Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Irish Heritage And Celiac's

188 posts in this topic

My husband and daughter have celiac. My husband's mom was a MCCoy. Lots of Scotch Irish on her side of the family. She definitely had all the symptoms; though, since my husband was diagnosed a few months after her death from intestinal cancer the connection was never made.

Ads by Google:

Okay, I am 100% Polish!!! I am not dx yet, but I know my problems have something to do with gluten. My fam. came over on the boat 2 generations ago on one side and the other 3 generations. So what are you guys telling me? I'm crazy after all!?? Where are all of my Polaks to prove me right!?!

i have a lot of stuff in me but mostly irish and polish and the irish side has always had digestive problems, very interesting.

Never heard about the % of Italians--I'm all Italian, both mom & dad. I think my mother and 1 sister have it but they aren't doing anything about it at the moment.

Dad is Irish and Cherokee. My mom is all German. Dad had terrible digestion. So did his little sister. Her 2nd son has Celiac. Kind of nice having a cousin to share this with.

Libby.

celiac disease/HH/OA/Hypothyroidism/Lupus B)

I am Irish,Mimac Indian,English from my Mom's side her last name is O Lawler she also has Celiac. And I am part Finnish from my Dad's side.

I'm the Celiac in my family. My dad is Scotch-Irish and my mom is a mixture but mostly Scandanavian.

My husband's family is Irish; his sister, 1st cousin and half great aunt have Celiacs.

Dana

i'm first generation scottish on my mom's side and second generation scottish and irish on my dad's. to my knowledge, i am the only person in my family with celiac.

My IgG came back positive last week.

I'm part Irish and part Spanish (probably Mayan as well but not sure). I say I probably have about 25% Irish from my mother's side and 75% Spanish from my father's side.

Carol :unsure:

Rachel .... now there is two of us. I'm also part Spanish :)

Dad's side: Irish and French. My dad (and some of his family members) has had terrible digestion problems for a long time, but he won't be tested for celiac

Mom's side: Italian, Native American, and possibly English

I'm mostly Irish, Scottish, English, and Delaware/Lenape Indian (American Indian).

Rachel .... now there is two of us. I'm also part Spanish :)

Yeah! I'm not the only one anymore. :D

I think I must be 25% Spanish, 25% Italian, 50% Mexican....or something like that. <_<

I am second generation Irish. One set of Grandparents came from County Cork and the others came from Belfast. The only side that had the symptoms were the ones who were from Cork. They were "country people". The other side that was from Belfast didn't have any signs from celiac disease, but there was Diabetes and Colon and Prostate Cancer. I was really happy to claim all this Irish heritage until I got diagnosed. Now I know why we put so much stock in the potato.....

Hi. Just wanted to chime in. Another Irish lass here! I'm gluten sensitive (and I have autoimmune thyroid disease). I suspect my mom, sister, and grandmother are as well. I have Irish heavily on both sides. I also have German heavily on one side.

100% Irish and 10% German :blink:

French from my dad's side, Irish and German from my moms side. I haven't been tested for celiac yet, but have many of the symptoms and just found out my son has it.

I have gotten Celiac from my dad, who has it also. On my Dad's side from where I got it he is almost 100% Irish. So I got it from my Irish heritage.

On my mom's side I have English, German and Irish.

I have really found this interesing.

my dad is 100% irish, my mom is slovak and english.

I am also Irish & German - and a little French, Swedish, and English. Fascinating. My father is an English/Nordic mix, my mother is the German, Irish, Frenchwoman.

This thread is a monster!!

I am 50% Irish (as my Irish Grandma reminds me) and 50% Pennsylvania Dutch (DEUTSCH).

If anyone is interested in a brief list of the possible reasons for the term "Pennsylvania Dutch" here is a link.

German and Dutch

Scottish, Irish, English, and Norwegian.

Irish and French-Canadian-Indian. That second one is all one. My great grandmother was Indian and lived on a reservation in Canada. She had a tribal name and also a French name.

Irish, Scottish, Ukrainian.

My Irish grandfather died at 65 of stomach cancer.

My son is Irish, Italian, and English and he is a Celiac. But it is passed on in my fathers side of the family who is half Italian, half English, no Irish. I read early on when my son was first diagnosed that this illness is predominant in the northern European counties.

Nicole