Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tapioca Starch/flour

6 posts in this topic

I was just at the store looking for tapioca flour for a recipe and all they had was tapioca starch - is it the same thing? What about potato flour/starch?

Ads by Google:
I was just at the store looking for tapioca flour for a recipe and all they had was tapioca starch - is it the same thing? What about potato flour/starch?

tapioca starch and flour are the same, but potato starch and potato flour are *not* the same. (one comes from cooked potatoes, one from uncooked, and they behave very differently. I don't remember which is which at the moment, but use whichever recipes tell you to use and don't substitute between the two.)

tapioca starch and flour are the same, but potato starch and potato flour are *not* the same. (one comes from cooked potatoes, one from uncooked, and they behave very differently. I don't remember which is which at the moment, but use whichever recipes tell you to use and don't substitute between the two.)

The problem with potato starch and potato flour is that there is also a product called "potato starch flour", which I believe is the same as potato starch.

The problem with potato starch and potato flour is that there is also a product called "potato starch flour", which I believe is the same as potato starch.

yep - I read the other thread about that one too. you're right on that one. (definitely a case where we need to not overload our terms! :o )

yep - I read the other thread about that one too. you're right on that one. (definitely a case where we need to not overload our terms! :o )

I knew recipes called for this product, but I didn't know what it was til I traveled and saw it on the shelf in a supermarket, then looked it up on the internet. Swan's makes it and calls it "Potato Starch Flour". Until I saw this I just thought there was a lot of confused terminology floating around.

The Ener-g product that I buy is also called "Potato Starch Flour". Really confused me at first!