• 58 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

hi guys thanks for your reply .Thanks for all the info its very helpful

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

I liked Amy's frozen veggie lasagna. It was surprisingly good! I bought the mac and cheese, cheese enchilada, and a rice bowl, that I haven't tried yet. I found these in my local store, one that has a pretty good health food section.

I'm really lazy about cooking, so hope to like these frozen meals.

Lyndszai, keep trying! I've made some mistakes and paid for them, too. But, it just makes me try harder! I've only been at this for 2 1/2 weeks! I do feel better when I eat right, so I can tell the difference.

Nita

#18 khyricat

khyricat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:11 AM

our meijers doesn't have a lot, but they do have the amy's meals.. thanks guys- I can still do frozen dinners for work if I don't have time to cook and pack a lunch! Once I actually go gluten-free that is.. I was going to, but talking to the doc, they want me to wait until after they do another test. I am assuming that is the biopsy but she didnt' want to tell me about it on the phone.

#19 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

I made a mistake yesterday i didnt mean too ,I dont even know what I made a mistake on I think that I cross contaminated my food caz as far as I can see nothing had gulten in it but when u make mistakes does it do alot of damage like am i back at square one again?

#20 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

I don't think you're back to the very beginning - it can take years for the full amount of damage to develop. It's a set back, sure, but one accident... I don't see any reason to worry about being back at the starting gate of this.

Try not to worry too much - accidents happen even when we try really hard. It's best to do what you can to avoid them, but once they happen, they've happened, and the most we can do is ride out the symptoms, and figure out how we might avoid doing it again in the future. (And sometimes the answer to that question is "I have NO IDEA!!!", and that's ok.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:14 PM

Hi Lindsey,
Obviously, the only reason we're all on gluten-free diets is because we don't want to run into complictions like cancer in the long term. However, having "short-term" symptoms helps a lot. It takes a long time, but your symptoms will start to go away. It could take a year, but eventually they'll go away and then you're free from them for life. Having symptoms helps us, because first, it gives us good reason to stay on the diet (not getting sick), and second, in the future (once you're better), it's an indicator if you ate something with gluten...etc.

You're not at square one. About 5 or 6 weeks in, I made a stupid mistake. I was on vacation, and I had a gluten-free cereal similar to frosted flakes. Before heading to the mountain to ski, I went back grabbed a box, and took a handful of REGULAR CORN FLAKES that my brother had...I realized it half-way through eating them, and spit what I had in my mouth out. That, too, was unintentional. It didn't set me back; I never even got sick from it...don't worry about it...stress and worry is your worst enemy in making progress.

As for getting used to it and learning more about it...I've been on the diet for...maybe 19 weeks (about 5 months...wow, the time has past quickly). At first, I had no idea what to eat, and actually, thought that as long as it didn't say "wheat", "oats", "rye", "barley", etc. (one of the basic ingredients), it was guaranteed to be safe. Therefore, I made numerous mistakes in the first 1-2 weeks "on diet". I would still be doing that, today, and still getting symptoms, but I wanted to learn more about it. Read books on dealing with the diet, and most importantly, read these boards--I've learned so much here and when you have questions about something, it's easy to get a quick response. If you try hard to educate yourself about celiac disease, you'll consider yourself an expert in no time.

You said that you don't really know what you can and can't eat. First, I'll just backtrack to the basics...much of which you might already know. Obviously, wheat, rye, barley, and possibly oats (oats are debatable) have gluten. Then, of course, there are other ingredients like malt, dextrin (unless it's made with corn), and many others. For a full list, look at Celiac.com's list: List of Forbidden Ingredients. To get there, and access lists of safe ingredients, etc., go to Celiac.com's site index. I typed up the list in tiny font so it was the size of a business card (front and back), and then laminated it, so if I ever question an ingredient (which I rarely do now), I can check if it's gluten-free. It is helpful because ingredients can be confusing. For example, malt is bad, dextrin can be bad, but maltodextrin is fine. Wheat is bad, but buckwheat is fine; that sort of thing. Of course, nine times out of ten you need to call the company to check if it's gluten-free. This is because natural and artificial flavorings CAN contain gluten, but don't always. They are in everything. One little note: Kraft says that all their colorings and flavorings are fine unless they write "wheat" or something like that in parentheses.

As for quitting, don't...after all, what do you acheive by going back to a diet of gluten. You eat normal food--with a feeling of guilt, knowing that it's destorying your small intestine. You get symptoms just as bad as they are now -- or worse. You retrogress into your previous state -- you started to heal and then you'd mess it up again. And, in the long term, you'd get cancer or osteoporosis and lead a miserable end of your life... :P Stick with it for another month or two at least...you'll see progress...and don't focus on whether or not your symptoms go away or stay. Look at the severity of them. You'll see that they either become less and less frequent, or they become less and less harsh. One more thing, a nutritionist that works with Dr. Greene (that famous adult Celiac doctor in NYC...aka she knows what she's talking about) warned that symptoms may even get worse before they get better...just don't give up hope.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling: now I'll move to some food suggestions:

- Cookies: try Pamela's Products -- the BEST cookies. The lemon shortbread are decent, but some people find them too strong a lemony taste. However, try the Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookies. They are AMAZING!!! Even including regular cookies, they are the best store-bought I've ever had.

- Cookies: if your mom has 15 minutes to spare, have her make peanut butter cookies. Very good...even my aunt who hates PB liked them. Preparation time is about five minutes and the recipe calls for 10 min. baking -- it might take 15. All you need is 2 cups of PB (Skippy or Jif), 2 cups of sugar, and 1 egg (this is also good because there aren't any weird gluten-free flours and stuff...where do you buy those things?).

- Fruits/Vegetables/Meat: I eat so much more fruit now...apples, bannanas, strawberries, blueberries, canned mandarine oranges, canned peaches, etc. You're probably "chickened" out, but don't forget steak, pork, hamburgers, etc....no fresh meat is excluded. Fish are gluten-free, too, of course.

- Bread: People will say Knikinick or whatever, but I've found Ener-G to have a great bread...that's what I use...make your pick.

- Pizza: probably thought you'd never have that again. Get Chebe (you can only get it online), but buy the bread mix, not the pizza crust (the bread mix turns out better). Follow the instructions, mush it out into a round "thing", bake as instructed, and then add sauce (Classico is good), and gluten-free cheese. It's terriffic. By the way, you can get the Chebe at http://www.chebe.com. Try it...the shipping is free and once you realize that you like it, you can buy it in bulk and get discounts.

- Raisins, Quaker Rice Cakes, most things by Frito Lays (not Doritos), you can have: Lays Potato Chips, Wavy Lays Potato Chips, Cheetos, Fritos, etc. By the way, most soft drinks are gluten-free including all kinds (diet, caffeine free, etc.) of Coke, Sprite, Sunkist, Pepsi, etc. I haven't checked with the other companies. There are many gluten-free candies...I actually made a post under the "Teenagers Only Section" for gluten-free candies...check there for the complete list that Gf4Life provided.

- Genisoy Bars: good for high-fat snacks, and on-the-go meals...only two flavors are gluten-free: A honey Creamy PB Yogurt, which isn't the best, and Southern Style Chunky PB, which tastes like candy...it's great.

- If you don't want to bother to make your own Mac and Cheese and want it the quick way like you may have had it back in the day...the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese SAUCE PACKET is gluten-free. Then use your own gluten-free noodles (such as DeBoles), and you have a quick lunch.

- Foods By George: set a high-standard for gluten-free foods. Their brownies...to die for, especially when you heat them up and put gluten-free icecream (Haggen Dasz: strawberry, vanilla, chocolate...anything except for the obvious, like cookie dough) on them. Also amazing, their corn muffins...heat them up, smother them in butter, and I literally checked the box again to make sure they were gluten-free after I took the first bite.

Oops, I completely forgot that you were also lactose-free. For lactose free icecream that's also gluten-free, try Organic Soy Delicious...it tastes pretty good. The gluten-free brownies from Foods By George are gluten-free, wheat-free, lactose-free, casein-free, dairy-free, and soy-free...fine for anybody... :-)

Got to go for now, but good luck. Try to get your parents to understand, cause unhelpful relatives who don't get it can mess you up...that's good that your father's starting to get it. The worst thing is having people who don't get it: either think what's the big deal or why are you eating this way. Once again, good luck; I hope this post is helpful. Most of all, don't quit...

-celiac3270

#22 Queen Serenity

Queen Serenity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:40 AM

Hi, all!
This topic started to discuss health and beauty products, so here is a tip. When going to the hair salon, please bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Everything in a hair salon contains some form of wheat. I had a bad experience with a wheat based shampoo. The reaction I had was a burning sensation on my scalp. It took days to heal! I also noticed that a lot of teenagers are asking questions about Celiac's. Listen, you'll do fine. Be grateful you were diagnosed early. I have had mine now for 9 1/2 years, and I am 37. There was always something wrong with me for a lot of years. No one knew about Celiac's, or even to test for it. Now, even with three kids, I feel good. I have energy and have a healthy diet. I hope you all make good adjustments to the diet. Good Luck! :)

#23 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

I am also lactose intolerant, but I have heard that if I remain gluten-free and my symptoms abade I might be able to slowly "wean" myself back onto moderate amounts of lactose. This makes sense to me because basically the damage caused by the gluten (protein chains) has caused my guts to cease functioning properly in many different respects. I'm hopeful anyway, but in the meanwhile options are pretty limited. Right now I'm enjoying one of my favorite treats, Guacamole with corn chips! Hey, I can afford to spoil myself with the few luxuries I can still eat, right? ;)

#24 cybergran10

cybergran10

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:10 AM

I have been able to add small amounts of dairy to my diet with out any ill effects. So I think you may be right. I think sometimes you get a hold of something that has been cross contiminated with gluten no matter how careful you are. I did that last saturday and boy did I ever pay for it. All you can do is try to make sure you prepare your own food as much as you can. Have a great day, Cybergran10

#25 chefjaimegarcia

chefjaimegarcia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:43 PM

hey lindsey, here's a simple recipie for ceviche (seafood salsa)

2 ea. Tomatoes (diced)
1/2 Onion (diced)
3 T. Cilantro(chopped)
1ea. Serrano/or jalapeno(minced seeds removed)
1 cup Lemon Juice
1 lb. Fresh white fish(chopped, snapper, mahi, or grouper)
tortilla chips(i like tostitos rounds, any corn chip or tostada will do)

Method: Soak the fish in lemon juice for at least 2 hours up to 4 in refridgerator.
Once the fish "cooks" in the lemon juice it will look porcelin white, then drain the fish in a colander over the sink, press with your hand untill all excess juice is drained.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add salt to taste.
Sread over tostadas or use it like a dip for your favorite corn chip!

it will keep under refridgeration for up to two days.

I hope this dish will give you a delicious break from chicken. athough i have a ton of gluten-free/wf chicken recipies. i'm in the process of writing a gluten-free/wf cookbook with easy recipies so that people like yourself with a limited diet can enjoy a better quality of life through the joys of food! I wish you the best. Buen Apetito!
chefjaimegarcia

#26 dianne

dianne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:24 AM

Lindsey,

Gluten Free Pantry has items which are lactose-free, in addition to gluten-free. You could get some gluten-free/LF mayonnaise, and make egg salad. Also, there are some shelf-stable microwave entrees (MY Own Meals), which are lactose free. I suggest you go to the Gluten Free Pantry website http://www.gluten free.com, and get a catalog. You can order by mail, or online. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: