This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Panic, Anxiety...

gabrielle

gabrielle Contributor

This is kind of hard to talk about, but I figure I discuss my "poo" with you people :rolleyes: , I can discuss something else. When I was 17 I had my very first panic attack, it was so late at night and I thought I was dying. My heart raced and I thought for sure it was the end of the world. For 2 years I had deblitating attacks that would take me to the ER and attacks that would excuse me from school. When I met my husband, they seemed to subside but now I am having them again (at least for the last 4 months). I used to take Xanax and it seemed to work rather well, but I really do not want to medicate myself to make the fear go away.

I usually have an attack without warning and even though I know what it is, I still feel like I am dying or I am having a heart attack. I have never formally been diagnosed with a Anxiety Disorder, but I have researched and I believe I have Panic Disorder. I am wondering if anyone here has any anxiety problems and how they deal with them on a daily basis.

Recently, I walked out of a job that I had just started because I felt too overwhelmed to continue. And what's even stranger I am deathly afraid of the telephone. I can talk to my husband, but I can not talk to anyone else, it's even hard to talk to other family members comfortably- I get paralyzed with fear. I really wish I could stop being afraid of everything. I don't know if it is all in my subconscience or if there is something really wrong. I continue to blame my fear on my childhood, growing up with an abusive father and an absent mother.

It's hard for me to make friends, because I am so shy. I am always afraid to disappoint people, and I just want to please everyone---- Am I just a lost cause?

I've rambled and rambled, and I apologize- it feels good to say all of this even if someone doesn't respond. I just wanted people's input on anxiety or fear- or anyone that has dealt with an abusive relationship whether it be father, boyfriend, husband and how you recovered.

Thank you so much for letting me ramble.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

What has helped me is going to a therapist. That's nerve racking in itsdelf but helped me so much! Plus, you can switch them until you find someone who fits with you. I don't know why it helps but it helped me know that I am not crazy and that it's okay to feel the way I do. I think that would help you the most even though it will be so hard to start going. Medication helps me as well and is something you could look in to, as well.

Lister Rising Star

i know this does not help you, but i was wondering what does it feel like, to have a panic attack. Im trying to find a explanation for what keeps happening to me when im trying to go to bed (i will be laying there then i will feel as if a huge amount of blood is rushing to my head and hten i cant breath, i take some big deep breaths then try to lay back down again and it repetes a couple of times ( last night around 10 times) before i finally fell asleep.

hope you find something to help you out

gabrielle Contributor
What has helped me is going to a therapist. That's nerve racking in itsdelf but helped me so much! Plus, you can switch them until you find someone who fits with you. I don't know why it helps but it helped me know that I am not crazy and that it's okay to feel the way I do. I think that would help you the most even though it will be so hard to start going. Medication helps me as well and is something you could look in to, as well.

Do you anxiety problems? I have been to several therapists in my life, and you are right it is hard to find someone who molds to you or that you feel comfortable with. I will however give it a second chance, if not for me then my husband, because I am driving him crazy! And let's face it no household needs two crazy people <_< . The Xanax really did work for me, i just don't want to get hooked. I want to feel sane enough to be able to control my anxiety. Like you said, I just want to know IM NOT CRAZY! -

i know this does not help you, but i was wondering what does it feel like, to have a panic attack. Im trying to find a explanation for what keeps happening to me when im trying to go to bed (i will be laying there then i will feel as if a huge amount of blood is rushing to my head and hten i cant breath, i take some big deep breaths then try to lay back down again and it repetes a couple of times ( last night around 10 times) before i finally fell asleep.

hope you find something to help you out

This does help me to talk to people about these things, thank you for taking an interest, even if it is to help diagnose yourself. Anxiety is a horrible thing to deal with!!!

I know all panic/anxiety attacks are different- each person can be affected differently. But for me, I usually have a rapid heart beat, I sweat, I get very nervous and I have to pace the house, I get very hot and I need cold air, my muscles get tight and I get a very upset tummy. I have horrible thoughts that I am going to die and in the first couple minutes I can not rationalize what is happening- I have no sense of reality.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Gabrielle - you are not a lost cause, dear one. NO ONE is a lost cause. Have you had any talk therapy? If you can find and afford a good therapist, that could help you enormously. If you can't afford it, there are many places with sliding fee structures.

I had a nervous breakdown in 2004....I don't know how else to explain it and no one does. It was the second Thursday in Novenber, and all of a sudden, literally in one instant, TERROR came upon me. I have told my climbing friends that it was the feeling you'd get if you were a thousand feet up on a cliff and glanced down only to see that you or your partner were not clipped in. There would be an abrupt flood of palpable horror starting at your head and rushing through your entire body.....well, that's exactly what it felt like for me, every minute, for three solid months. I lost 20 pounds instantly and could not keep food in...I cried constantly and felt death's grip on me at all times. I was obsessed and consumed with suicide, and begged God to let me die. Doctors wanted to sedate me heavily and I knew that was a band-aid, not a solution. I moved into my parents' house, at 43 years old and wtih two big, stinky dogs, for three months. It was unbelievable. I didn't want to be looked at and was terrified to be in public, yet drove myself to every appointment. I saw two therapists - both free. picked up my own medication at the drugstore. I FORCED myself to take care of my own things - would not let my mom.

And through this, I developed a prayer life again....and started going to church. I don't even remember going....it was so, so difficult...my parents' neighbors took me, and it was almost like the blblical story of the paralyzed man on the mat - his friends lowered him through the roof to get him to where Jesus was as he did not have the strength. These people almost literally carried me into church...I was so weak I leaned on this wonderful woman during the services. They were in prayer for me constantly.

Slowly I came out of this, but it took a while to get back to "normal." MY POINT - and there is one - is this: if I can come out of that, anyone, and even you, can come out of ANYTHING. Please get all the help you can...you will come out of this. And if there are areas of panic remaining (I am terrified of insects!), you will learn to cope.

How long have you been gluten-free? Removing gluten changed my brain and my life. I have no panic, not a trace, just some crazy days the three to five days before my period, and I am working on that.

Talking to someone will help enormously. I have left jobs in the past that caused too much panic. I nearly died during a teaching job 15 years ago - everyone wanted to hospitalize me, but I wouldn't go. I left the job and regained health, and NEVER looked back to anything smacking of teaching again.

Sorry this is so long....but I just know you can get better. I know it as I have LIVED it!

Blessings -

Susan

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I have anxiety problems, they went away for a while after I got married, but are starting to resurface. My doctor said (not my current one, but the one I had when I was having major problems with it) that it's a combo of your thoughts, and your brain chemicals. He said that my brain was sending the chemicals to my body to make my chest hurt and stuff even though my chest really didn't have a reason to hurt. I went to some biofeedback therapy and it helped a lot.

I still have attacks when I go to the store sometimes, can't go to Walmart on Saturdays for example. Every once in a while I get anxious at home, but hubby can calm me down sometimes.

gabrielle Contributor

Dinogirl- thank you for such inspiration!! You really overcame a lot and it is so very commendable! I am not near the point of destruction that you were, but yet any amount of fear can paralyze you into feeling overwhelmed and unattainable to the outside world. I have said this before, but I do need to talk to someone. I am only 21 years old and this is something I cannot have running my life. I can't become an agoraphobic!!!!! As to your question, I have been gluten-free for about 15 months (with some occassional unintentional slips)... my anxiety has come back recently and I have found that some of my medications were not gluten-free so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, I have issues to deal with- childhood issues that will not go away with being gluten-free (unfortunately). Thank you for your kind words and inspirational story! So glad you are better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Dinogirl- thank you for such inspiration!! You really overcame a lot and it is so very commendable! I am not near the point of destruction that you were, but yet any amount of fear can paralyze you into feeling overwhelmed and unattainable to the outside world. I have said this before, but I do need to talk to someone. I am only 21 years old and this is something I cannot have running my life. I can't become an agoraphobic!!!!! As to your question, I have been gluten-free for about 15 months (with some occassional unintentional slips)... my anxiety has come back recently and I have found that some of my medications were not gluten-free so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, I have issues to deal with- childhood issues that will not go away with being gluten-free (unfortunately). Thank you for your kind words and inspirational story! So glad you are better!

Sweet child, the world is your oyster! You are a youngster and good to be recognizing that you need to address things now.

During my breakdown, some of the medications I was on were making me sicker and sicker. And, more crazy, MORE terrified. It was excruciating. We kept switching....I was on one drug for three or four weeks and finally, when my glands became swollen (a noted side affect), he let me switch....it was pure hell and those three weeks felt like three YEARS. Soon after that, as I had switched medications entirely, I got better. Medication can have SO much to do wtih it, so keep working on that.

About one month gluten-free I had to go back on an antidepressnat again. Started taking Wellbutrin, which I'd taken before, and thought I was going MAD. It affected me differently and I was crawling out of my skin. So, switched to Effexor, and I'm on a very low dose - but it changed everything. I imagine one day I'll be off everything.

A glass of wine at night doesn't hurt, either! :rolleyes:

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Gabrielle--how long have you been gluten free? Our malabsorption problems cause us to have chemical imbalances. I was pn paxil for years before I went gluten free--I was taking 40mgs a day and still having panic. After 3 months of gluten free, I weaned myself off of paxil. I suffered panic attacks, anticipatory anxiety, and agoraphobia. I drove 25 miles to work then and there were days I didnt know if I could make it to work. That was over 4 yrs ago and I have not had paxil or anything since. I do, on rare occasions have a mild panic attack, rarely nasty ones. Usually any panic I have now happens when my tummy seems to be upset and then I think the panic is somewhat self inflicted because I am worrying about my tummy. We are all different and handle things differently. Email me anytime hun, any of you can. Deb

lovegrov Collaborator

I hate medicating but I started having fairly severe panic attacks and depression a few weeks after my daughter died suddenly (that's her picture on my messages) and I was unable to work. I now take Zoloft, which generally helps control it, and if I'm really stressed out or feel an attack coming on take half of an Ativan. I do this rarely and a half doesn't zonk me out; just helps the chemistry some.

richard

GravStars Contributor
This is kind of hard to talk about, but I figure I discuss my "poo" with you people :rolleyes: , I can discuss something else. When I was 17 I had my very first panic attack, it was so late at night and I thought I was dying. My heart raced and I thought for sure it was the end of the world. For 2 years I had deblitating attacks that would take me to the ER and attacks that would excuse me from school. When I met my husband, they seemed to subside but now I am having them again (at least for the last 4 months). I used to take Xanax and it seemed to work rather well, but I really do not want to medicate myself to make the fear go away.

I usually have an attack without warning and even though I know what it is, I still feel like I am dying or I am having a heart attack. I have never formally been diagnosed with a Anxiety Disorder, but I have researched and I believe I have Panic Disorder. I am wondering if anyone here has any anxiety problems and how they deal with them on a daily basis.

Recently, I walked out of a job that I had just started because I felt too overwhelmed to continue. And what's even stranger I am deathly afraid of the telephone. I can talk to my husband, but I can not talk to anyone else, it's even hard to talk to other family members comfortably- I get paralyzed with fear. I really wish I could stop being afraid of everything. I don't know if it is all in my subconscience or if there is something really wrong. I continue to blame my fear on my childhood, growing up with an abusive father and an absent mother.

It's hard for me to make friends, because I am so shy. I am always afraid to disappoint people, and I just want to please everyone---- Am I just a lost cause?

I've rambled and rambled, and I apologize- it feels good to say all of this even if someone doesn't respond. I just wanted people's input on anxiety or fear- or anyone that has dealt with an abusive relationship whether it be father, boyfriend, husband and how you recovered.

Thank you so much for letting me ramble.

i have a lot of trouble with anxiety. although i've only had one acute panic attack (i thought i was dying and/or going crazy), i've dealt with generalized chronic anxiety for 10 years. although i've always been shy. i'm undiagnosed gluten-intolerance/celiac and have no medical insurance so i am giving the gluten-free diet a try. with my other symptoms i wonder if the anxiety is a part of it (i had that panic attack a few months after abdmoninal bloating started and from there everything just seemed to get worse, physically and mentally). but because of it all i am 30 and still live at home, no job, although i am ready to get one and get a life, but its hard with how i constantly feel. it's made me terribly dysfunctional. i have trouble making eye contact, talking to and meeting people and get very anxious in social situations. even by myself i am always anxious. i don't even know why exactly, its just like a vague fear thing, insecurity, worry, etc.

but its not a lost cause. i also don't want to medicate myself (can't afford to anyway right now) and i KNOW it is possible to overcome this. people have done it. but its a process and doesn't happen overnight. i seem to go back and forth, some days are better than others, but i feel i am getting to a point where things are starting to gradually even out. learning to relax physically and mentally (worry, excessive and obsessive thinking, etc.) is a conscious process though. yoga, qigong and meditation have also helped.

so i'm not really recovered, but i feel i'm getting there, and i can definitely relate.

best to you

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I hate medicating but I started having fairly severe panic attacks and depression a few weeks after my daughter died suddenly (that's her picture on my messages) and I was unable to work. I now take Zoloft, which generally helps control it, and if I'm really stressed out or feel an attack coming on take half of an Ativan. I do this rarely and a half doesn't zonk me out; just helps the chemistry some.

richard

What? She died? I had no idea. I am so sorry Richard...what a beautiful, beautiful girl. How long ago, if I may ask?

My God, the things people go through....I guess no one ever said it would be easy...

Heaps of blessings to you.

Guest cassidy

There are medications out there that can help. If you went on a medication then maybe you would be more relaxed and would have an easier time finding a therapist that you like. Your family doctor could prescribe something to start with.

I had a rough year last year and I finally got some xanax. It works in about 20 minutes and I feel myself take a deep breath and let it out and then I feel fine. Now, I only have anxiety problems when I'm glutened. I think that was the problem all along for me.

As far as a therapist is concerned, maybe you can do some research before you go. Would you feel more comfortable with a man or a woman? Before making an appointment you could ask the doctor's philosophy. If it sounds like something that makes sense to you, you may have a better chance of bonding with the therapist.

I majored in psychology and I know there are people that can help you. You aren't crazy, mental disorders are real, just like celiac is real (although I know some of us were told we were crazy). I hope you can get some help.

lovegrov Collaborator

Grace collpased from cardiac arrest while running with her college track team Jan. 10, 2005. She died Jan. 12. We still don't know the cause.

Open Original Shared Link

richard

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for sharing that, Richard. What a gift, your Grace :)

debbiewil Rookie

Just a suggestion for anyone who has panic/anxiety attacks - you might want to get your adrenals tested. Sometimes malfunctioning adrenals can react inappropriately to minor stress, and dump way more of the adrenal hormones in your system than needed, which will give you all the symptoms of a panic attack. Rarer, but also possible are thyroid hormones. And both the adrenals and thyroid are subject to autoimmune diseases. Since you are more likely to get a second autoimmune disease when you already have one, and this is a celiac board - just a suggestion that you make absolutely sure that there isn't a medical reason for the panic symptoms.

Debbie

gabrielle Contributor
Just a suggestion for anyone who has panic/anxiety attacks - you might want to get your adrenals tested. Sometimes malfunctioning adrenals can react inappropriately to minor stress, and dump way more of the adrenal hormones in your system than needed, which will give you all the symptoms of a panic attack. Rarer, but also possible are thyroid hormones. And both the adrenals and thyroid are subject to autoimmune diseases. Since you are more likely to get a second autoimmune disease when you already have one, and this is a celiac board - just a suggestion that you make absolutely sure that there isn't a medical reason for the panic symptoms.

Debbie

I do have hypothyroidism... is that what you mean??? I need to have my levels checked again, and my anxiety had just started up recently again.. hmm, I will look into that.

To everyone else, thank you for sharing your stories with me ( well all of us). I have noticed it helps to know you aren't alone.

Richard- so sorry for your loss.

indyceliac Newbie

I suffered from panic disorder for years. Xanax only masks the feelings. What helped me the most is

Behavior Modification Therapy and antidepressants. Once i 'normalized' i got off the antideppresants and have been fine ever since. You need to get to the root cause of your fears..and deal with them.

Also, make sure you are physically healthy...thyroid problems ..blood sugar ...can cause similar reactions.

• 2 weeks later...
slpinsd Contributor

gabrielle,

I started having panic attacks, out of nowhere about 1 year ago. That's when I started looking into some possible physical causes. I found that I had adrenal exhaustion. This can cause depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. It is caused by chronic stress to the body- physical and/or emotional. Bodily stress, coming from GLUTEN, vitamin deficiencies, food intolerances, infections can cause this imbalance of DHEA and cortisol. I am on supplementation of DHEA and Pregnenolone because my adrenals were completely burned out. I am feeling like my old self again. Also, vitamin deficiencies and thyroid disease, in particular hyperthyroidism, can cause panic and anxiety. If you are hypothyroid, I would look into getting that checked, because it can go the other way. I believe that supporting your body physically is a necessary step to healing, and I pray you will find answers and healing. You are not alone Gabrielle, and you are not crazy!!!!

p.s. many traditional doctors don't recognize adrenal fatigue- i would suggest a naturopathic doctor if you do want your adrenals checked.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi. I had a lot of panic attacks before going off wheat. I eventually ended up on Xanax for a while, which helped alleviate the fear of having more panic attacks at the very least, and I learned how to sleep well. BUT it was the gluten-free-ness that has really helped me.

Several deficincies in the body can cause panic attacks:

B12

Folate

other B vitamins

Adrenals

Thyroid

minerals

I personally believe that panic attacks in particular are probably more physical than mental - I mean, there is nothing in your mental mind that flips on and off like that w/o a physical reason.

That said, I also see a Jungian therapist once a week. Since I was a sickly child and my mother was really type A and didn't take lightly to having this burden, I have some issues. And yes, the fact that I probably didn't feel SAFE a lot as a child has no doubt contributed to my panic attacks. But now that I've figured out the physical bits, I'm capable of looking at the mental bits w/o freaking out.

Good luck to you.

DeeTee33 Newbie
Do you anxiety problems? I have been to several therapists in my life, and you are right it is hard to find someone who molds to you or that you feel comfortable with. I will however give it a second chance, if not for me then my husband, because I am driving him crazy! And let's face it no household needs two crazy people <_< . The Xanax really did work for me, i just don't want to get hooked. I want to feel sane enough to be able to control my anxiety. Like you said, I just want to know IM NOT CRAZY! -

This does help me to talk to people about these things, thank you for taking an interest, even if it is to help diagnose yourself. Anxiety is a horrible thing to deal with!!!

I know all panic/anxiety attacks are different- each person can be affected differently. But for me, I usually have a rapid heart beat, I sweat, I get very nervous and I have to pace the house, I get very hot and I need cold air, my muscles get tight and I get a very upset tummy. I have horrible thoughts that I am going to die and in the first couple minutes I can not rationalize what is happening- I have no sense of reality.

Sounds like Panic Attacks to me. My husband has his own company and used to get them. He was stressed out at work and that was his bodys way of telling him to slow down. Took a while to figure it out. He would jump out of bed, pace, breath irradically, sweat, have pains in his chest, stretch his arms and fingers (maybe his muscles were tight, I was observing, he wouldn't let me call anyone saying he would be alright) after a while he would be fine. One day I was scared and I just called 911 and they took him in to the hospital and did all kinds of tests, stess, lung, heart etc. Everything was OK. Dr. said he was having panic attacks. He was forced to take it easy for two weeks and start back slowly. He hasn't had one in a long time thank God! I think finding out it wasn't something more serious really helped.

I have been having terrible Anxiety Attacks. They come on suddenly like Panic Attacks but I just get all emotional, extremely upset and cry knowing there isn't a thing I can do to change the events that are taking place. Way to much has happened the last eight months. Things are still in motion. I'm sorry but not enough time to share. I tried anti-depressants (Zoloft) but they took my personality away. Dr. prescribed Klonopin Wafers (clonazepam disintegrating tablets) they work in like 15 minutes and only last a few hours, just long enough to help me through my anxiety attack. You don't have to take them daily only when you feel an anxiety attack come on. It is a drug given for Panic Attacks but found out it works great for both.

I have been gluten-free 2 1/2 years and going through menapause I'm sure that isn't helping. I just recently started taking B vitamins. I also take Slow FE Iron w/ Folic Acid and Tums for calcium.

Hope you find what works for you! I know Panic attacks are real scary. I thought my husband was going to drop dead on me. Thank God we found out what was wrong. I'm sorry but I don't remember what they gave him at the time. Talk to your Doctor about Klonopin Wafers and see if it's an option for you. They really work! I don't even like taking Tylenol if I don't have to, so I use them sparingly.

penguin Community Regular

I started getting constant panic attacks in college. I had broken up with my then boyfriend (now husband) and I went to him when I had them at night, and they scared him too. I was on anxiety meds for exactly a month. They worked, but made me feel so numb and inhuman that I didn't want to take them. I learned how to control them, I'm not really sure how. I think my thought process was, well, either you get yourself under control or you have to be medicated.

I just realized something huge...my stomach spasms started a few months after that. Hmm, maybe mom was right and I do internalize my stress.

I would suggest something like yoga to destress you. I found that helped me immensely. There's nothing more relaxing than coming out of a class feeling like a wet noodle :)

I guess my point is that you have to find what's best for you, and unfortunately, that may mean taking meds sometimes.

Richard- I'm so sorry about your daughter. She was absolutely stunning.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I just recently started taking B vitamins. I also take Slow FE Iron w/ Folic Acid and Tums for calcium.

If I'm not mistaken, calcium and iron can't be taken at the same time (put in your mouth and swallowed at the same time) because they block one another. I'll double check this.

DeeTee33 Newbie
If I'm not mistaken, calcium and iron can't be taken at the same time (put in your mouth and swallowed at the same time) because they block one another. I'll double check this.

Thanks for the info. I never have taken them at the same time though, I usually take the Slow FE before bed so I it's easier on the digestion process. I had to take it that way when my Colitis was really bad otherwise I would cramp. Just a habit now.

I definately know not to take iron supplements any time around drinking juice. I did that once...Talk about feeling like you're having a heart attack! Another good reason to take iron before bed.

Richard my heart goes out to you! She was truly a beautiful girl!

key Contributor

Gabrielle,

I had a panic attack when I was in college. My parents rushed me to the ER, because I thought I was dying. It was strange. I had had an MMR two weeks before and thought maybe it had something to do with it, because for three months after that I felt dizzy and nauseated. I also wonder now if it was the undiagnosed celiac disease. Also I was dieting alot and drinking a ton of diet pepsi. We never really figured it out.

Since then I have felt on the verge of having a panic attack, but can control it by deep breathing and I try to do something to take my mind of the physical symptoms. I will go turn the tv on, chew gum, etc, talk to my husband. I think maybe your's is more serious and you may not be able to control it by yourself. My cousin was having the same thing you are. She wouldn't go to parties, etc. SHe is only 23. She started taking Paxil and this has helped her tons she says. She also started on Wellbutrin to counteract the sexual side effects of the Paxil. She doesn't have any other side effects from either one.

I was having IBS issues and the doctor thinks it is stress, so I started on Lexapro. It has only been two weeks. So far i don't have any side effects, but I feel like it is helping me. I was under tons of stress for years with my kids health, surgeries, two diseases and my celiac disease. All of which has taken a toll on my body. I am sure the stress you endured in your childhood has affected you. I would try and see a counselor. Also prayer has helped me many times, but I don't think that is always the answer or I wouldn't be needing the Lexapro. So far it has definitely helped my IBS. It has taken me a year to breakdown and take it. I really didn't want to take anything, but so far I am very glad I did it.

Take care and you are not crazy!!! I do think the celiac and getting gluten can cause us to be up and down with depression or having panic attacks.

HUGS,

MOnica

Archived