This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"im Wheat Free... But Wheat Doesnt Bother Me"

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

OKay I wish I had time question this lady more... but I got side tracked when she said a certian bread was gluten-free that is not (ezekial). Came up in converstation with her cause we mention our son having celiac disease and she was like oh, so then you use alot of Ezkliakajlksjdaflj (how hte freak is that spelled?) bread, and I had to explain to her that and splet were not gulten free. It just struck me odd, why would you be "wheat free" for what appears to be no good reason? heh She actually said "Im Wheat free... but wheat doesnt bother me", what up with that??

Strange....but she at least knew alittle about celiac disease, that was a change. LOL!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

that is a bit wacky. I wonder if it's like me and corn. I can deal alright with corn - but I generally avoid it in quantity. (ooo... I did eat corn chips last night. they were gluten-free, but I shouldn't eat corn chips. I made my husband move them to his 'gluten-infested' shelf. :P ) or maybe she's just being silly? I dunno. I'd be really curious to hear her reason. she may have a good one, but be worried that someone would laugh about it...

Mango04 Enthusiast

Maybe she randomly read "Dangerous Grains" and swore off wheat LOL.

Maybe she has a family member with Celiac Disease (but that family member eats the Exeaknsasdfjjz because they don't know what they're doing) and she's avoiding wheat for that person's sake.

or maybe...she has some sort of injury and avoids gluten becasue gluten causes inflammation in the body and therefore worsens her pain (sounds random yes, but my mom avoids gluten for this reason and this reason only. she doesn't actually have a gluten intolerance - it doesn't bother her in the sense that it bothers celiacs - but she still aviods it)

hey...the more wheat-free people, the better! :D

I do that with corn too...except I ate a corn tortilla this morning.. opps

CarlaB Enthusiast

This is just a random guess, but Ezekiel Bread uses sprouted grains, which are supposed to be easier to digest and better for you (as long as you don't have gluten intolernance). Maybe she is so convinced that all grains should be sprouted to "release" their nutritional value that she avoids regular wheat. Like I said, just a guess.

Mango04 Enthusiast
This is just a random guess, but Ezekiel Bread uses sprouted grains, which are supposed to be easier to digest and better for you (as long as you don't have gluten intolernance). Maybe she is so convinced that all grains should be sprouted to "release" their nutritional value that she avoids regular wheat. Like I said, just a guess.

I do know a couple of people who will only eat sprouted grains...

VydorScope Proficient

She actaull said she was told it was "gluten free" and safe, she was sure she was told that and it took me several mins to explain to here that it was not safe for ppl with celiac disease.

Green12 Enthusiast
OKay I wish I had time question this lady more... but I got side tracked when she said a certian bread was gluten-free that is not (ezekial). Came up in converstation with her cause we mention our son having celiac disease and she was like oh, so then you use alot of Ezkliakajlksjdaflj (how hte freak is that spelled?) bread, and I had to explain to her that and splet were not gulten free. It just struck me odd, why would you be "wheat free" for what appears to be no good reason? heh She actually said "Im Wheat free... but wheat doesnt bother me", what up with that??

Strange....but she at least knew alittle about celiac disease, that was a change. LOL!

I'm a little confused, but if I understand this right it might be a case that she is just wheat free and not gluten free. Years ago I went wheat free and in that school of thought you can have wheat alternatives (like spelt and etc.) and oats. If you ever notice in the health food stores there are products that say "wheat free" but there is still gluten containing ingredients. Also Ezekiel bread is eaten by some people that are wheat free because is is made with all sprouted grains (literally the bread from the bible) and it is thought to be very easily digested and more well tolerated by those individuals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

The owner of the health food store I go to to buy things like buckwheat, told me that I could eat that bread, because even though it was made from wheat, it was sprouted and that made it safe for people with celiac disease! That was right after I figured out I have celiac disease, and she really confused me. But I had my doubts, so I didn't buy any.

Now that I know better, I should talk to her and explain that it is NOT safe for celiacs to eat that bread. Just like that store owner of that extreme health food store in Florida, who claimed that spelt was fine. Can't do anything about her any more, but I can educate the lady in my own store.

VydorScope Proficient
The owner of the health food store I go to to buy things like buckwheat, told me that I could eat that bread, because even though it was made from wheat, it was sprouted and that made it safe for people with celiac disease! That was right after I figured out I have celiac disease, and she really confused me. But I had my doubts, so I didn't buy any.

Now that I know better, I should talk to her and explain that it is NOT safe for celiacs to eat that bread. Just like that store owner of that extreme health food store in Florida, who claimed that spelt was fine. Can't do anything about her any more, but I can educate the lady in my own store.

The web site says "Flourless" so maybe thats confusing ppl?

jerseyangel Proficient

Speaking of spelt--recently I was watching a cooking product show on QVC :ph34r: Ahem, anyway, the host made this statement when he was presenting a waffle maker--"if you're gluten intolerant, you could use spelt flour". I emailed him and very nicely explained about Celiac and gluten intolerance. I added that a person with a wheat *allergy* may be able to use spelt. Well, he responded to me and said that his wife was allergic to wheat, but always refers to herself as gluten intolerant. He thanked me for the information, and said that thanks to me, he wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Mango04 Enthusiast

A lot of ppl with gluten sensitivity think they can eat that E... bread. It's a common misconception.

It is true that for people without celiac or gluten sensitivity, the sprouted bread is much easier to digest.

lorka150 Collaborator

I know a lot of people (and by that, maybe about four) who eat wheat -free (not gluten-free) because they simply feel better. In addition, a lot of people know that spelt, kamut, quinoa, amaranth are all better for you nutritionally, than wheat.

cmom Contributor

I have a coworker whose husband also has celiac. One time she told me she bought him some really good bread and she would get me some if I liked. I told her sure. Long story short - when she brought it to me, it was spelt bread. I told her we can't have it and she said that her husband ate it all the time and the doctor (HIS GI DOCTOR) said it was fine! :ph34r:

Becky6 Enthusiast

I know that for a while they thought spelt was ok for celiacs. Not sure why but now it is a no-no and people still think it is ok.

LKelly8 Rookie

Spelt Raid

Here's an article on what the Feds think of "wheat free" spelt!

bluejeangirl Contributor

Being wheat free is a decision made by alot of people who want a healthy diet. I'll read alot of web sites about the paleolithic diet because it's very incouraging about the "dangerous wheat" grains along with other grain. I can see why people will stay away from it. Sprouted grain bread and sour doughs are sometimes chosen by those who follow this diet because it contains the right enzyems to take out the antinutrients wheat has that is bad for you. Something like pytic acid (can't remember) They're don't have the fears that celiacs have with wheat and I think they're probably incensitive to them. She was probably just trying to be nice.

gail

Guest nini

I forget where I read it, but one of the sites about the gluten-free diet specifically states that one of the dangers of learning the diet is "misinformation from Health food store employees" many health food store employees mistakenly believe that spelt or Ezekieal bread is safe for those on a gluten-free diet and continue to pass out this misinformation to so many of their custiomers. Many people unfortunately are gullible and don't question it. If a HFS employee said it IT MUST BE TRUE kind of mentality. I spend a LOT of time at my local HFS because I'm there doing mini massages trying to build up my business and you would not believe all of the misinformation I hear! Most of the HFS employees have never worked in a HFS before and really don't know anything about eating healthy other than what they are told by the customers! So, you get ONE person with bad information and it spreads like wild fire!

I do run into that very thing all the time, when I talk to people about Celiac or Gluten Intolerance and they say, "well yeah, but I can eat Spelt" or "But I eat Ezekial bread and it doesn't bother me" I just gently let them know that they don't have to be having symptoms for damage to be occurring IF they have Celiac... you should see the look of SHOCK on some of their faces! Especially the ones who tell me they have been dx'ec with Celiac and are eating spelt or ezekial bread... yep. it happens ALL the time.

scuze my typos haven't had all my coffee yet and have an ice pack on my shouldre...

Archived