This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

NestlÉ Toll House Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels

fanny

fanny Apprentice

I'm trying to bake chocolate chip cookies but I don't know is I could use tha morsel that i used before celiac.

if anyone can help that will be great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

Nestle SemiSweet is Gluten free. And they even have a gluten-free version of their famous cookie recepie, some one posted it not long ago, I will try to find it and copy it over for you.....

EDIT: here foudn it...

Wheat-Free Toll House Cookies (Gluten-Free)

(Makes 50 two-inch cookies)

Ingredients:

1 c plus 2 Tbsp. potato starch

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

10 Tbsp. butter, softened

6 Tbsp. sugar

6 Tbsp. firmly-packed dark brown sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 egg

6-oz pkg. (1 c) semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1/2 c chopped nuts

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 F. In small bowl, combine potato starch, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract; beat until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually add potato starch mixture. Stir in Nestlé Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 F. for 8 to 10 minutes.

fanny Apprentice
Nestle SemiSweet is Gluten free. And they even have a gluten-free version of their famous cookie recepie, some one posted it not long ago, I will try to find it and copy it over for you.....

EDIT: here foudn it...

thanks so much. I'll have cookies tonight.

jenvan Collaborator

I use the original toll house recipe with my gluten-free cookies--I just sub my flour blend 1:1 ratio. They are good :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Hey Vincent--Thanks!!!! That cookie recipe has no grain--just potato starch. Perfect for me :D

fanny Apprentice
I use the original toll house recipe with my gluten-free cookies--I just sub my flour blend 1:1 ratio. They are good :)

i'm using the pamela's backing mix.

VydorScope Proficient
i'm using the pamela's backing mix.

Yes tahts a very good mix :D

Hey Vincent--Thanks!!!! That cookie recipe has no grain--just potato starch. Perfect for me :D

Some one in the archives fo this boared emailed NEstle and they sent that recipe... I forget who, but a search on Nestle under this seciton brings it up. So cant take credit for it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, I never would have seen it if you hadn't posted it so you're stuck with the credit :lol:

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Do you add xanthum gum to it at all? I tried that once and while they tasted great I had to scrape them off the pan because they just flatened into one big cookie.

(This was my first baking attempt and before I'd ever heard of xanthum gum).

jenvan Collaborator
Do you add xanthum gum to it at all? I tried that once and while they tasted great I had to scrape them off the pan because they just flatened into one big cookie.

(This was my first baking attempt and before I'd ever heard of xanthum gum).

No, the mix I use already has xanthan gum in it. I've had great success with any recipe I've subbed the flour in. The mix is Authentic Foods Mult-Flour. Go here and scroll down to the last one on the page: Open Original Shared Link Sorry about those cookies! I think that happened to my 1st ones too :( I like this mix b/c I prefer to use the old recipes I've been using, rather than a new one made to be gluten-free. I sub this flour in a 1:1 ratio and its worked great in the cookies and banana bread I've tried.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
No, the mix I use already has xanthan gum in it. I've had great success with any recipe I've subbed the flour in. The mix is Authentic Foods Mult-Flour. Go here and scroll down to the last one on the page: Open Original Shared Link Sorry about those cookies! I think that happened to my 1st ones too :( I like this mix b/c I prefer to use the old recipes I've been using, rather than a new one made to be gluten-free. I sub this flour in a 1:1 ratio and its worked great in the cookies and banana bread I've tried.

Thanks Jen!!! You are the 2nd person in a week to tell me about Authentic Foods. I'm definately gonna have to get this.

jenvan Collaborator
Thanks Jen!!! You are the 2nd person in a week to tell me about Authentic Foods. I'm definately gonna have to get this.

Cool! Let me know what you think. (PS: 5 days till NYC! : )

jerseyangel Proficient

Today, I made the gluten-free Nestle Cookie recipe that Vincent found--they are very good! The texture is lighter, but they taste just like toll house cookies. I had all but given up finding a recipe that didn't call for a grain flour. This one is good. :D

jenvan Collaborator
Today, I made the gluten-free Nestle Cookie recipe that Vincent found--they are very good! The texture is lighter, but they taste just like toll house cookies. I had all but given up finding a recipe that didn't call for a grain flour. This one is good. :D

Happy for you! :D

VydorScope Proficient

OKay , good now I will try it then :D

pixiegirl Enthusiast

LOL you let someone else be the guinea pig for the cookie recipe!!

:P

Susan

VydorScope Proficient
LOL you let someone else be the guinea pig for the cookie recipe!!

:P

Susan

Who me? *looks innocent*

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, for Mr. Innocent, and everyone else--the cookies were so good even my non gluten-free husband liked them. I bought some more potato starch today while I was out so I could make more this week--they're almost gone :ph34r::D

dyepretty Newbie

Tropical Source gluten and dairy free chips are the best.

They are semi-sweet, and sweetened with cane juice.

They care about the cocoa farmers they work with, and are dedicated to fair labor practices.

They make lovely chocolate bars too, and are found at your local co-op or health food store.

Dye

mouse Enthusiast

I just went to the store and bought potato starch. Is that the same as potato starch flour? I bought Bob's Red Mill as I did not want to drive all the way to the health food store. I want to make cookies tomorrow with the Toll House recipe. Thanks.

jerseyangel Proficient
I just went to the store and bought potato starch. Is that the same as potato starch flour? I bought Bob's Red Mill as I did not want to drive all the way to the health food store. I want to make cookies tomorrow with the Toll House recipe. Thanks.

Armetta--Yes, potato starch and potato starch flour are the same thing. Good luck with the cookies :)

VydorScope Proficient
Armetta--Yes, potato starch and potato starch flour are the same thing. Good luck with the cookies :)

Falvor is good but they are a bit gummy. I of couse had to sub on the egg, and did not have any butter so used flax oil margin.

mouse Enthusiast

Will I am going to use the egg, but not the butter. I plan on using my marg. My corn allergy is thru the roof, but I was reading on another thread link here, that if you are allergic to the corn protein, then you can have the oil (my marg is made from corn oil). I am hoping I am allergic to the protein as I am allergic to the milk protein - casein. Boy, am I a gambler, he he. I will find out, won't I. :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
Falvor is good but they are a bit gummy. I of couse had to sub on the egg, and did not have any butter so used flax oil margin.

Mine weren't gummy at all--kind of a light, tender texture. Of course, I used an egg--that could have made the difference. I didn't use butter, either--I used Crisco. Normally, I would have used Spectrum Shortening, but I'm almost out and have not gotten to Whole Foods for a while. I thought about using my Smart Balance margarine, but was afraid it would make them spread out too much. I might still try it sometime. If I do, I'll use a bit less.

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks Jerseyangel. I did not think of Crisco. It says soy on it and that (at the moment) is one of my lesser allergies. I have avoided anything with soy for a long time, except when I go to PF Changs and that is probably why it has not gotten as bad as the corn. Until this happened, I never realized the things that have corn in them. Gluten free is a cinch compared to this other corn junk. I can't wait to make these cookies. Have nothing doing tomorrow and so am going to expend my limited energy making wonderful cookies.

Archived