56 replies to this topic

#16 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone else find that they react to soy flour much worse than tofu etc?

YES! Definitely!
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 alamaz

alamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

i react to soy anything including lecithins. i break out very badly and also my right side inflammations kick into gear. the whole food dark chocolate bars are soy free also.
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

#18 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

i react to soy anything including lecithins. i break out very badly and also my right side inflammations kick into gear. the whole food dark chocolate bars are soy free also.

My ears perked up at "right side inflammations" - can you tell me more about those? Soy makes me break out primarily on my right hand, and I've always thought it was bizarre that it's so one-sided.

Jeanne

#19 lizziefromlondon

lizziefromlondon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:27 AM

YES! Definitely!

Do you know any reason for this? It's an instant reaction for me - serious bloating and stomach pain almost as soon as I eat anything with soy flour in (annoying as most supermarket biscuits etc in the UK are made with soy flour - there are obviously alternatives but it makes it harder to just grab something from the 'Free From' section...).

Am presuming it must be something in the process to get the flour from the bean or something they add to it that makes it really indigestible/means it causes more problems in that form...?

#20 zkat

zkat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

I hate getting soyed, as much as I hate getting glutened!

For me, it starts with very bubbly gas that I can feel moving through my system, then it is extremely foul smelling. I end up with bad diarrea. The gas usually last for about 2 days. My face always breaks out with systic acne and my back will start breaking out too.

I react to soybeen oil and lectins and it is in everything!

Kat.

#21 michelleL

michelleL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

I cannot tolerate soy at all. It's gotten so bad, I can't tolerate "regular" toothpaste. First, it was just hives. Now, I'm having attacks where I can't breathe. The most recent one, I really thought I was going to be a goner for sure. (I've renewed my rx for the EPI pen after that one...) And this was a drug reaction, in which I discovered that one of the ingredients of the medication is derived from soy oil "that has gone through so many processes there is no more soy left..." according to the pharmacist and drug lab. My foot. I've just returned from the allergist, who informed me that because I react to soy oil, it is not a soy allergy. Now, I am wondering if the reason I went into convulsions from taking Humalog (an insulin with glycerine) is that the glycerine is derived from soy. These reactions I have are not immediate. I always get hives 24 hours later, and then after a while of taking these things, I get the severe reactions. It takes 2 weeks for me to fully recover, after eliminating the culprit. I also lose weight, have severe bloatedness, and diarrhea.

I've done some research on the net, and they say that soy is not edible unless it's been fermented, as it is eaten in the East and only in small quantities. Canola oil is also the worst oil to eat; it is also inedible. The best 3 oils to eat are: olive, sesame, and one other I can't remember now. I'll post it when I remember what it is. These are oils that have been eaten for centuries, and proven to be edible.

Yea, soy is just as bad as gluten for me, and I think, too, it is even worse than the gluten.

#22 michelleL

michelleL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

I cannot tolerate soy at all. It's gotten so bad, I can't tolerate "regular" toothpaste. First, it was just hives. Now, I'm having attacks where I can't breathe. The most recent one, I really thought I was going to be a goner for sure. (I've renewed my rx for the EPI pen after that one...) And this was a drug reaction, in which I discovered that one of the ingredients of the medication is derived from soy oil "that has gone through so many processes there is no more soy left..." according to the pharmacist and drug lab. My foot. I've just returned from the allergist, who informed me that because I react to soy oil, it is not a soy allergy. Now, I am wondering if the reason I went into convulsions from taking Humalog (an insulin with glycerine) is that the glycerine is derived from soy. These reactions I have are not immediate. I always get hives 24 hours later, and then after a while of taking these things, I get the severe reactions. It takes 2 weeks for me to fully recover, after eliminating the culprit. I also lose weight, have severe bloatedness, and diarrhea.

I've done some research on the net, and they say that soy is not edible unless it's been fermented, as it is eaten in the East and only in small quantities. Canola oil is also the worst oil to eat; it is also inedible. The best 3 oils to eat are: olive, sesame, and one other I can't remember now. I'll post it when I remember what it is. These are oils that have been eaten for centuries, and proven to be edible.

Yea, soy is just as bad as gluten for me, and I think, too, it is even worse than the gluten.

#23 michelleL

michelleL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

The best 3 oils to use are: olive, sesame, and almond.

The worst 3 are: soy, canola and safflower. Insects won't eat any part of the rapeseed plant (from which "canola" comes from) - it is poisonous to them. It's like a natural pesticide.

#24 The Lovebug

The Lovebug

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

I hadn't thought soy was a problem for me until I started taking a new brand of probiotic recently. Within a couple of hours, I was having bloating and cramping problems similar to those I had with gluten. I emailed the manufacturer and was told their capsules were free of wheat, dairy and gluten, but they do contain soy. So now I'm strongly suspicious that I am also soy intolerant.

Sue
Self-diagnosed in 2004 after 6 years of hell. Doing well on gluten-free diet, but still having occasional bouts of accidental glutening. Message board has been a godsend. Have been on since 2004 as "grannynanny," but couldn't recreate password and was shut out, having to re-register in 2007. Update: Gastroenterologist wanted to do genetic test for celiac (Mar 2008). Results showed genetic marker on G8 -- one of two genes identified as Celiac.

#25 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

Do you know any reason for this? It's an instant reaction for me - serious bloating and stomach pain almost as soon as I eat anything with soy flour in (annoying as most supermarket biscuits etc in the UK are made with soy flour - there are obviously alternatives but it makes it harder to just grab something from the 'Free From' section...).

Am presuming it must be something in the process to get the flour from the bean or something they add to it that makes it really indigestible/means it causes more problems in that form...?

I had always assumed soy flour must somehow have a higher concentration of soy protein, but I am just guessing.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#26 Sugarmag

Sugarmag

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

First, I just want to thank all of you for how much you help each other! I've been a member for over a year, but haven't posted yet.

I've been gluten free for almost two years now, and in that time, I guess a lot of my new food choices ended up having large amounts of soy in them. I'd always had some soy here and there, maybe a Starbuck's coffee with soy milk in it, a bit of tofu, but that's it. (I'm also lactose intolerant.) Anyways, reading this post, well, finally made me post! I had no idea soy could affect your skin so greatly! The last year or so especially, I keep getting an acne like rash/small hives around my jawline, a bit on my neck, and upper chest. As soon as I got off soy milks and yogurts, it started to clear up. But I still have some of the acne rash and hives, it's been one month since I've had soy products, so I thought. Didn't realize that some Crystal Light drink mix had soy lecithin in it! Anyways, for those of you who have skin reactions to soy as well as GI symptoms, how long did it take for your skin to completely clear up, and stop itching?? My stomach seems to be doing immensely better, but my skin is still quite itchy, and I'm sick of antihistamines, not sure if I should just "let it work itself out" type of thing. Do any of you remember how long it took for your skin to clear up??
Katie

Gluten free since July 2005
Lactose Free since 1994
Soy free since May 2007
Dairy free since September 2007
Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

#27 Nina12488

Nina12488

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

I am starting to think I am soy intolerant too... five years ago an allergy test to soy came back slightly positive and my doctor said because it was so slight to just go off gluten to see if it made a difference... which did work for a while.. but now symptoms are starting to come back and the only thing I can think of is soy. I wouldn't mind trying to go soy free for a few weeks to see if that helps.. but my question is.. what do you eat? haha I'm having such a hard time finding soy intolerant websites/discussion forums like I can for Celiac/gluten free. Does anyone know of any websites? Or have any suggestions? Thanks!

-Nina

#28 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

I am guessing it has to do with the concentration of soy proteins.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#29 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:12 PM

It has just been about three months since I have been having major reactions to soy and you are definitely right. It does hide in a lot of places.

The reaction, at least for me, is completely different than for gluten. In fact, for awhile I was confusing it somewhat for acid reflux. The symptoms have included major difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, some slight neck swelling (a bit like mumps), shortness of breath (although I exercise regularly), weakness in my arms and significant weight loss. There has been some dehydration but that may or may not be related.

Right now, I am in a similar mode to what I experienced after going gluten free. I am OK for a bit, then the symptoms come back. Every single time, I have been able to track down soy in something I ate. The hardest so far were the mono- and di-glycerides in the ice cream I buy. The manufacturers web site listed the ingredients and the two were clickable. The link mentioned soybeans.

With most of the soy out of the way, I have noticed what may be a very slight reaction to canola oil. I switched from soy oil-based mayo to canola-based and have noticed slight neck symptoms after eating it.

Needless to say, I am getting tired of having to toss out food. This is worse than celiac disease. With a gluten accident, all I worried about was the little d. With difficulty swallowing and feeling like my neck would cramp up, I can't help but think about the big D.

I just saw this...are you sure you're having a reaction to soy? Do you ever have these symptoms the rest of the time? What you desribe sounds a lot like thyroid disease. Do you have a goiter?

I would see a doctor to get an Epi pen if you have any kind of reaction in which your throat swells. This sounds more like a potentially dangerous allergy than intolerance.

#30 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

I hadn't thought soy was a problem for me until I started taking a new brand of probiotic recently. Within a couple of hours, I was having bloating and cramping problems similar to those I had with gluten. I emailed the manufacturer and was told their capsules were free of wheat, dairy and gluten, but they do contain soy. So now I'm strongly suspicious that I am also soy intolerant.

Sue

Apparently this is a lesser known "normal" side effect from starting probiotics. I also had the same thing happen to me, and I am not soy intolerant. Cut out the probiotics for a while. If you react to foods with soy, then you know that is also a problem for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: