#1 dh204

dh204

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: does anyone know if recurrent yeast infections can be a symptom or related to celiac disease or wheat/gluten intolerance?

I've noticed since I've developped my wheat intolerance that I have been having recurrent yeast infections -- at least once every other month.

Thanks for any info!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TCA

TCA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:46 AM

It is for me, but it's better now that I'm gluten-free. I just know my aunt and cousin have it too and they have them too. You need to take some probiotics.
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:00 AM

Make sure they actually are yeast infections - have it swabbed and at the least checked under the microscope if not cultured. A number of times what recurs actually isn't a yeast infection. (Been there...) There is some thought there could be a connection, but nothing more than a few anecodotal reports at this point. Additionally, if it is a non-candida strain, any medication taken would be unlikely to get rid of it and could lead to a cyclic case.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Cape

Cape

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:16 AM

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: does anyone know if recurrent yeast infections can be a symptom or related to celiac disease or wheat/gluten intolerance?

I've noticed since I've developped my wheat intolerance that I have been having recurrent yeast infections -- at least once every other month.

Thanks for any info!

Hi. I had a ton of yeast infections before I stopped gluten, but still had some afterwards. After a year of researching all of my symptoms which are related to foods, I have figured out that I have leaky gut sydrome. LGS is when the small intestiine's pores are larger than normal, letting larger, not properly digested proteins out into the blood stream. This causes all sorts of problems. I have referred pain in my joints which depending on what I eat makes the pain worse or non existant. You have to heal the gut to "reset" it. One of the things that needs to be done is to rid it of the over growth of yeast. It's kind of a long term project because of all of the nooks and crannies in the gut.

The first thing that I would suggest is to cut way back on all of your sugar consumption. When I did that, my yeast infections cleared up pretty quickly. Just a question... do you also have eczema? Yeast over growth is what seems to cause eczema. Check out this web site- www.eczema-usa.com It gives detailed information of how you get rid of yeast. Also Google or Leaky Gut Syndrom and read about that.

Hope some of my time reading the web and talking with doctors helps you.

#5 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

I used to have them all the time before going gluten-free, but (knocking on wood) have only had 1 since going gluten-free about 4 months ago. The originally were set off by taking antibiotics, but then I would get them for no apparent reason....it was ridiculous and $$ b/c only the strong perscription stuff would get rid of them. Not sure if gluten intolerance plays a part or not.....it could be that I don't eat as much sugar now and eat a lot less bread, obviously.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#6 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

like tannelberry said, i would look into candida, as it causes yeast infections and did you say your gluten intolerant? have you had a celiac panel done yet? if yes and it was negative i would definatly look into candida because it also causes intolerances to food expecally gluten here is a test you can take- note--- this test is not ment to diagnose you with this if you feel you may have it please go see a real doctor
this is a long test
http://www.candidafr...ges/5/index.htm
this is a short test & how to do the spit test
http://www.candidasu...s.html#Dr Crook

hope you figure out whats wrong

#7 dh204

dh204

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

hey everyone,

i have had swabs done and all that and each time it was a yeast infection except for once, when it was streptococcus B (i think, I can't really remember right now -- it's been REALLY windy these days and now my allergies are out of control -- I literally just went through an entire box of tissues in like 6 hours).

the yeast infections have slowly been getting better, but I also wonder if it's maybe due to my birth control pill....although it's an extremely low-dose pill so I dont really have very many negative side effects. they seem to usually occur right after I've had my period. But I was also curious about yeast infections and wheat allergies since it seems that there are an awful lot of related disorders.

I haven't gotten tested yet for celiac...I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome a few years ago. Then I guess it was 2 years ago the same doctor told me I also had a wheat sensitivity and I should maybe try to avoid eating so much of it. Anyway, I was a bit skeptical about the wheat sensitivity so I went to my allergist and asked her to test me for a wheat allergy, which she did, by doing a skin test. Turns out I was allergic to wheat and soy, but no reaction to corn or dairy. Because I didn't have a severe skin reaction to the test, she said it was probably just a minor allergy. And so I went hardcore on a wheat-free diet (although I admittedly will veer off course and eat something with wheat in it, although sometimes I do it unintentionally). It's been about a year that I've been wheat free, but now that I've been living in France for the past year, I haven't been able to do a test for celiac....I'm under the impression that it's recognized here only by intestinal biopsy and since I haven't eaten wheat for awhile now, I'm afraid the results might be negative. For the time being I don't know if I've got a wheat intolerance, a gluten intolerance or celiac....I seem to have all the symptoms except maybe for the eczema...I'm not sure that the eczema I've got is DH, and I haven't had an opportunity so far as I know, of eating only rye bread or what not that has gluten but no wheat...the stuff here that's wheat free is also gluten free, so I just stick with that...

Thanks for all the advice though, this forum is really great!

#8 Kelly J.

Kelly J.

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I've recently been diagnosed with celiac disease, and I've had recurrent yeast infections for years. I had my endoscopy today and I'm going gluten free now. I'm curious to find out if the yeast infections will be less frequent or non existant after going gluten free for awhile.

#9 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

Yes and no..Please let me explain. It is not a simple yes or no. It depends on you and your body's ability to heal. It is quite important that you stay committed to a gluten-free diet as well as have a healthy blood sugar and intestinal tract. Probiotics such as Acidophilus should be taken on a daily basis to keep the friendly flora in your intestines in check. It takes time to establish a healthy intestinal tract and a healthy body but with a change in diet, the right support and time you should have a reduction in your yeast flare-ups!

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: