#121 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

German and Dutch
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

Scottish, Irish, English, and Norwegian.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#123 Girl Ninja

Girl Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Irish and French-Canadian-Indian. That second one is all one. My great grandmother was Indian and lived on a reservation in Canada. She had a tribal name and also a French name.

#124 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

Irish, Scottish, Ukrainian.

My Irish grandfather died at 65 of stomach cancer.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#125 Nic

Nic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

My son is Irish, Italian, and English and he is a Celiac. But it is passed on in my fathers side of the family who is half Italian, half English, no Irish. I read early on when my son was first diagnosed that this illness is predominant in the northern European counties.

Nicole

#126 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:50 AM

A little Irish, English, and German.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#127 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

Mom's side: Norwegian, Irish (might be others, but this is the majority)
Dad's side: Swedish, Scottish, English, French, German (I'm sure there's more, but this is what I have thus far)

#128 Queen Serenity

Queen Serenity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all of you responses! You have made this survey very interesting for me. We all have different backgrounds, and yet, we carry that "special" gene that causes Celiac's. Eleven years ago, I felt so isolated, because not many people even heard of it. Now, there are so many people aware, that even certain restaurants carry a special menu. I opened up this topic, just to see how many people shared the same kind of genetic background as myself. It's interesting that the majority that responded, still have some kind of Irish. But, it is equally interesting, that other countries of North Europe, also have it too. Please keep up with the survey. I enjoy reading all of the responses.

Vicki :)

#129 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

Hmmm. I thought I'd answered this before, but I guess not.

Ty's got from my side: Irish (mostly) with a wee bit of Scottish and Welsh
from his dad: more Irish, bit of English and on his paternal grandfather's side they aren't sure if it's Czech or Hungarian. They lived in Czechoslovakia but spoke Hungarian.

We like to call ourselves Canadian though. B)
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#130 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

Irish on both sides, a little welsh and french. Hmmm. interesting though...

#131 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hmmm. I thought I'd answered this before, but I guess not.

Ty's got from my side: Irish (mostly) with a wee bit of Scottish and Welsh
from his dad: more Irish, bit of English and on his paternal grandfather's side they aren't sure if it's Czech or Hungarian. They lived in Czechoslovakia but spoke Hungarian.

We like to call ourselves Canadian though. B)

I had a little deja vu too so I checked & there's another related thread:

http://www.glutenfre...?showtopic=6797

I'm an English/Irish/Scottish/French mutt.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#132 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

I had a little deja vu too so I checked & there's another related thread:

http://www.glutenfre...?showtopic=6797

I'm an English/Irish/Scottish/French mutt.

Leah

A HA! I'm NOT crazy! Well, maybe just a little. :ph34r:
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#133 Chrisser

Chrisser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

This is interesting...

Irish on both sides...not sure where it comes in on my dad's side, but my maternal great-grandmother came to Ellis Island.

#134 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:42 AM

My IgG came back positive last week.

I'm part Irish and part Spanish (probably Mayan as well but not sure). I say I probably have about 25% Irish from my mother's side and 75% Spanish from my father's side.

Carol :unsure:
Rachel .... now there is two of us. I'm also part Spanish :)

Most people from the Southern counties of Ireland are also part Spanish if that means anything.

The fact is it doesn't mean anything because most Irish people also have scandanavian genes as well, not to mention that genetically the Irish and North African Berbers are also genetically very close.

Just to be clear, there is no such race as Italian or French or Swiss or German...
Perhaps Italian might be easiest to explain.

Firstly Italy did not exist ever as a country until 1861... but we are already getting way ahead of ourselves.
Early Italian settlers in the paleolithic could be said to be the first "Italians" ... one group were the Atlantans (the old name for ONE of the peoples of Euboea) an Ionic people. (and already very mixed up)

Evidence points to around the 8thC B.C. for the ionic colonisation of what is now Italy.
About the same time as Pygmalion was King of Tyre, shoshenk III was King of Egypt (pre pharonic era) and Assyria conquered Damascus and Samaria both eventually united under Nabkunasser (spell it as you will)

Traditionally the date is 734 BC two years after Hoshea became King of Isreal. and 4 years before he was defeated by Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria.

Meanwhile, further North ... the Villanovan culture was being superceded by the Etruscans and Romulus and Remus had founded Rome.

Meanwhile the Spartans had already founded Tarus (now Taranto) ... and the list goes on and on.

Under the Roman republic a certain amount of mixing was obviously going on... and genetically a huge amount of influx from the whole Roman empire. Much of southern Italy was still Greek in culture and even language, Naples was using Greek up to Napoleonic times. Spanish influence was also huge... and at this time the Spanish were a mainly Celtic race with the addition of phoenecian and catheginian influence, indeed prior to the Punic wars the Ebro maked the boundary between Carthaginian and Roman and the Cartheginins themselves having settled Carthage from phoenecia but also including tyre and others.

Post and late Empire ... Constantine was at least 50% Serbian, his mother being an inkeepers daughter from modern Niš. The genetics of his father Flavius Valerius Constantius .. being the matter of a reasonable amount of historical dispute ...

Common figures (and the Romans were very thorough at figures) show something like 40% of the population of the Roman "Italy" were slaves and of these over 90% would be non-Roman slaves. Equally many or most citizens were not Roman or even genetically from Italy. Most people may have heard of a Roman citizen called Saul for instance. This wasn't an odd event... any free man born in a colony was a citizen. A colony however was NOT just somewhere Rome ruled over, it was a special status.. colonies paid less tax and their citizens were according Roman citizenship.

.. if this wasn't enough the post Roman period brought an equal amount of genetic influx. The rather obvious germanic vandals and gothic tribes from Scandanavia in the first instance followed by Normans and Lombards (both again of Scandanavian origin) while meanwhile the city states of Genoa, Venice, Pisa and Florence were trading between the near east and Northern Europe, fighting amongst themselves and occaisionally against the Moors. Each progressive wave of moors brought forwards immigrants from the former Eastern Empire... from what is now Turkey, Cyprus and Greece. Each had a distinct and different dialect ... no closer to Modern Italian than catalunian or modern French.

Down south ... from 1494 the French king Charles VIII opened a series of invasions quickly added to by the Spanish until the treaty of Cateau-Cambresis in 1559 recognised Spain's soverenty over the Kingdom of Naples.

.. right up to the Peace of Utrecht (1713) ... when the Hapsburgs took power of State of Milan and the Kingdom of Naples leaving the centre of Italy to stagnate under the intellectual opression of Papal control.

Napoleon destroyed the Republic of Venice in 1799 ... and restored much of Italy to a non sectarian pro-Italian nationalist state. (the previous 200 yrs being vassal states of Spain and Austria) This is the first real time that Italy existed as an entity....

Every single European country (with the exception of Iceland if we wish to be inclusive) is every bit as mixed up.
Pick a country .. and follow its history ...pick out genetics and look.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#135 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Totally Irish & Scottish (some french too) here!!
Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.
Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.
Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.
Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: