This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

NestlÉ Toll House Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels

fanny

Lane R Rookie
Nestle SemiSweet is Gluten free. And they even have a gluten-free version of their famous cookie recepie, some one posted it not long ago, I will try to find it and copy it over for you.....

EDIT: here foudn it...

OMG! This is fantastic! I make these cookies for my family and they LOVE them...Now I can make them again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nocommente Rookie

This is a terrific recipe! I made these with Tapicoa flour, since I can't have potato. I put in extra flour until the dough was thick enough.

I also used Crisco. The first batch turned out great. The next batch tasted good, but they were very flat.

I'm not a careful measure-er, and I suspect the amount of shortening or butter is to blame. Those of you with flat cookies might try using less butter.

Slick pans also make cookies flatter. Even if the cookie sheet isn't non-stick, it may still have a very slick surface. I'm going to try making a batch on wax paper to see how that works.

penguin Community Regular
This is a terrific recipe! I made these with Tapicoa flour, since I can't have potato. I put in extra flour until the dough was thick enough.

I also used Crisco. The first batch turned out great. The next batch tasted good, but they were very flat.

I'm not a careful measure-er, and I suspect the amount of shortening or butter is to blame. Those of you with flat cookies might try using less butter.

Slick pans also make cookies flatter. Even if the cookie sheet isn't non-stick, it may still have a very slick surface. I'm going to try making a batch on wax paper to see how that works.

Don't use wax paper because the wax melts off of it and ruins both your cookies and your cookie sheet. Use parchment paper instead, it's coated in silicone which does not melt.

nocommente Rookie

Thanks for the tip. I won't use wax paper. However, is parchment paper a "non-stick" type surface? I'm trying to keep the cookies from spreading.

Thanks for the tip. I won't use wax paper. However, is parchment paper a "non-stick" type surface? I'm trying to keep the cookies from spreading.

Yes. I've always used it for baking cookies with excellent results. It's also really handy because you can "stage" your batches and not have to wait for your cookies to come out and cool before setting up another pan.

lonewolf Collaborator
What egg sub did you use? I tried te geltin one this time, and I think thats why mine are a bit gummy.

Gelatin doesn't work well in cookies. I know your wife will cringe at the thought, but try some ground flax meal (about 1 Tbs.) mixed in 3 Tbs. water, mixed in with the sugar. Then also use the egg replacer. This will make them stick together and puff that little bit. I also usually use 1/3 C of almond butter, but I think you try to stay nut free.

VydorScope Proficient
Gelatin doesn't work well in cookies. I know your wife will cringe at the thought, but try some ground flax meal (about 1 Tbs.) mixed in 3 Tbs. water, mixed in with the sugar. Then also use the egg replacer. This will make them stick together and puff that little bit. I also usually use 1/3 C of almond butter, but I think you try to stay nut free.

Egg replacer? You mean that Ener-G stuff? Never bought it...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

Just reactivating the thread for ajay as I did not know how to cut and paste it to a reply :lol: . Probably someone else will want the recipe anyway PLUS all the cooking tips.

lonewolf Collaborator
Egg replacer? You mean that Ener-G stuff? Never bought it...

You can use Ener-G or another replacement that has baking powder in it. The point is that for cookies you need both qualities of eggs - the stick-together factor and the puffing-up factor.

For the people who do not yet know:

Open Original Shared Link

VydorScope Proficient
You can use Ener-G or another replacement that has baking powder in it. The point is that for cookies you need both qualities of eggs - the stick-together factor and the puffing-up factor.

AH, I often use, 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder per egg. The geletion was an expiremtn. Thats what I did with the last batch I mande (used GFP mix that time) and they came out much better, just a bit dry.

Babs83 Rookie

I tried this recipe last night and mine came out flat also! I was very disappointed, but we ate the dough. That's the best part.

jerseyangel Proficient
I tried this recipe last night and mine came out flat also! I was very disappointed, but we ate the dough. That's the best part.

If you can do it, try using shortening, and reduce the amount to 1/2 cup. I've made this recipe 4 times now, and this last batch was the best yet. In addition to reducing the shortening, I also tweaked the sugars--I use 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 4 tbsp. of sugar. I use Ener-g Potato Starch and more chocolate chips than the recipe calls for. I bake for exactly 8 minutes. Delicious :D

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Dude, mine came out completely flat too!! It was like the potato starch disappeared and the butter and sugar just carmelized!

I'm wondering if there's a difference between gas and electric stoves...

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh no! I feel kind of bad telling everyone how much I like these--I've made them 4 times now, and have had no problems. I have a gas oven, if that makes any difference.

mouse Enthusiast

Well I USED Patti's tweaking of the Toll House recipe and ADDED a few tweaks of my own. I have an electric oven. I added one extra level Tbl of the potato starch and an extra tiny pinch of the baking soda. I also baked mine for 9 minutes, but that is in MY oven. I would try 8 mins first and then decide. I also found that I could only use one cookie sheet at a time centered in the oven. When I did two, some of the outer cookies carmelized and flattened. I also use parchment paper, which I reuse for the next batch. I use a melon baller for uniform cookies. These turned out FANTASTIC and looked an tasted like regular Choc. Chip cookies. They even raised. One of my gluten eaters said they looked and tasted like the regular ones and sure did beat my other 2 batches LOL. Hope this helps anyone with an electric oven. Also don't forget to use Patti's advice to let cool on the cookie sheat before moving to a cooling rack. I just slide the parchment paper and cookies off and start the next batch. Oh, I forgot to mention, that I let the cookie sheet cool before I put more on as that way they don't start to melt. I use two cookie sheets and one has time to cool before I use it.

• 2 weeks later...
AndreaB Contributor
Tropical Source gluten and dairy free chips are the best.

They are semi-sweet, and sweetened with cane juice.

They care about the cocoa farmers they work with, and are dedicated to fair labor practices.

They make lovely chocolate bars too, and are found at your local co-op or health food store.

Dye

Are these soy free. It seems chips have soy lecithin in them. I've found enjoy life chips recently and they don't have soy lecithin in them.

Archived