can make them again!
Lane

+Wheat-free since May 21st, 2006.
+Allergic to Thiuram, Carba Mix, p-Phenylenediamine, Trees, Grasses, Molds, Cats & Dogs
+Positive dietary results.

"A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from
his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket."
-Charles Peguy, poet and essayist (1873-1914)

#52 nocommente

nocommente

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:25 AM

This is a terrific recipe! I made these with Tapicoa flour, since I can't have potato. I put in extra flour until the dough was thick enough.

I also used Crisco. The first batch turned out great. The next batch tasted good, but they were very flat.

I'm not a careful measure-er, and I suspect the amount of shortening or butter is to blame. Those of you with flat cookies might try using less butter.

Slick pans also make cookies flatter. Even if the cookie sheet isn't non-stick, it may still have a very slick surface. I'm going to try making a batch on wax paper to see how that works.

#53 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

This is a terrific recipe! I made these with Tapicoa flour, since I can't have potato. I put in extra flour until the dough was thick enough.

I also used Crisco. The first batch turned out great. The next batch tasted good, but they were very flat.

I'm not a careful measure-er, and I suspect the amount of shortening or butter is to blame. Those of you with flat cookies might try using less butter.

Slick pans also make cookies flatter. Even if the cookie sheet isn't non-stick, it may still have a very slick surface. I'm going to try making a batch on wax paper to see how that works.

Don't use wax paper because the wax melts off of it and ruins both your cookies and your cookie sheet. Use parchment paper instead, it's coated in silicone which does not melt.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#54 nocommente

nocommente

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the tip. I won't use wax paper. However, is parchment paper a "non-stick" type surface? I'm trying to keep the cookies from spreading.

#55 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the tip. I won't use wax paper. However, is parchment paper a "non-stick" type surface? I'm trying to keep the cookies from spreading.

Yes. I've always used it for baking cookies with excellent results. It's also really handy because you can "stage" your batches and not have to wait for your cookies to come out and cool before setting up another pan.

#56 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

What egg sub did you use? I tried te geltin one this time, and I think thats why mine are a bit gummy.

Gelatin doesn't work well in cookies. I know your wife will cringe at the thought, but try some ground flax meal (about 1 Tbs.) mixed in 3 Tbs. water, mixed in with the sugar. Then also use the egg replacer. This will make them stick together and puff that little bit. I also usually use 1/3 C of almond butter, but I think you try to stay nut free.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#57 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:19 PM

Gelatin doesn't work well in cookies. I know your wife will cringe at the thought, but try some ground flax meal (about 1 Tbs.) mixed in 3 Tbs. water, mixed in with the sugar. Then also use the egg replacer. This will make them stick together and puff that little bit. I also usually use 1/3 C of almond butter, but I think you try to stay nut free.

Egg replacer? You mean that Ener-G stuff? Never bought it...

- Vincent -

#58 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

Just reactivating the thread for ajay as I did not know how to cut and paste it to a reply :lol: . Probably someone else will want the recipe anyway PLUS all the cooking tips.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#59 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

Egg replacer? You mean that Ener-G stuff? Never bought it...

You can use Ener-G or another replacement that has baking powder in it. The point is that for cookies you need both qualities of eggs - the stick-together factor and the puffing-up factor.
Liz

#60 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

For the people who do not yet know:

The Gospel of Parchment Paper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: