This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help With This Constipation

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Okay...was diagnosed last week...so about a week gluten free. Always had the more constipation end of things. Already had quit wheat for two years, but not gluten. Am vegan too, have been for two years, vegetarian for 20 years before that. Needless to say, no iron or B12 in this girl.

Anyway, now I am having this most ridiculous poop - it is like sawdust and super hard to get out - to the point of causing me to bleed. I am going to eat some figs today (high fiber) and probaby buy some prunes or something...does anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

It seems to me that your diet is already too high in fiber, and too low in fats. You need to drink lots (and prune juice would be a good idea, as well as lots of water). You should also eat more fat. By the way, I find I get VERY constipated when I don't get enough protein! And I am talking animal protein here, not beans, they make things worse. If I don't eat enough meat I get constipated without fail (and that's me, for some people the opposite would be true, as not everybody has the same dietary needs, we're all different).

Unfortunately, I am talking saturated fat here, which is mostly NOT vegetarian. But one excellent saturated fat, that is VERY healthy is cold pressed coconut oil. Also, try eating avocados, they're high in fat as well. Iron deficiency isn't helpful, either. What is being done about that?

By the way, if you're deficient in B12 for too long (and your stores will run out completely in the end on a vegan diet), you will first go blind (not reversible), and then die. Wouldn't it be better to eat at least eggs again? They're very high in B12.

Green12 Enthusiast
Okay...was diagnosed last week...so about a week gluten free. Always had the more constipation end of things. Already had quit wheat for two years, but not gluten. Am vegan too, have been for two years, vegetarian for 20 years before that. Needless to say, no iron or B12 in this girl.

Anyway, now I am having this most ridiculous poop - it is like sawdust and super hard to get out - to the point of causing me to bleed. I am going to eat some figs today (high fiber) and probaby buy some prunes or something...does anyone have any ideas?

What works for me fast is Magnesium supplementation, I take 1 capsule of Magnesium Citrate with each meal at times of C. Also the fresh juice of 1/2 a lemon squeezed into a glass of hot water gets things going. Watermelon, honeydew, fruits with a high water content also get the job done for me.

plantime Contributor

It sounds to me like you've had too much fiber and not enough liquid. Drink lots of fruit juices with no pulp. You might have to try an enema to break up the solid mass and flush it out.

mamaw Community Regular

I never saw mag citrate in a capsule, I always just drank the liquid!!!!!! I've tried tons of things and very seldom does anything cause an eruption for me.........I had tests run to make sure I didn't have a blockage or a tumor and they end up with your just one of those people who are naturally consipated... Yea !!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

mamaw

jenvan Collaborator

I also had C for years...after being gluten-free for several months it got better though. Basic things first--NO gluten at all...in meds, food etc. Second, exercise, drink water, eat a healthy, varied diet. Third--I have been through the ringer with constipation "solutions" and psyllium is still my favorite. Relying on laxatives or cleanese is harmful for the body. Psyllium is safe and effective. It also works better than a laxative, IMO, b/c it actually pulls out old stool from your body. You can buy natural psyllium at a natural food store. For me it has worked better than a synthetic fiber like Citricel. You could try Metamucil, which has psyllium in it. If you are really interested, I can give you info on my favorite psyllium combo. Also, as mentioned, magnesium supplements can help loosen things up too. Warning on those--too much and you end up with gas and/or D.

I think there is a great chance things will improve for you on the diet! Like I said, I had C for years and have improved greatly from being gluten-free. (and using the psyllium off and on when needed).

momandgirls Enthusiast

Metamucil is 100% psyllium fiber. I have to take it three times a day (and have for years) but it works really well for me. Next time you have blood drawn, you might want to ask the doc to add in a protein and B12 level. That way, you know for sure what your diet is deficient in and then you know what you should be eating more of...just a thought. Will your health insurance cover a visit with a nutritionist?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

barbara3675 Rookie

Adding some fish oil gel tabs really works for me if I get constipated....I also take lots of magnesium all the time and then of course eating gluten-free. YOu have to find the combination that works for you. Barbara

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Thanks to everyone. I realized that when I described myself as an eater, I used the old abbreviated version I use to protect myself from someone feeding me chicken stock or cheese or something. Actually, I eat salmon/halibut and eggs, but no other animals, and no dairy. Oh yeah, I actually added ghee, clarified butter, back to my diet a month or so ago. So the B12 deficiency is absorption related, and I'm taking under-the-tongue B12 pills and did get one shot. I'm going to call the doc on Monday and say I'm still phenomenally tired and ridiculously stupid (did this brain fog thing drive anyone else nuts?).

I spent years with C and then it got entirely better when I quit wheat, dairy, and potatoes two years ago. In fact, other than being tired and itchy and full of canker sores, I had no obvious symptoms when I asked for a Celiac test last week - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't killing myself with spelt toast. Now I have the constipation again. My diet the past few days has been mostly protein, with not very many vegetables. I'm trying to figure out how to have some stuff ready for myself to eat since making veggies and rice or whatever three times a day is a pain.

Again, thanks for all your advice, everyone. I'm going to try the psyllium thing for sure, and I think I even have some magneseum in this house someplace - an old doc gave to me for getting rid of parasites.

You guys are awesome.

key Contributor

I have this problem too. For me though, it is more IBS related. Before going gluten free I would go back and forth between C and D. Now mostly C. So Psyllium just seems to tear my stomach up and give me bloating and pain. If I eat too much fiber I am in trouble. THe thing that helps me the most is drinking citrucel twice a day. It is frustrating, because I don't like that nasty orange stuff, but I can't seem to go off of it. I have tried just eating fiber such as prunes, apples and flaxseeds ground. I have tried magnesium, etc. I am very frustrated with myself right now though. I seem to be all messed up and sick all the time. I seem to have either heartburn, Constipation, nausea, gas and bloating (very miserable kind). I hate my digestive system. I too am vegetarian, but haven't given up dairy completely. It has been a year for me and I am still trying to figure out what does and doesn't agree with me.

The thing about fats is interesting. I need to be totally dairy free and see what happens. I am just tired of being sick.

Ok, sorry. Just thought I would add that citrucel works good if you have IBS-C. I do exercise everyday and drink tons of water. Up until this past year I never ever had a problem. I don't know what happened to me.

Monica

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Yeah, I have been diagnosed as IBS since I was a teenager, and they always tried to get me to take Metamucil or something like that. Well, I always have been a rebel, and thought a natural food that God/nature invented must be better - but it wasn't until two years ago I finally got the whole thing under control. Here's what I did.

1. went to Ayurvedic doctor. We have a good one in Bellevue, WA named Dr. Sodhi. He gave me a diet specific to what he read about my health through a thorough questionairre, and a type of pulse reading (it sounds nuts, but this guy is good!). He had me remove garlic, anything pickled, dairy, wheat, corn, soy, peanut (all the common allergins, really). - note, didn't quit dairy/wheat at this time.

2. quitting garlic made HUGE difference in the bloating gas. I know what you mean about bloat - I would go up three pants sizes, and go into the bathroom at work and just sit there rocking and crying - nothing to be done - or wake up in the middle of the night and literally crawl to the bathroom and do the same thing. Mind you, being in the bathroom made no difference since it was all C and gas and no action...but it seemed like the thing to do. So bloating was reduced, gas was reduced greatly by quitting garlic. My mother, it turns out, has this sameproblem.

3. every time I would quit something, I'd figure out that there was something else too - so even though I might feel better in one way, I'd notice other stuff.

4. FINALLY two years ago quit wheat and dairy. Was mostly cured of C and nausea and anxiety attacks. My poop was still weird, though..... (If I would cheat on dairy, I would get C the next poop.) (although now, I've added ghee, which is clarified butter.)

5. quit potatoes and poop normalized.

So now I've been diagnosed Celiac (I asked for the test to make sure I wasn't offing myself with spelt toast, which it turns out I have been). Now quitting oatmeal, which i ate a lot of.

I found fiber was ultra important - but I've also read for IBS that insoluable fiber is not friendly - you want soluable fiber. And if you do eat insoluable fiber, you should never eat it alone.

I hope you feel better. I have spent 35 of my 37 years in various levels of digestive misery...and these past two years of relative health have been so wonderful. Now if I get bloated it really knocks me out that I lived every day like that for years.

Take care of yourself!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I just noticed that I told you whenever I ate dairy (even small amounts) I would be able to tell due to the firming up of the old output. Then i told you I added back butter (in the form of ghee). Could it be I answered my own question?

I'll cut out the ghee for a week and see what happens.

key Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. I am willing to try anything at this point. I am very frustrated. Now I just drank an ensure and feel sick! UGH! Will I ever learn. I need to quit dairy all together. I just don't know what to replace it with since I am vegetarian and I don't seem to be able to handle very much fiber. THat is why I drink citrucel, which I despise!

My mom criticizes me for what I do eat now, but there really isn't much to replace it with. This is destroying my life as I once knew it. I try and stay some what positive, but having digestive issues everyday of some sort, is SO depressing.

I should go see a naturopath, but I know they would tell me to give up soy and dairy. Maybe I should, but I don't know what to replace them with. Lastnight I was SO sick after eating a nectarine and popcorn. I didn't realize that popcorn was so high in fiber until after the fact.

I just want my old life back!

Monica

elonwy Enthusiast

Alos, be careful not to eat to many gluten free replacement products made with rice. Escpecially the breads and pastas, I find that if I eat too much rice based things, I get really bad C regardless of the amount of liquid or fiber I'm getting. Before gluten-free I went between D and C about every three days. ( That was soo much fun, but at least there was variety) and then when I went gluten-free I went so crazy with gluten-free stuff that I had really bad C for a couple weeks before I discovered that if I limited the gluten-free breads and such and ate more natural stuff I level out.

I've spoken to a couple other people who have experienced the same thing.

Elonwy

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I'm wondering what you mean by not being able to eat lots of fiber - like what specifically? That may well be a problem, I'm just trying to figure it out. Most people don't get enough fiber. I get most of mine through veggies like brussells sprouts, sweet potato, etc., and fruit such as avocado. I eat about four pieces of toast a day out of rice/pecan/raisin bread. Typically if I eat no fiber, I get C.

Other than popcorn, do you have any examples of what types of foods you're eating that are high in fiber?

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Broccoli, apples, grapes, pears all seem to help me sometimes B)

key Contributor

Nectarines, apples, brocolli, salads, prunes, pears, flaxseeds ground, blueberries, beans and brown rice. If I just add these things to the diet I am usually following, I end up very bloated and I don't go anyway. For some reason if I drink citrucel it keeps me regular, but I still end up with spastic colon or something every once in a while. I can't seem to tolerate any dairy, so I guess I am going to cut that out. I also probably eat too much of the rice based breads. They are probably very bad for you. I just don't know what to eat anymore. I was so miserable the other night. Now tonight I feel ok, but only had a baked potatoe to eat today, ensure, a nectarine and peanut m&m's. I was so miserable lastnight, I swore I was never eating again. I know that isn't possible, especially since I have three boys under the age of six to care for. I just really want to figure this all out. I swear if I had grown up eating meat, I would be so much better off right now. I just don't know what to eat. For now I am going to eat plan veggies cooked, fruit and I don't know what else. Oh and soy I was eating, but I am cutting that out for now mostly.

Monica

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Wow...all that stuff sounds healthy. What about a sugar intolerance? Like fructose or something. is that possible? I'm just grasping at straws now. I certainly hope you feel better!

key Contributor

I am hoping it is dairy, because I have consumed more then I should at times. I am trying to find stuff I can eat, because nothing seems to agree with me. It is very frustrating and I feel better without dairy for just the past day. Actually I did have M&M's. Do those count?? Yeah, I know they do. I am mainly cutting out drinking milk, cheese and icecream. HOpefully I don't have to give it up completely.

Monica

aikiducky Apprentice

Monica, have you tried substituting with goats milk products instead of cows milk? Maybe you would tolerate those better. I think in any case you should try, even if its just for a few days, to cut all dairy out and see how you feel.

Pauliina

key Contributor

I haven't tried goat cheese or anything, but my dad gave us goats milk one time without telling us and it was NASTY to say the least. It was a long time ago and I still remember it. I will probably just not eat any. I am not good at though. I want something to put in coffee that is dairy free. Any suggestions? I do need to try and be dairy free I know. I always just say a little bit won't hurt me, but maybe it does I don't know.

Monica

burdee Enthusiast

I struggled with chronic constipation for YEARS ... so long that I needed hemorrhoid surgery 6 years ago. I drank copious fluids and ate tons of fiber long before I needed hemorrhoid surgery, but the fluid mostly went to urine. So I had very fibrous HARD, DRY stools. For 10 years my doc misdiagnosed me with IBS with constipation and recommended I eat bran (wheat) cereal which obviously exacerbated my celiac disease symptoms. After I learned I had celiac disease, I thought that abstaining from gluten would relieve constipation. However, my constipation problems AND occasional impacted stools continued until

(1) I eliminated all dairy after my Enterolab tests showed postive casein antibodies. Without dairy, I had less constipation, cramping, bloating and gas. I 'went regularly', but still hard stools until

(2) I read that constipation is a magnesium deficiency symptom and started taking magnesium oxide which gave me more gas, but slightly less hard stools. Eventually I had another episode of impacted stools which influenced me to read more about magnesium to learn Mg oxide is worthless because we can't easily absorb the magnesium. So I read more and learned Magnesium Taurate, Citrate, Aspartate or chelated magnesium are more readily absorbable.

(3) I started taking Country Life Potassium/Magnesium Aspartate about 4 months ago. I experienced softer stools but still some bloating, gas and cramping (while I completely abstained from gluten, dairy & soy). Then I read that I needed LARGE doses of magnesium to improve magnesium levels. When my body's magnesium levels are high enough I would develop diarrhea. Then I could start lowering my doses ... With higher doses I'm doing soooo much better with higher doses, but still haven't developed diarrhea.

(4) I noticed consuming a lot of fiber (beans, rice bran, and fruits/vegies) along with magesium aspartate makes me more 'regular', i.e. I go once or twice a day, rather than many times (as many as 12) a day. So I think fiber improves frequency (whether you go too often or not often enough), but fiber does NOT make stools softer. Even copious fluids don't make the stools softer. ONLY MAGNESIUM DRAWS FLUID INTO THE STOOLS. Otherwise, someone with low magnesium levels who takes psyllium or other kinds of 'fiber' products can end up with HARD impacted stools. FIBER AND FLUIDS ARE WORTHLESS IF MAGNESIUM LEVELS (which control smooth muscle contractions and draw water into the stool) ARE TOO LOW.

(5) Laxatives have too many harmful side effects. Most use stimulants like senna or sorbitol. Many celiacs have leaky gut damage which makes sorbitol consumption painful. You can get small amounts of natural sorbitol from apples or prunes (eat first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for natural laxative effect). Even 'Milk of Magnesia' which contains high doses of magnesium has other ingredients (mineral oil) which can cause vitamin/mineral deficiencies and other damage over prolonged use.

(6) Celiacs are often magnesium deficient because damaged villi don't absorb magnesium from foods we eat. Even after abstaining from gluten or other food intolerances, we need a LOT of magnesium to make up for longterm deficiencies. I believe many celiacs need magnesium supplements at least right after diagnosis.

BURDEE

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Great information! Thanks. I know I'm lacking all the other vitamins/minerals, so I'll start finding some good magneseum and trying that. I'm already better today, but can still feel the process is pretty slow moving through the system. I also appreicate you spelling out hard/impacted stool vs. constipation - because that is definitely more my problem - not that I can't go for long periods of time, but that it is extremely difficult to get out. Thanks, again.

key Contributor

Thanks Burdee, I am will try a good magnesium supplement, but I have tried some kind of magnesium I know. I cut back though and haven't been as faithful. My problem seems to be more of a coordination of my GI muscles or a slow moving thing. I never have that hard of stools, but if I go a day without going, I seem to have spasms in my intestines that are very uncomfortable. I will have pain in my sides and abdomen, bloating(without any gas). I don't know why the citrucel works for me. I don't like taking it though, so would be thrilled to find something different. I had never had constipation in my life until all this. If I eat alot of wheat i have major bloating and diarhea. Otherwise I never have diahrea. I am wondering if small gluttenings cause me to be constipated. It is hard to know. I hope I am not being gluttened, but I wonder. I changed all my products, but I still make sandwiches, etc. for my kids. My blood tests were borderline for celiac and I had been gluten free for two months when tested. I go into denial about every two months. My son has celiac. Every once in awhile I seem to get really sick and my stomach will really act up. Constant moving in my intestines. They spasm and it is VERY uncomfortable to say the least. A heating pad helps some, but these are the times that really depress me.

I never had heartburn either until about 6 months ago or less. Now I am taking Prilosec. I just want to know what the heck is going on. I may go and have the upper GI done to see what he says. I am a big whimp, but would like to make sure there isn't something else going on. I am skinnier then I have ever been in my life, so it makes me wonder why I am not absorbing food properly after a year.

Thanks for the advice though. I will definitely try the Magnesium.

Monica

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Monica:

I had similar symptoms (cramping, gas, spasms and bloating) before I went off gluten/dairy/soy, but still has those symptoms occasionally with absolute abstinence UNTIL I started Magnesium aspartate. Magnsium does control smooth muscle contractions (like intestines). So Mg may help you also. NOT Magnesium Oxide which is the most readily available and cheapest. You need at least 400 mg daily if you are NORMAL. So if you have Mg deficiency symptoms you may need more. I started with 400mg of Magnesium and 500 mg of Vitamin C (stimulant) and added more until I got desired effect. However when I changed to Magnesium Aparatate with Potassium (helps Mg absorption), I cut back on Vitamin C which can cause cramps and diarrhea in unnecessarily large amounts.

I also had chronic heartburn before I abstained from gluten/dairy/soy (first two diagnosed by Enterolab and last self-diagnosed). Prilosec just treats the symptoms without resolving the cause. Every drug has potentially negative side effects. I recommend totally abstaining from gluten and adding a good magnesium supplement to treat both intestinal and heartburn symptoms, which are common celiac disease symptoms. Don't take the magnesium on an empty stomach, if you get heartburn easily.

If you were gluten free 2 months before blood tests, I'm surprised you even got borderline celiac disease results. No gluten usually means no gluten antibodies in the blood, which docs interpret as not celiac disease. Enterolab tests are more sensitive and can detect gluten antibodies in the stool even a year after gluten abstinence. Maybe you thought you were gluten free but still got some contamination when you were tested. I discovered my digestive enzyme (which was recommended for malabsorption symptoms) contained BARLEY. So I took my little gluten pill before every meal while I abstained from all other gluten sources. :lol:

You may need digestive enzymes and probiotics as well as completely abstaining from all gluten to let your intestines heal. Also consider that you may have other food intolerances besides gluten.

Archived