Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Home Food Allergy Testing

3 posts in this topic

Have any of you had the ELISA food intolerance test that you do at home done?

http://www.yorkallergyusa.com/

I have been sick at least once a week sometimes for two or three days in the last month. I have been gluten-free for 7 months and I am really very, very careful. Our house is totally gluten-free. I even buy gluten-free cereal and snacks for when my grandkids come to visit. I seldom eat anything that I haven't made from scratch in my own kitchen. I am quite sure that I have eliminated as many sources of contamination as are humanly possible.

I am thinking that I must have an intolerance or allergy to something in addition to the gluten. The ELISA test looks like a good way to go but it is so expensive I wondered if anyone else has done it and if you found the results to be accurate and worth the investment.

(I have not been able to work for the last six months because of all the sick days that I still have so money has definately become a serious consideration.)

Ads by Google:

Maybe you've already considered this, :huh: but I thought I'd throw this out: Have you eliminated lactose as well? I discovered I was lactose intolerant LONG before I discovered gluten intolerance (which often causes lactose intolerance by damaging the villi which digest lactose). I use lactaid supplements to consume dairy. However, I may also be sensitve to caseine. I'm still awaiting my Enterolab package of tests with the free milk sensitivity test. :( I hope I'm not also sensitive to casein--Lactaid has allowed me to eat dairy all these years ... or maybe not. Anyway you might eliminate all dairy or use lactaid to see if you symptoms disappear, before you try to eliminate everything. Dealing with lactose and gluten intolerance are time-consuming enough for me. :blink:

Hi,

Due to numerous ear infections, stuffy nose, headaches and dizziness our nutritionist recommended the York Allergy test for my daughter. It was very easy to do at home and the results came in about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, my daughter showed reactions to everything from gluten, milk, corn, eggs, and wheat to oranges and cashews. I have eliminated most from her diet and she is SOOOOOOOO much better. She used to have a headache everyday...now no more headaches or stuffiness. She still gets occasional (sp?) dizziness but I would definietly recommend the lab/test. It is a highly ranked lab because their results are reliable unlike other labs. (samples of the same blood yielded similar test results).

It has been the best thing I have done for my daughter. She had been to 3 allergists and did not react to the food "skin prick tests" so nobody thought that she had food allergies.

If you have any questions please contact me via this site.

Becky

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Marip, Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease or Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance?  I notice you joined in 2014.  Did you ever go guten free?  How can we help?   Sorry, I'm not a stool expert!  You could Google it...  Malabsorption?  Standard lab tests that check for anemia and vitamin deficiencies, etc.  should help make that diagnosis.  
    • You can eat just a slice or two (or equivalent) of bread a day for accurate testing.   I understand about the high deductibles.  We're self-employed and we pay for our health insurance. 
    • Sure, if it's gluten free, then fine.  I am very allergic (like anaphylactic) to ibuprofen and aspirin.  So, in my case, I would just tough it out.  Go to bed.  Sleep it off.....eventually. My money is on the garlic and onions.  I can't consume those either (damn that zonulin/leaky gut -- google it along with Dr. Fasano).  I just season with salt, pepper.  Boring.  But no gut issues.  I'm hoping like my lactose intolerance (resolved), that I will get garlic and onions back.   Finally, sometimes just eating anything can hurt when you still have intestinal damage.  Hopefully, you'll feel better in two or three hours if it's celiac related.  Longer if it's an intolerance (leaky gut thing....) Hugs!      
    • I read on their website that all Advil is gluten free, I had such bad pinching cramping today(which I don't why since I prepared all my food at home today.) I made a pot roast, salt garlic, onions...No gluten but still pain, That's the only thing I ate today..I don't eat breakfast or anything.   Anyways.   Is it a good idea to take Advil for the cramping? That's how I would describe it like someone is reaching inside me and pinching me and twisting my insides.    This is what I took  
    • I'll give my PCP a call tomorrow and see what they can offer. My only worry is the expense as anymore tests will put me behind in being able to afford to see the GI. I have high deductible insurance but get money put into my HSA. I'm still trying to pay off the CT scan though. Which is why I'm trying to pick and choose which poses the greatest risk for me right now and what can wait. (Though I would prefer not to wait on any of it.)

I really do hope its only IBS. Though I always worry IBS is more or less a doctors way of saying "I have no clue" at that point. :C

Again, I'll be sure to give my PCP a call tomorrow then and see what the options are. I can feel a lot better trying the blood work first. however, once that is done, do I still need to be on a gluten diet before the endoscopy? Also, is it ok if I still mildly reduce the gluten. As in, can I avoid a whole wheat pasta dinner, but still be eating the peanut butter crackers? That sort of thing. Again I guess that is more of a doctor related question. I just wasn't sure if in order to raise your chance, you have to mass consume gluten or not. (Its already in just about everything to begin with.)   --Edit--
      I just now reread the part that you still need to be on the gluten foods even for biopsy so I'll be sure to do that too.

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tridoc927