3 replies to this topic

#1 Mia H

Mia H

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

Does anyone know if these ingredients are safe? I thought if they are it would be a good substitute for soy sauce since it tastes similar. Thanks!

water
hydrolyzed corn gluten
soy protein
salt
artificial flavor

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pamelaD

pamelaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:07 AM

Hydrolized Corn Gluten should be OK... ie no wheat gluten.

BUT- I remember the day I was diagnosed and went through my frig.... the maggi sauce was one of the bottles that ended up in the trash.... said 'wheat gluten' right on the label.
Here is the list of ingredients I found on the web:
Water, Salt, Wheat gluten, Wheat, Sugar, Wheat bran, Acetic acid, Caramel color, Artificial flavor, Disodium inosinate, Disodium guanylate, Dextrose monohydrate, Yeast.

So Maggi seasoning/suace is definatley a No-No!!

are you in canada, perhaps? sometimes there are big differences in ingredients when crossing the border?

Pam

#3 Mia H

Mia H

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hydrolized Corn Gluten should be OK... ie no wheat gluten.

BUT- I remember the day I was diagnosed and went through my frig.... the maggi sauce was one of the bottles that ended up in the trash.... said 'wheat gluten' right on the label.
Here is the list of ingredients I found on the web:
Water, Salt, Wheat gluten, Wheat, Sugar, Wheat bran, Acetic acid, Caramel color, Artificial flavor, Disodium inosinate, Disodium guanylate, Dextrose monohydrate, Yeast.

So Maggi seasoning/suace is definatley a No-No!!

are you in canada, perhaps? sometimes there are big differences in ingredients when crossing the border?

Pam

I bought it at a Ukrainian deli so it probably is imported from Germany, but it is probably also very old so I think I should throw it away anyway. But if hydrolyzed corn gluten is ok maybe I will get a new bottle at the deli because it tastes like soy sauce and I like the flavor. Are there gluten-free soy sauces available? I didn't see any at my health food store.

Thanks!

Mia

#4 pamelaD

pamelaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hi again Mia,

I use and really like San-J Wheat Free Tamari (they also have a low-sodium version).

LaChoy soy sauce is also gluten free, but I personally think it is not good tasting at all.

Good Luck,
Pam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: