This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quaker Rice Cakes

Mindy35

larry mac Enthusiast
Sorry, probably being completely thick, but what is a CYA statement. I live in Mallorca and i

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Debbie65 Apprentice

LOL

Due to the fact that It

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I absolutely can not eat gluten and not know it. I get very ill, very quickly, when glutened. I can't speak for others, yet I know I have never been glutened by Quaker Caramel Corn Ricecakes--and this is the only flavor I eat.

Debbie, I would think that if you know when you are glutened at other times, then you would know if you have a problem with rice cakes.

Debbie65 Apprentice

It

chrissy Collaborator

getting your Ttg levels checked on a regular basis would tell whether or not you were getting damage even if you didn't have symptoms.

larry mac Enthusiast
getting your Ttg levels checked on a regular basis would tell whether or not you were getting damage even if you didn't have symptoms.

chrissy,

I'm interested in this idea and would like to see more discussion of it. This type of test seems to be all over the place with some people.

I'm having my first follow up visit on the 23th, and want to ask my doctor about it. I'm guessing I'll have an endoscopy for biopsy confirmation of my recovery (and hopefully villi returning to normal) at some point (a year?).

Would you mind if we start a new thread on this and get it away from Quaker rice cakes?

best regards, lm

chrissy Collaborator

good idea, larry. i have often wondered why people do so much guessing without follow up testing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
rippowam Newbie

Hi all-

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. Probably have had Celiac Sprue for a long, long time.

About 1/2 an hour ago, I had 2 Quaker Caramel Rice Cakes with peanut butter. Within FIVE MINUTES I was having a reaction in my guts (bloating, gas, pain, etc).

I'm not allergic to peanut butter (I've been tested), so I'm 99% sure that the Rice Cakes were/are contaminated.

Coincidentally, or not, I had two of the same Rice Cakes yesterday and also had a reaction (although I wasn't sure what it was).

So, here's my limited experience with Celiac....just because YOU don't have an "overt" reaction, doesn't mean you're NOT getting contaminated. I just did. They're off the list.

• 6 months later...
Photobug3 Newbie

As I sit here munching on my Peanut butter and chocolate rice cake I can tell you that they are very safe to eat! :D

I have been eating Quaker rice cakes since I was diagnosed and have never had a problem with them.

I eat the lightly salted, white cheddar, chocolate chip and peanut butter and chocolate and all are good! :)

I also get HORRIBLE symptoms very quickly after being glutened.

Lisa Mentor
As I sit here munching on my Peanut butter and chocolate rice cake I can tell you that they are very safe to eat! :D

I have been eating Quaker rice cakes since I was diagnosed and have never had a problem with them.

I eat the lightly salted, white cheddar, chocolate chip and peanut butter and chocolate and all are good! :)

I also get HORRIBLE symptoms very quickly after being glutened.

Here you go (this email is from November 2005):

RE: Quaker Rice Cakes , REF.# 025522610A

Hello Annette:

Thank you for contacting us about Quaker Rice Cakes. We do our best to

provide accurate information so that you can make informed choices

about the products you purchase.

We are concerned for your health and want you to know that grains are

handled and transported in bulk by our suppliers. We understand that

individuals sensitive to gluten cannot digest even trace amounts. It is

important we let you know that this product may contain trace amounts of

grains that may be grown, harvested or stored with other grains and we

cannot guarantee this product is gluten free.

We thank you for your interest in our products and hope this

information is helpful.

Even though this is a 2005 response, it speaks for itself. It would be good to receive current information.

AnneM Apprentice

I eat them and have had no problems with them and i am very sensitive to gluten, but i only eat the carmel corn ones, don't know about the other flavors.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well, here it is Jan 2008, I have been gluten-free now for 7 1/2 yrs. My gluten reactions have now become severe neurological reactions--I was glutened last week by a medication, it wasn't pretty. I still eat Quaker Caramel Corn Rice Cakes every morning for breakfast with Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter and have never, ever been glutened by them. I honestly think if I had been, I would know. I have tried several other brands, Lundberg being one. I have never found a brand I like as well. All other brands fall apart. There are a few, taste wise, can compare to Quaker, although, I honestly am not thrilled about ricecakes anyways, like I said, I eat them to have something to put my peanut butter on. Breads are too heavy for me. I do not like Lundberg, store brands that do state gluten-free, usually fall apart before you leave the store, and most of the others are so high priced, I just do not find them worth the cost. So, I stay with my Quaker, until I do get glutened by them, they remain my friend.

Jodi Mills Apprentice
After hearing Quaker rice cakes could be CC, I bought some Lundberg Rice Cakes the other day - they say gluten-free right on the package - and they taste great, much better than Quaker.

I live on quaker rice cakes, but never feel 100%. maybe the cc is my problem. Where do ya'll get the Lundberg rice cakes? I have never seen them anywhere. I am in Fayetteville, NC and there really isnt all that many places for me to shop for gluten free food here.

Takala Enthusiast
I live on quaker rice cakes, but never feel 100%. maybe the cc is my problem. Where do ya'll get the Lundberg rice cakes? I have never seen them anywhere. I am in Fayetteville, NC and there really isnt all that many places for me to shop for gluten free food here.

Because Lundberg is grown and made in CA, they are available everywhere in normal groceries for us, however, after searching a bit around the web for health food stores in the Fayetteville area, I really feel for you !

I did find a really, really cool website for gluten-free people in North Carolina, it is the Triangle Gluten Intolerance Group's, and they do list on their page all sorts of shopping resources in your state. There is, according to them, several Whole Foods markets up in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area. I know Whole Foods, if you go to their website and search for stores in each state, has listed on some locations what gluten-free items they carry.

You could also, if that is out of your driving range, try ordering the Lundberg rice cakes from Amazon dot com, go to there and do a search for "lundberg rice cake." (hmmm, now that I look, that's a lot cheaper than what I've been paying....)

Lisa Mentor

I am not in your area of the state, but you can find Lunberg rice cakes at Farm Fresh and some updated Food Lions.

Here is a "warm" site where you can find a local contact who can direct you to covenient stores in the Fayetteville/Jacksonville area.

Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular
good idea, larry. i have often wondered why people do so much guessing without follow up testing.

because plenty of us didn't have clear test results the first time. makes it hard to expect anything from followup tests. :/

for those that did have clear tests, however, followup testing is a good idea if they find that they can't figure out if they are doing better or not.

Jodi Mills Apprentice
Because Lundberg is grown and made in CA, they are available everywhere in normal groceries for us, however, after searching a bit around the web for health food stores in the Fayetteville area, I really feel for you !

I did find a really, really cool website for gluten-free people in North Carolina, it is the Triangle Gluten Intolerance Group's, and they do list on their page all sorts of shopping resources in your state. There is, according to them, several Whole Foods markets up in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham area. I know Whole Foods, if you go to their website and search for stores in each state, has listed on some locations what gluten-free items they carry.

You could also, if that is out of your driving range, try ordering the Lundberg rice cakes from Amazon dot com, go to there and do a search for "lundberg rice cake." (hmmm, now that I look, that's a lot cheaper than what I've been paying....)

Thank You soo much, I am going to try amazon dot com. It seems to me that the west coast is alot better off than the east, when I lived in washington there was a whole bunch of places to shop, Here in fayetetville, i am limited to Mediteranian stores, and most of there stuff isnt in english, so its a little hard to get what I need. But I am struggling through it, and get super excited when I find things I can have. Like at Walmart the other day, I get depressed when grocery shopping, I found some gluten free noodles! I was so excited I almost started crying, My bf thinks I am a nutcase....Thank You!!!

cruelshoes Enthusiast

If you want a rice cake-like experience that is definitely gluten-free, try corn thins. They are made out of corn but are like a rice cake. I like them so much better than regular rice cakes, and they are marked gluten-free on the package.

Open Original Shared Link

kevsmom Contributor

My local Safeway store carries Lundburg Rice Cakes. Sometimes they even have them on sale.

VioletBlue Contributor

Well that sucks! Safeway owns Vons if I remember right. The local Vons does not carry Lundberg. I'm one of those that reacts to Quaker rice cake products. The local organic store carries only one flavor of the Lundberg. So it's that or nothing around here.

My local Safeway store carries Lundburg Rice Cakes. Sometimes they even have them on sale.
Lisa Mentor

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:15:28 +0000

RE: Quaker Snacks , REF.# 026347729A

Lisa:

We understand your desire for products which are gluten free. We feel it is

important for you to know that we cannot guarantee any of our grain products,

including Quaker Rice Cakes, to be gluten free. Even though gluten is not

present in any of the ingredients, the grains in this product could be grown,

harvested, or stored with other gluten-containing grains and thus may contain

trace amounts of gluten from those other grains. It may seem minor, but many

individuals sensitive to gluten cannot tolerate even small amounts.

We're sorry that we could not be more helpful to you, Lisa. Your interest in our

products is appreciated.

Jennifer

Quaker Consumer

....HOT off the press. Sounds like it may be trial and error and an indiviual choice.

• 10 months later...
alba Newbie

has anyone tried mothersnatural rice cakes?? I know they are distributed by quaker oats but... they really seem like a different company, and I've been eating them for a while (I didn't know that "quaker problem" yet) with no secondary effects... so I guess they are probably right.

I have to say that I prefer those to the Lundberg just because of the calories (yes I'm strugling with a weight problem too!!) a Lundberg cake has 70 calories, while a mothersnatural just 35 ...

so... what do you think??? should I stop eating them? anyone had any problems with them??

thank you!

alba.

Archived