This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quaker Rice Cakes

Mindy35

Mindy35 Apprentice

I think I am going crazy. Every time I think I find a food I can eat that isn't too bad for me I find out that I can't eat it!! Quaker rice cakes could be cross contaminated. I am really getting frustrated with this diet. The only thing I feel like is safe is drinking. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Mindy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Mindy--

Yes, it can be very frusterating! The only thing you can really do is move on and find a substitute. Lots of people like Lundberg Rice Cakes. Maybe try those if you have a Whole Foods nearby. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Try Lundberg rice cakes. They say gluten free on them, they're good and as far as I know they have no issues with cc.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

which rice cakes were contaminated?

For 8 years Ive lived on plain quakers rice cakes. I eat the chocolate ones every now and then (I get addicted) but Ive never encountered any problems. Although who knows? They may be cross contaminated and I never knew. Could explain why Im never feeling 100% well and have suffered quite a few serious attacks lately.

Did you call the company and ask them?

Please, if there info. can you share it? thanks!

Much appreciated,

Fellow Celiac

:)

VydorScope Proficient

Quaker has a very bad rep for all its rice cake being contiminated. I aviod that company completly.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have heard over and over that Quaker cant be trusted, but Quaker Caramel Corn Rice Cakes have been my one staple since day one. I have never been glutened by them. I did get glutened by their chocolate chip snack cakes, but even then I dont think I was glutened, I think it was a reaction to the soy and corn in them. I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years now and eat Quaker Rice Cakes every morning for breakfast--every morning. Deb

nettiebeads Apprentice
I think I am going crazy. Every time I think I find a food I can eat that isn't too bad for me I find out that I can't eat it!! Quaker rice cakes could be cross contaminated. I am really getting frustrated with this diet. The only thing I feel like is safe is drinking. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Mindy

I emailed them about 6 months ago. Their products are made in a facility that processes wheat and oats. They would NOT recommend their product for celiacs. I stopped eating them then and there.

Annette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I also had a CC issue with their products. I was eating their grits for a while, then whamo! did I get struck by gluten lightening! I now stay away from all their products

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Im always bloated after eating rice cakes. Now Im wondering if Ive been the victim of cross-contamination and never knew it.

Im so upset now. I have practically lived on these things since diagnosed, 78 years ago.

Does anyone have any recent/updated info about this? Or, a response from the company itself?

If so, can someone please post it?

You guys are great........

Erica

GravStars Contributor

After hearing Quaker rice cakes could be CC, I bought some Lundberg Rice Cakes the other day - they say gluten-free right on the package - and they taste great, much better than Quaker.

nettiebeads Apprentice
Im always bloated after eating rice cakes. Now Im wondering if Ive been the victim of cross-contamination and never knew it.

Im so upset now. I have practically lived on these things since diagnosed, 78 years ago.

Does anyone have any recent/updated info about this? Or, a response from the company itself?

If so, can someone please post it?

You guys are great........

Erica

Here you go (this email is from November 2005):

RE: Quaker Rice Cakes , REF.# 025522610A

Hello Annette:

Thank you for contacting us about Quaker Rice Cakes. We do our best to

provide accurate information so that you can make informed choices

about the products you purchase.

We are concerned for your health and want you to know that grains are

handled and transported in bulk by our suppliers. We understand that

individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts. It is

important we let you know that this product may contain trace amounts of

grains that may be grown, harvested or stored with other grains and we

cannot guarantee this product is gluten free.

We thank you for your interest in our products and hope this

information is helpful.

Amy

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I do not trust anything from that company due to cross contamination issues

eKatherine Rookie

I read the label on the store brand rice cakes I have been buying. It says they are produced in a facility where almonds, soy, and corn are processed, but does not give the manufacturer's name.

powderprincess Rookie

I am so glad I found you all before I have to start on the diet. I will know to avoid what I proably would have picked up. I would have eaten the Quaker cakes. Thank you!

schuyler Apprentice

No wonder I have not gotten better yet, I've been eating Quaker Rice Cakes multiple times a day. This is so frusterating!!! I do like the Lundberg rice cakes better; but because Quaker is cheaper, I've been buying those. At least I know now.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

thank you for your response!

i will now stay away from QO rice cakes. hopefully the lundberg will be better. i never ever even enjoyed the QO rice cakes anyway

:)

flagbabyds Collaborator

I eat the safeway ones, they are on their gluten-free list, i'm not a fan on the lunburg ones. in my opinion they just don't taste good and are very crunchy, and i still can't really chew yet...

I have safeway ones wih cheese... yummy.

• 9 months later...
Guest nickwoeb
Hi Mindy--

Yes, it can be very frusterating! The only thing you can really do is move on and find a substitute. Lots of people like Lundberg Rice Cakes. Maybe try those if you have a Whole Foods nearby. :)

I just got sick after eating some Lundberg "Gluten Free" rice cakes. I've heard that there is no government oversight of any company that claims to be "gluten free". I am very upset by companies advertising in this way just to boost sales and to satisfy people who are not celiac but like to eat gluten-free. I am celiac and I can tell you without hesitation that the Lundberg Rice Cakes that I ate were contaminated. I haven't felt this sick in a long time.

I think the best way to avoid contamination is just to avoid prepackaged food altogether. The farther away from an assembly line your food is -- the better. Of course that means you have to cook everything, which is what I do normally. I just thought I'd save some time by eating some rice cakes instead of going home to have lunch. What a mistake that was!

Nick :angry:

larry mac Enthusiast
Im always bloated after eating rice cakes. Now Im wondering if Ive been the victim of cross-contamination and never knew it.... I have practically lived on these things since diagnosed, 78 years ago.....

Erica

Dear E,

I'd say if you've been practically living on these things for 78 years with just some bloating, they must not be all that bad! I'm surprised they even had rice cakes in 1929.

best regards, lm

darlindeb25 Collaborator

We are never safe--doesn't matter what the company says, we are only as safe as the individuals doing the job. The only way something could be gluten free for sure is if it is produced in a comapny that NEVER has gluten in the building--THEN, we still can't be sure where they got the base products from in the first place.

Quaker Rice Cakes have never failed me. They have been a staple in my life for over 5 years now. I tried Lundberg Rice Cakes and found them disgusting, they tasted like stale popcorn! I emailed the company and complained that they do not even have an expiration date on the packages. I was informed that they have a code that tells when the product was produced and that they keep very well for 1 year! Well, that code means nothing to us, if we do not know how to figure it out. Then she told me she is sending me 2 bags of Rice Cakes to replace the bad ones I had. That is very nice and I will email and thank her, yet if they taste the same as before, I will feed them to the seagulls, if they will have them!

I have tried Shoprite brand too and they taste fine, yet they are so unstable and usually 1/2 of the bag is busted before you open them--so, I went back to my Quaker and have done just fine. I only eat them to have something to put my peanut butter on--maybe I will switch to apples and peanut butter!

Debbie65 Apprentice

I have a packet of Quakers Rice Cakes in front of me now that states "suitable for celiacs. " What

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Hi Deb :lol: nice name!!!!!!

There are those here who feel Quaker Rice Cakes can not be trusted. There are some who think they have been glutened by them. I have eaten them now for 5 1/2 years and never once had a problem. I am intolerant of so many things, yet these have never made me sick. I only eat the caramel corn rice cakes, never any of the others. I did eat the Cracker Jack ones for awhile, but have not in a very long time. In my opinion, Quaker Rice Cakes are perfectly safe for us--I have no reason to feel they aren't.

Deb

Debbie65 Apprentice

Yeah, Great name!!

I don

chrissy Collaborator

that statement from quaker oats sounds like a CYA statement, and it was made almost a year and a half ago. we (my kids) are always in danger of CC no matter what we do. i have avoided quaker rice cakes because i heard people say they weren't safe. but, now that i see the actual statement and see that deb has been eating them for that long without a problem, i think i may go ahead and buy them again.

Debbie65 Apprentice
that statement from quaker oats sounds like a CYA statement, and it was made almost a year and a half ago. we (my kids) are always in danger of CC no matter what we do. i have avoided quaker rice cakes because i heard people say they weren't safe. but, now that i see the actual statement and see that deb has been eating them for that long without a problem, i think i may go ahead and buy them again.

Sorry, probably being completely thick, but what is a CYA statement. I live in Mallorca and i

Archived