56 replies to this topic

#46 hawaiimama

hawaiimama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

When i eat soy, I get this feeling in my stomach like its just sititng there not moving and I get a weird taste in my mouth. I seem to be quite sensitve to it. I went to Starbucks one day, and my friend had a soy latte before me. They wiped the thing down then made mine. I had "that" stomach ache that afternoon and I couldn't figure out why but realized I must have had some little bit of soy.

BLECH.

I have had allergy testing for soy and it was neg so I'm not sure what is up with that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 wendysc

wendysc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

If you are using Canola Mayo be careful. I just got an email from Helmann's confirming that "natural flavoring" is soy! Explains why I was having reactions after eating just a little of the mayo that I thought was safe.

It has just been about three months since I have been having major reactions to soy and you are definitely right. It does hide in a lot of places.

The reaction, at least for me, is completely different than for gluten. In fact, for awhile I was confusing it somewhat for acid reflux. The symptoms have included major difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, some slight neck swelling (a bit like mumps), shortness of breath (although I exercise regularly), weakness in my arms and significant weight loss. There has been some dehydration but that may or may not be related.

Right now, I am in a similar mode to what I experienced after going gluten free. I am OK for a bit, then the symptoms come back. Every single time, I have been able to track down soy in something I ate. The hardest so far were the mono- and di-glycerides in the ice cream I buy. The manufacturers web site listed the ingredients and the two were clickable. The link mentioned soybeans.

With most of the soy out of the way, I have noticed what may be a very slight reaction to canola [u]oil. I switched from soy oil-based mayo to canola-based and have noticed slight neck symptoms after eating it.

Needless to say, I am getting tired of having to toss out food. This is worse than celiac disease. With a gluten accident, all I worried about was the little d. With difficulty swallowing and feeling like my neck would cramp up, I can't help but think about the big D.

#48 Vollaire

Vollaire

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

For those of you that are also reactive to soy, what do your reactions look like?

I'm starting to suspect that I'm reacting even stronger to soy than I am to gluten, and DANG does soy hide in a lot of places!

Does anyone have a soy-free chocolate recommendation? I can handle giving up wheat pasta, but CHOCOLATE?? <_<

Not only can I no longer have gluten I have also had to eliminate dairy. I tried soy products and found they were an irritation to my system also. There is a company called turtle mountain www.turtlemountain.com and they have a frozen dessert as well as yogurts made from coconut milk. One of their flavors is chocolate and it is very good. :P

#49 blueeyedvegan

blueeyedvegan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

I find that soy is toxic. I have night sweats. Swelling in my left thigh and rash that resembles and feels like a third degree burn across my skin when the fever leaves my body the skin across my thigh peels away. I can't breathe and I have inflammation in my intestines. I haven't had soy in 4 months and I was doing fine. Last night my husband made homemade french fries with vegetable oil. That night I had night sweats. Today I read the vegetable oil bottle and the ingredients read soybean oil (only). I only had 10 fries. I read every label and I will not eat any thing that maybe processed in a facility that processes soy. Soy is in everything and it's disguised in many forms. I find that it is extremely dangerous.

blueeyedvegan

#50 Junot

Junot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

damn these gluten free cookies have soy and this chocolate bar too
Soy and Soy Lecithin
Should I still eat itÉÉÉ I dont know what my body is like with soy hmmmmm

#51 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

I *think* I may be soy intolerant. My most obvious symptom is a depression that comes out of absolutely nowhere. I get ANGRY or I despair for no reason. I want to hurt myself or inanimate objects.

I used to feel like this every night--go to bed depressed, then wake up fine in the morning. After going gluten-free, that stopped, except for three major times. those three times I could trace it back to soy oil, soy lecithin, and cross-contamination from a facility that also uses soy.

The soy oil by far gave me the worse reaction. Immediate stomachache, smelly, painful gas, reflux, headache/depression/fatigue that lasted several days. The soy lecithin and soy CC only gave me neurological symptoms of depression, headache, and fatigue, although it's possible I can blame some gas on it too. And possibly acid reflux.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#52 jcmi10236

jcmi10236

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

How can you know if its the gluten or /and the soy? Most of the time they are both in a product. I am suspecting soy also. What product can I try thats just one or the other?

I react to soy much the same as to gluten. And in fact, soy can destroy the villi as well.

#53 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

You might try some tofu, or some edamame beans.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#54 cyoshimit

cyoshimit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I recently confirmed my intolerance to soy. My heart rate slowed, fatigue, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness. Its been 8 days since I ingested soy. It is pretty dibilitating. I have to eat a small snack or meal every couple of hours to supplement my energy. I am also loading up on b-vits, c-vit, & calcium to replenish what I can what my body isn't absorbing. I am slowly losing my patients with myself over my recovery time. Life was good and active then it came to a halt with this soy reaction. no work & no school.

Anyone have similar experiences? Tips? Or how long it took you to recover?

#55 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I recently confirmed my intolerance to soy. My heart rate slowed, fatigue, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness. Its been 8 days since I ingested soy. It is pretty dibilitating. I have to eat a small snack or meal every couple of hours to supplement my energy. I am also loading up on b-vits, c-vit, & calcium to replenish what I can what my body isn't absorbing. I am slowly losing my patients with myself over my recovery time. Life was good and active then it came to a halt with this soy reaction. no work & no school.

Anyone have similar experiences? Tips? Or how long it took you to recover?

A reaction can last days, weeks, or longer, depending on how much you consumed, and your state of health in general.
It's pretty miserable, but seems to just need to run it's course?
You might try adding coconut oil to your diet? It feeds your brain just like glucose and has anti-inflamatory/healing properties. A dose of at least 2-3T per day has helped me. I add it to my morning coffee, use it like I would butter on cooked veggies, and use it to cook with. I really like the organic extra virgin Nutivia brand, which I buy online.
Look it up. You might be surprised how beneficial it is in your diet.

Some people find that taking a long soaking bath in epsom salts helps pull toxins from the body too.
Good luck. I hope this passes soon for you.

#56 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Does anyone else find that they react to soy flour much worse than tofu etc? Soy flour (in biscuits/cakes etc) has a really quick reaction with me - I get some similar reactions to my coeliac ones - bloating/gas etc, but I think things like tofu/gluten-free tamari are OK...

I've seen that soy has a high risk of cross contamination in the fields as it is grown in rotation with wheat. If you're bothered by soy flour, maybe that could be the problem? I wish I had those at home test strips...

#57 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

For those of you that are also reactive to soy, what do your reactions look like?

I'm starting to suspect that I'm reacting even stronger to soy than I am to gluten, and DANG does soy hide in a lot of places!

Does anyone have a soy-free chocolate recommendation? I can handle giving up wheat pasta, but CHOCOLATE?? <_<

For me soy brings almost immediate gastro reactions. MISERY! Mostly very unpleasant gas and stomach cramping. I am more reactive to soy than gluten. Its really difficult to find gluten-free goodies that don't contain soy. I mainly stick to whole, natural foods that I prepare myself. For gluten-free foods my favorite is udi's. Great breads, cookies, and other goodies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: