5 replies to this topic

#1 Mabc

Mabc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi, I'm still very new to this. I've been gluten free (as far as I know - I'm still learning) for 6 days (except for I found out the nuts I was eating the first 3 days were packaged at a place that also processes wheat.) Today I went out and ended up without food for hours with someone else controlling the situation because I wasn't driving and I got too hungry and ended up eating a hamburger, bun and all. I'm trying so hard to stick this out to see if my symptoms improve, so I'm really disappointed I didn't plan better.

Since I don't know if I have celiac yet, I wanted to ask if getting a sore throat and headache right after I ate could be related to the gluten. Thanks so much for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

Yes, the headache and sore throat could definitely come from being glutened. Those are two symptoms I get as well.

Take it as a learning experience. It's hard to do it perfectly at the beginning, and after years of just leaving the house without much planning, it takes a while to remember that you can't just pop into a burger place to eat. You'll get the hang of it!

Next time, just order the burger without the bun, though. It isn't perfect, as you could get cross-contamination. But then in frustration to eat the bun, too, will just backfire.

I have asked for just a burger without the bun before, and when I explained that absolutely no bread can touch it, and if the person making it could please wash his/her hands, and put on clean gloves before preparing it, I ended up being fine. Most places will try hard to keep you safe (no guarantee, though). They'll cooperate better if you let them know that you realize you're taking a risk, and as long as they do their best, you won't sue them if you get glutened.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Kaycee

Kaycee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

I don't so much get a sore throat, but a couple of times I have noticed when I eat gluten I get a cough, probably through an irritated throat, and at times my nose gets a bit congested. As a result it feels like I am catching a cold, but it only lasts for about an hour.
Cathy

#4 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:30 AM

I will sometimes get swollen glands in my neck the next morning, actually I'll feel it coming on during the night. I just expirenced this when I tried including oats back into my diet. I felt ok eating a small amount but then being alittle over enthusiastic I ate oatmeal cookies too many I'm afraid, I got the swollen gland thing. I think it was an overload to my immune system., I guess that's why celiacs catch alot of colds etc.
;)
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#5 Mabc

Mabc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

Oh, thanks so much. I'm hoping that this will finally be a way I can have some control over my symptoms. I haven't noticed a great improvement yet, but if the sore throat could be caused by it, then maybe some of my other symptoms will go away over time.

I appreciate the help thanks so much.

#6 Swingin' Celiac

Swingin' Celiac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:56 PM

Hey I'm also a newbie (sorta-2 months) with sore throat as a symptom. That's actually what triggered the long chain of events that led to my diagnosis. However, because I don't think I've eaten anything with gluten in it since going gluten-free I don't really know for sure if it's an actual reaction to the gluten. My throat just has this weird chronic nagging dull discomfort kinda thing goin' on so it's probably not the same with you, but I definitely agree, and so does my GI, that gluten can induce a sore throat for some with celiac disease. One question though--did you used to get sore throats (unrelated to colds) alot prior to your diagnosis? If not, it might just be some fluke thing or an allergy. Who knows for sure?
Gluten-free foods taste better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: