This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are My Children At Risk

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

just been diagnosed with lactos and gluten intolerance. VERY confused, im told that it can be genetic, what does this mean for my children, i have 3 boys all whom love milkand cheese etc.they seem fine but are there any early warning signs that i can keep an eye out for. M y other concern is that im training for a marathon and have run for quite some time so naturally am concerned of the threat of osteoperosis(spelling?) My doctor has said she wants me to take calcium but what type should i take? where do i get it from that doesnt contain lactose? Im allready amemic and feel quite low with a severe case of thrush that ive had for 2 weeks but wont go away, feel at a loss. its only been 3 days since my diagnoses so early days i knthanow but if someone can put me on the right track ide be very much abliged. Thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

lactose intolerance is genetic, but many, many, many people have it, and increasingly so as they get older. it just means that you don't produce the enzyme to break down milk sugar, and does NOT mean that you have to avoid dairy. if it's not severe, you can eat low-lactose dairy items (like hard cheeses and yogurt) or take lactase (the enzyme that breaks down the sugar, available OTC as Lactaid or the like). it doesn't cause you any harm, just bloating and gas when the sugar is broken down by bacteria in the intestines farther along the digestive tract.

celiac disease is also genetic, but it must be triggered as well. if you have more than one gene, you likely passed on one of them to your children, but besides having the gene, there must be an environmental trigger for it to become 'active'. it is, however, worth having them tested. (approximately 5% of first degree relatives of a celiac also have the condition themselves.) don't worry too much, however, as maintaining a strictly gluten free diet is all you need to do to stay healthy with celiac diease. (it's both harder and easier than it sounds... :huh: )

what type of anemia do you have? that would determine what type of supplementation you would need for that.

as for the concern of osteoporosis, you'd want a good calcium supplement (calcium citrate is most readily absorbed) with plenty of vit D, AND magnesium, which may be more important for celiacs than the calcium, for bone health. I use one by Rainbow Light, myself, which provides a 2:1 ratio for the calcium and magnesium.

keep reading the board, and keep asking questions. you'll find a lot of helpful information on the gluten free diet, easy recipes, store-available products, cross-contamination issues, how to eat out successfully, and so on.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi, and welcome to this board. I would suggest your doctor test you for deficiencies, before supplementing with anything. It's much better to take exactly what your body needs.

You should get a bone density scan, to check for osteoporosis or the early stages of it. Also, your ferritin and hemoglobin should be checked, to see how anemic you are, and if just iron supplements are enough, or you need more drastic and faster acting measures (like iron injections or a transfusion). Also checking calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and K and potassium are a good idea (if I am forgetting something, somebody else supplement the information, please).

It would be a good idea for your boys to get the blood tests done (others know more than me), because it is definitely genetic, and your boys may have celiac disease or be gluten intolerant without having any obvious symptoms yet.

With children often the symptoms can be behaviour problems, ADHD, constipation (as well as diarrhea), unexplained tummy aches, listlessness (could indicate anemia due to malabsorption), being too skinny or short for their age, rashes, eczema and a lot of other things.

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Hi, and welcome to this board. I would suggest your doctor test you for deficiencies, before supplementing with anything. It's much better to take exactly what your body needs.

You should get a bone density scan, to check for osteoporosis or the early stages of it. Also, your ferritin and hemoglobin should be checked, to see how anemic you are, and if just iron supplements are enough, or you need more drastic and faster acting measures (like iron injections or a transfusion). Also checking calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and K and potassium are a good idea (if I am forgetting something, somebody else supplement the information, please).

It would be a good idea for your boys to get the blood tests done (others know more than me), because it is definitely genetic, and your boys may have celiac disease or be gluten intolerant without having any obvious symptoms yet.

With children often the symptoms can be behaviour problems, ADHD, constipation (as well as diarrhea), unexplained tummy aches, listlessness (could indicate anemia due to malabsorption), being too skinny or short for their age, rashes, eczema and a lot of other things.

dionnek Enthusiast

I was just diagnosed with celiac myself a week ago and am a runner - I don't think it should interfere with your traning at all - if anything, once you get on the gluten-free diet, it should make your running easier (I've always been concerned about needing "pit stops" during my runs, so I am hoping once my intestines heal I will be safe from that worry). :D

I also have a 19 month old daughter, who seems to be fine (she is in the 50th % for weight and 90% for height), and since I've heard that the tests for kids are inconclusive until age 3 or 5 (depending on who you talk to), and both my dr. and her pediatrician said she doesn't need to be tested, then I am not going to have her tested until she is 3. But, if you see symptoms in your boys (not growing, getting sick - vomitting/diarrhea - alot, skin rashes, etc.) then I would probably get them tested. How old are they?

BTW, how do you get diagnosed for lactose intollerance? I was diagnosed with celiac and crohns, but have not given up dairy or anything other than the gluten yet. I just can't fathom not eating dairy or anything else, as the gluten free diet is so restricitve already!

• 2 weeks later...
taz sharratt Enthusiast
I was just diagnosed with celiac myself a week ago and am a runner - I don't think it should interfere with your traning at all - if anything, once you get on the gluten-free diet, it should make your running easier (I've always been concerned about needing "pit stops" during my runs, so I am hoping once my intestines heal I will be safe from that worry). :D

I also have a 19 month old daughter, who seems to be fine (she is in the 50th % for weight and 90% for height), and since I've heard that the tests for kids are inconclusive until age 3 or 5 (depending on who you talk to), and both my dr. and her pediatrician said she doesn't need to be tested, then I am not going to have her tested until she is 3. But, if you see symptoms in your boys (not growing, getting sick - vomitting/diarrhea - alot, skin rashes, etc.) then I would probably get them tested. How old are they?

BTW, how do you get diagnosed for lactose intollerance? I was diagnosed with celiac and crohns, but have not given up dairy or anything other than the gluten yet. I just can't fathom not eating dairy or anything else, as the gluten free diet is so restricitve already!

i was diagnosed with a breath test, you are given lactose to drink( disgusting) and then you have to breath into balloons every hour for 6 hours then every 2 hours for 3 times, the samples then get tested with the breath in them. its been really hard for me cos i love my cereal ide have cerael instead of a meal any day, not amymore. also a lot of the foods that are guten free i still cant have cos of the lactose. my 3 boys are finlay 4, dylan 5 and maclain 10.

Archived