25 replies to this topic

#1 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:38 PM

Hello my name is Lindsey and im 15 and I was diagonosed 3 months ago with celiac and i have lactose and intolernt too and i've been i the diet for 3 months .People say that u will learn more about it as u go on and im not well I am but as of food wise I am totally clueless all I eat is chicken(chicken sandwiches) and steak and veggies and I am getting tired of it .I dont know whats save and what isnt .I looked up stuff on the internet and got sick so i dont really feel confortable looking stuff up when i dont know if i can trust it. I ordered a book but it never came yet .Im like so close to cheating or just saying heck with the diet but I cant beacuse I cant go back to the condition I was in when I wouldnt even eat anythingand was sick everyday .If you Have any ideas of foods that are not veggies and chicken it would be a great help thanks lyndszai

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

hi lindsey im also 15 and about 3 months ago i self diagnosed my self. i know its hard some times it gets really boring eating the same stuff over and over again. if you would like to email me you can my email address is pippigirl32@hotmail.com that is also my msn sn or if you would like to talk feel free to email or im me i would love to help you out the best i can.

julianne
Julianne

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:58 PM

Hi Lindsey, welcome!

I know this diet can be VERY frustrating and overwhelming at times but hang in there, it will get easier! Here are some helpful links, I suggest printing them out and putting it a notebook, especially the Safe and Forbidden food and ingredients and take them to the store with you when you shop for your food.

http://www.clanthomp...info_lists.php3

Mainstream gluten-free products

http://homepage.mac..../GFfoodlist.pdf

How active are your parents in helping you deal with this disease? If they allow you to order things online here are some places that have great gluten-free food in case they don't carry them in your local grocery or health food store. A lot of times the stores will order items for you if they know you will buy from them.

http://www.kinnikinnick.com/ - awesome bread, bagles, english muffins and cinnamon buns!

http://www.glutenfreepantry.com/ - awesome brownies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Also take a look around the recipe section, there are some very simple recipes that you could make for yourself.

Please do not give up, your health is worth much more than that, you do not want to intentionally harm your body! Keep posting and ask questions, that is what we are here for. Take care and feel free to email me any time!

Take care

#4 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:49 PM

hello joemoe thanks i will email u .

Hello jhmon thanks for all the links im looking at them now they are very helpful.As for my parents I will asking them about ordering the stuff.My mom belives and understands celiac but my dad he thinks it is something i will grow out and doesnt want to except it but hes getting better .Hes actually comming around hes giving mom tips now on not to leave the gulten things near my things. He'll get use to it soon like he will buy me all my gluten-free free stuff he just doesnt want me to miss out on things.Im trying my best to hang in my friends are really surportive so it helps . thanks

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

I think the first thing I'd go for is rice, and rice noodles. there are so many things that you can make - salads (I'm big on bean salads during the warm months...) and one pot dishes (like chili, and stir fries) and desserts like peanut butter on apples... Keep reading around here (I posted recently a big long list of the types of food I've been having recently), and don't give up. (There's a great, easy muffin recipe on the back of the package for Bob's Red Mill Soy Flour.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:15 AM

Hi Lindsey - hang in there honey...I know you can do it! This is your chance to show the world (and your parents) how grown-up you are- you have been given a chance to change your health for the better, and you know that it's important and will make you feel better. Start by taking control of what you eat - don't depend on your parents or others to prepare your foods or shop for you. With their consent and support, you should start making lists of meals and foods you like and are safe and then you should go find the foods at local stores or order online. Use the links from jhmom's post above, and spend some time looking around this site -
Be strong - you'll get there!
Sara
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#7 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

tarnalberry
I have been on some rice things like rice bread (bascially for the last 3 months )made chicken sandwiches I think I hate chicken now lol ,rice spagetti (I dont like that stuff) .Our grocery store has a few things but not many so im going to see if I can order stuff on the internet .Im going to try a salad today although I dislike it I have to get use to the things I dont like now.I am going to look for more rice things tonight im gonna do some more research and try to get some things tonight.
thanks

GFdoc
I hope I can stick with it but when I have really bad days I just feel like giving up and those days are comming more and more but i know it's important to stick with it . I do take control I make all my meals and try to make up list but am not that sucessful I usually end up with chicken.Im going ot the grocery store tonight to look for more things .

What type of things do your guys eat in a typical day?
thanks

#8 GFdoc

GFdoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

breakfast is Rice twice cereal by Erewon or a granola bar by EnerG

Lunch is hard - sometimes I make tortilla wrap sandwiches (I make my own tortillas and keep them in the fridge), sometimes a frozen gluten-free meal by Amy's meals, risotto or other rice dish,

snacks are gluten-free pretzels, nuts, fruit, fruit leathers (from Trader Joes - only some flavors are gluten-free), granola bar by EnerG

dinner is fish/meat/chicken and a side of rice/potatoes/gluten-free pasta and veggies or fruit. Sometimes I treat myself to gluten-free ravioli (from Dietary Specialties - it's great, but pricey). I don't eat bread with dinner anymore - you'll get used to it after awhile and won't even miss it very often- it's empty calories in my mind now.

Desserts are strawberries dipped in chocolate, gluten-free brownies (Gluten Free Pantry's are the best), fruit sorbet (with M &Ms on top!), Smores made with gluten-free graham crackers
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#9 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:22 PM

Hey Lundszai:
Think gluten-free substitution, not deprivation. There are MANY safe gluten free choices from which you can prepare meals and snacks. Please refer to the topic "Bored with Gluten Free Foods" under the Section "Gluten Free Foods, Products, Shopping and Meds". I (Burdee) and Tarnalberry posted long lists of safe gluten-free foods and combinations which work for us for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I posted in response to someone who was bored with meats, vegies and starch meals. So I included a lot of nonmeat protein sources as well as a dairy free list. Tarnalberry listed choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I don't eat specific foods for specific meals, so you can use my suggestions for whichever meals you like.

Gluten Free eating does not have to be boring, just careful and mostly healthier choices. Enjoy! :D
Burdee

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#10 JeninWI

JeninWI

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 04:10 PM

(I make my own tortillas and keep them in the fridge)

Hi there,

I would love to have a recipe for gluten-free tortillas. Care to share?

Thanks!
Jen

New member as of 6/12
Just went gluten-free this week and feel better already!
Self-diagnosed so far, but will be taking tests from Enterolab soon.

#11 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:20 PM

Amy's Frozen food is what I eat when we have nothing else in the house. they are very simple to make and we always have them in our freezer. my favorite gluten-free one is either the mac & cheese and the shepards pie. they are very comforting food but also very different from homemade gluten-free food. They say if they are gluten-free on the box so you don't even have to call them. I find not following what normal people eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner works better for me. I eat what i want to eat not what a normal breakfast is.
Molly

#12 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

How do they make gluten-free macaroni? That is an interesting one. Will have to check it out. thanks. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#13 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:03 PM

it is made with rice noodles and they are great for kids because it has orange cheese just like the regular orange macaroni
Molly

#14 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Molly. I love mac and cheese with hot dogs. I use Shelton free range hot dogs with no preservitives. Will have to add this to it when I find some. May check the Whole Foods Market on Monday when I'm out of town and see if they carry it. Hugs, Carol B

#15 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:09 PM

I just realized you said Amy's meals. My local stores probably hav it. I'll look. Thanks again. Hugs, Carol B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: